Oahu - Waikiki or away from it all?

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu - Waikiki or away from it all?

We will be spending 4 nights on Oahu in 2007, but can't decide if we want to stay in Waikiki or somewhere else. In Waikiki, I'm seriously thinking about Moana Surfrider. I love the hotel from the pictures I've seen! Places outside Waikiki that we've considered are Marriott Ko'Olina, or Turtle Bay. Any suggestions on which would be best for a mult-generation first time trip? We will have 2 teen boys, husband and myself(early 40's), and husband's parents (mid-seventies). The only thing we really know at this point is that we want a beachfront location. I'm curious to see what others prefer. Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Because of the make up of your traveling group, I would pick Waikiki. People could do things together, or go off in their own directions very easily. So much to see and do there.

When I have traveled with my family (all adults 40's to 70's) I was extremely grateful when they chose places that we were not forced to use a rental car or be joined at the hip in order to go anywhere.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM

You don't have to go to extremes! if you don't want to stay in the midst of Waikiki, you could stay on the edges, like the New Otani or the W at one end, or the Prince or Ala Moana hotel at the other. Or, just a little outside at the Kahala Hilton. Turtle Bay & Ko Olina may be a little too rural. But the Moana Surfrider is a nice in-Waikiki choice!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Suze makes a good point I think, pareticularly if you are there only 4 nights. You may as well be close to the sights. Turtle bay is too far away. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is another option as is the Outrigger, i.e. the one across from the Intl. Mkt. Place. Have fun in paradise.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Even Ala Moana or HHV would be too far out of Waikiki for what I am picturing... That the teenagers could check out the beach on their own, that the ladies could go shopping, that someone can take a nap while the rest go do something else. Plus I adore the old Moana hotel (never stayed there can't afford it but dinner was fabulous one evening).
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM

I also recommend Waikiki because there are so many things to do there, shopping, restaurants, etc.

You can check out these links/site to compare hotels & condos.

Outrigger Waikiki, Outrigger Reef on the Beach, Sheraton Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, Halekulani, Sheraton Waikiki and Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