Which Resort on the Big Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had to pick between Hapuna, Hilton or the Marriott which one would it be? I have stayed at Hilton before without kids. This time bringing kids 10 and 16. The Hapuna sounds wonderful but is it a place kids would enjoy?
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:00 AM
bonniebroad

Kimjoy, I have stayed at the Marriott on a couple of visits, and really, really like the place. Visited the Hilton, which I thought would be great with young children, but found it to be somewhat *artificial.* The Hapuna and it's beach sound really great, but I wonder if the kids might like the Marriott better? It's location on "A" Bay is just amazing, and their pools are fun....... We like the outdoor bar where they always have music in the evenings, and the grounds..... and I think it is a very Hawaiian resort. We like to buy the Entertainment Book, and reserve an oceanfront room for half-price, a great value when they're available!!! Their luau is also good, and I'm not big on luaus.......... but theirs' was smaller and a lot of fun!

You'll have a blast at either one, I'm sure, but I would probably go for the Marriott with kids of that age. Have a wonderful time!

Old May 29th, 2004, 02:26 AM

The beach is better at the Hapuna Beach Prince, but the pool is nicer at the Marriott. Both are wonderful resorts, with the HBP being a bit more upscale -- more food options, nicer rooms etc.

Old May 29th, 2004, 04:30 PM

We are going back again and we will stay at the Hilton again. We stayed there in 1998 but chose a condo in Kona (Kanaloa at Kona). The condo was wonderful but we all loved the Hilton.
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:48 PM

My 6 year old loved the Hapuna Prince. We went over to the Hilton and was not impressed. We swam in the pool (way over rated in my opinion)& and daughter did the Dolphin Qwest (again highly over rated). Having just got back from WDW, I now know why the locals call the Hilton the Disney hotel (crowded and artifical). I honestly do not know anything about the Marriott so I cannot comment on that hotel.
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Hapuna Beach!!! Just left there a week ago. I was really impressed with the place. But I do believe it's a very different "style" than most resorts I saw on my trip. Some folks might think it's too stark, but it was great for us. I also liked the size of our room, and we were even in the "cheap seats." I loved the pool, and the snorkeling (early in the AM before the water's too churned up) was halfway decent. I wasn't as impressed with the Mauna Kea next door, but you do have access to all the amenities at both hotels. The Hapuna Prince's pool was just great, I thought. Make sure you have dinner one night at the Mauna Kea, and go check out the manta ray lookout. Aloha!
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:59 AM

You are not going to find a more beautiful beach than Hapuna anywhere on the island. I saw plenty of kids, also.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:53 PM

We were there with my 3 children last August and stay at the Hilton for a week.
It drove me crazy to get to my room.
It literally takes 15 minutes to take the tram OR walk a mile!!!!
Not convient at all. We checked out and went to Hapuna Prince.
What a difference!!!!!
Highly recommend it!!!! The Hilton is like "Disneyland" and does not have a beach!!! Good luck!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 06:54 AM

Hapuna would be my choice. I was unimpressed with the Hilton man made beach. We never got to the Marriott, so I can't comment on that. We loved the Hapuna....family of 4, 1-13 year old and 1-16. I thought the Hapuna pool was beautiful and there's plenty of shade when we just wanted to sit around out of the sun. Also you can walk to the Mauna...something, next door where we found the snorkling to be pretty good. That Mauna place is suppose to have a spot to see Manta Rays also but we didn't find it. The rooms are huge at the Hapuna and their bathrooms and showers are fabulous.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:00 AM

Another vote for Hapuna.... stayed there 2 years ago with kids then 14 and 12 and loved it! The beach is wonderful.... we were there for a work convention so didn't get a chance to check out the restaurants. We did visit the Hilton but it was much to spread out for us - not very peaceful. Prefer the beach over a pool any day. The rooms are fairly good size and the bathrooms are huge. The big island is great - can't wait to go back!