Search

Hawaii's Big Island

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii's Big Island

We are planning a trip to the island of Hawaii at the end of April. Does anyone have information regarding the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, the Courtyard at Kona, the Hilton Waikoloa resort or the Sheraton Kona Resort. We are a couple in our 60's. We appreciate quiet surroundings.
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 02:28 PM

The Marriott and Hilton are both in the Waikoloa resort area north of the airport. The landscape is mostly lava, but you're near the best beaches on the island. The Marriott is on the A-Bay which is a nice beach.

The Hilton is quite large. The last time we were on the Big Island, we rented a condo in the Waikoloa area near both the Marriott and Hilton. I got lost while jogging around the Hilton grounds two mornings in a row. It's huge!

I prefer the Waikoloa area to staying in Kona. Kona is pretty busy and crowded, and it's often more gray due to the vog than Waikoloa. The beaches are much better in the Waikoloa area, too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 02:45 PM

I second the Waikoloa area; the Marriott will be less spread out, less hectic than the Hilton, and the beach is much nicer.
Sheraton Kona Resort doesn't have a beach to speak of, and the Courtyard is right next to the pier, on a busy road.
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 02:46 PM

BTW, there's a good selection of condos in that area, close to Kings and Queens shopping centers, across from A-Bay (quieter than a resort hotel).
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:10 PM

If quiet surroundings are a priority imo you should rule out both the King Kam (Courtyard at Kona) and Hilton Waikoloa. The first is directly in the middle of the busiest area on the island, and the other is so big that it's basically Disneyland without the rides. The Marriott is smaller as mentioned and, unlike the other three choices, has a decent adjacent white sand beach. The King Kam also has one but it's the size of a postage stamp and isn't worth the effort imo.

For something closer to Kailua-Kona the Sheraton is an easy pick over the Courtyard imo. It's in Keauhou a few miles removed from the worst traffic in Kailua-Kona.
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 01:24 AM

Check Costco Travel, they have really good package deals (with or without airfare) on BI resorts, including Marriott Waikoloa and others. Perks, upgrades, free breakfast, car rental etc.
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

I have appreciated the information regarding the hotels. We have decided not to stay in the Kona area because of your advice. Now we are considering the Fairmont Orchid or the Marriott resort at Waikoloa.
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Can you provide information regarding these two?
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 04:28 AM

Their websites have a lot of info; what specifically do you want to know?
The Marriott is probably more budget friendly, with more shopping and dining choices within walking distance, a much larger real beach, and better beach strolling (there's also an open air shuttle bus).
Fairmont is more a "stay on the premises" resort.
I'd suggest signing up for either chain's loyalty club, just in case there are perks available.
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 05:12 AM

Remember, that theses hotels have daily resort fees, so figure that in to cost.

I REALLY suggest you check out Costco travel. You can look at prices and offers without being a member. Their car rental prices can't be beat. Eif you need to join to book, you will likely save more than the $55 annual fee on first trip.
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 08:59 AM

mailmate, of those two choices the Orchid is a no-brainer winner imo. Much quieter place with a nicer beach imo. Standard rooms have among the nicest bathrooms on the island (they're huge, about one-third of the room sq. footage) and we got spoiled real quick by them.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 07:33 AM

I agree on Costco! I got a room at the Mauna Lani with breakfast and a car cheaper than anywhere else I can find and I have been looking for months!
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 04:03 PM

we have used Costco on many trips including the Big Island several times and have saved a bundle. We have done with and without air fare. Good deal. Check them out
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Fairmont is definitely more upscale and is a nicer hotel than the Marriott. The Marriott is nice too and is closer to shopping centers and some other restaurant choices. We liked the Hilton, but the Hilton is HUGE. We have stayed at the Hilton and also a Hilton timeshare, but we had kids with us and all the action was good for families. We have dined at the Fairmont and at the Marriott. I like the Fairmont better as a more elegant hotel in a quieter setting. For a couples trip, I recommend the fairmont.