Waikiki by myself....any travel ideas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking a vacation by myself in October to Waikiki for 6 days. (I'm staying at the Waikiki Parc if you have any thoughts or comments) Although I just plan to relax, I'd like to do a few things other than just lay on the beach all day. I have a back injury, so surfing, hiking, etc. are out of the question. But, I'm open to walking tours (has anyone taken the haunted city tour?) or has anyone gone to the flea market? Also, how is the bus transportation? I've also thought about renting a scooter to get around the island for a day to shoot some pictures (I'm into photography) Lastly, I'm on a budget....so, does anyone have any favourite food recommendations? Specifically breakfast or lunch buffets? Thanks in advance. I'd appreciate any advice or ideas you might have!
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 08:07 PM

I stayed at the Waikiki Parc in May and loved it.
The location is excellent and an easy walk to the beach and Kalakaua Ave.

The hotel has a pretty extensive breakfast buffet, check out your booking as breakfast may be included in your room price,.. ours was.

Hiring a scooter is fine for around Waikiki but I would feel vulnerable on the freeways without the added protection of a car.

We went to the flea market at Aloha Stadium and it is well worth going to. The amount of stalls is mind blowing but we made it right around and there is lots of variety to keep it interesting.
I got some great wooden carvings here that I hadn't seen anywhere in Waikiki.

Driving the island is fun, the North Shore is quiet and laid back, stop off at Hanauma Bay for snorkeling.

You can get some fairly cheap eats in places on Lewers Street (handy to the hotel) and the plate lunches are a good cheap meal. (Rice and tasty stew...yum)

There are loads of tours and things on offer so check out the tour desk at the hotel, they will sort things out for you.

Enjoy your trip and i'm sure after your week at the Parc, you will be rested and relaxed.

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:08 PM

andiamo, do a search and you will pull up a ton of cheap eats on Oahu threads. In the meantime....the haunted Honolulu tour used to be led by Glen Grant, and everyone I know who's done it had the bejabbers scared outta them! Unfortunately Mr. Grant recently passed away and I don't know if anyone has taken his place. You could probably find a reasonable facsimile thru stores like Sedona or the Prosperity Corner, who no doubt will be having Halloween specials.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:09 PM

andiamo - I went to Waikiki for two weeks by myself this past summer and it was the best trip I've ever taken. In fact, I stayed just across the street from where you'll be - at the Hawaiiana Hotel and it was wonderful. Besides being beautiful and well located, it had a kitchenette which saved me a lot of $$. Next door to the Hawaiiana is The Breakers Hotel - they have a little bar by their pool and serve burgers and drinks during the afternoon - great cheeseburgers!

Be sure to pick up all the different "Things To Do" magazines and comb them for coupons, there are oodles of them. When I was there they had coupons for Subway sandwiches (around the block from your hotel, on Lewers St.) and the Shore Bird breakfast buffet (in the Outrigger Reef at the end of the block), sundaes at Baskins Robbins and Ghiradelli and many, many others.

As far as transportation, I took The Bus all over the place. Hopefully their strike will be over by the time you get there.

I took the tour through the Iolani Palace ($20) and loved it. I also went on the free tour of the Sheraton Moana Surfrider Hotel (the oldest hotel on Waikiki) and it was very interesting.

There are many shows around Waikiki in the various hotels that don't charge (except for the drinks or food you purchase) which helps with your budget. On Monday nights at the Waikiki Marriott, up on the 3rd floor terrace (by the pool) they have a really good Polynesian show. They have hula dancers and although they sing lots of the usual "hapa-haole" songs, they also feature several songs written & recorded by local entertainers. On Friday nights at the Royal Hawaiian hotel's "MaiTai Bar" they have a great trio who interacts with the audience and is very enjoyable. On Saturday nights you can sit in the Paradise Lounge of the Hilton Hawaiian Village and listen to Olomana - a local recording group who sings Hawaiian songs (in Hawaiian). They are very good.

One enjoyable experience I had was making a lei to take home to my daughter. In the lobby of the Outrigger Reef there is a lei stand and for $5 you can be taught how to make a lei. It's fun and interesting to talk stories with the teacher.

Don't forget to walk through Chinatown - they have great produce and yummy pastries and all sorts of things at better prices than you'll find in Waikiki. Also, the swapmeet out at the Aloha Stadium is much more reasonable for souviners.

You will have a great time.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:26 PM

I go to Oahu by myself almost every year. I do a google search for events on the Island during the time of my stay. Last year I went to wonderful concert.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:19 AM

Scooters can't go on major highways like over the Pali or Likelike or H1. So you can't really get the full circle island view.

There is a lighthouse walk to DH you may like.

Duke's buffet is good with a great view.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:20 AM

My favorite spot to go alone with a good book is the Sheraton Moana Surfrider for drinks and pupus.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

WOW! This is better than any web site or guide book I've read! Thank you to all of you for your advice....and KEEP IT COMING!!! I really appreciate all the advice and ideas! I don't leave for a month, so I'll keep checking in. Thank you so much...esp. those of you that provided extra details! I'll definitely follow your advice! Just wanted to say thank you! And, for those of you with more advice, please....keep it coming...I'm reading and taking notes! THANKS!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Where is Duke's Buffet? Sounds good!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:51 AM

I think the poster meant "Duke's" which is not a buffet, but is located on the beach at the Outrigger Waikiki. It is a great bar/restaurant. I went there (alone) one Saturday afternoon and sat at the bar. I ordered a delicious banana/rum concoction (a panini, I think they called it) and a plate of nachos. It was a great place to watch the day end - the sunset was pretty as were all the people. There was a trio playing music on the patio and lots of energy and excitement all through the place. I could sit there at the bar and look out at the ocean and watch surfers doing their thing. It was fun meeting people at the bar as well. I think you'd enjoy it. If you choose to eat in the restaurant you should get a reservation, though, because it's a really busy place.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:10 PM

Andiamo, my first visit to Oahu I was alone but never lonely. I think it's a great destination solo. One of my favorite areas is the Kailua/Lanaki beaches. This area is more like you'd imagine the "real" Hawaii is. It's never crowded and there's plenty to see and do. Rent a car for atleast one day and drive over. Grab a sandwich and drinks and enjoy some of the best swimming and snorkeling around. It's also a blast to watch the wind surfers if you're back won't allow that much activity.
I'm not your doctor but I do know that swimming is one of the best recovery therapies. Been there myself!
I personally think Waikiki is VERY busy and I'm not sure I'd recommend a scooter. I can't imagine anything worse than hitting the concrete on one of those things bad back or not! Save the scooter rental and get a car for atleast one day. See the real Oahu, It's not Waikiki although that area can be a lot of fun..
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:51 PM

If you rent a car to drive over to Kailua and Lanikai Beach, be sure to stop off at Boots & Kimo's in Kailua for breakfast - they make the most AWESOME macademia nut pancakes!! I don't know what street it's on, but I'm sure your hotel could tell you, or else give them a call. It's a pretty busy place, but worth the few minutes you may have to wait. After you've finished breakfast, go relax on Lanikai Beach, or Waimanalo. When my boyfriend took me to Waimanalo beach this summer they were giving boogie board lessons there. It was fun to watch - especially the little kids. I'm sooo jealous - have a terrific time!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:04 PM

There are Chinatown Walking Tours. The cheapest is the $5 Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii, Tuesdays, 9:30 am at the Chamber office, 533-3181. The other is with the Chinese Culinary Arts Society of Hawaii, Thursdays, 9 am at the Sun Yat-Sen Mall, Chinese Cultural Plaza, $7.50 tour, $10 with dim sum lunch, email [email protected].

Both tours are focused and compact, showing you outlets for jewelry, martial arts supplies, flowers and plants, foodstuffs, clothing, gifts, Chinese seals, and various aspects of culture and religion in Hawaii's most mysterious neighborhood.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

thank you again to all of your for you advice....and special thanks to bashfulLV....you are amazing! I will be following a lot of your advice! Keep it coming! I promise to post a follow up on my return. If you think of any other ideas, please, don't hesitate to post them! Thanks again!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:03 PM

Andiamo:
I don't know how your back will be for snorkeling but next door to the Waikiki Parc there's guy renting underwater digital cameras for $20 bucks a day. We shot over 100 great pictures right out front of Waikiki Parc hotel. Hanuama Bay can get crowded. It's closed on Tuesdays. Early mornings are less crowded smooth for photography.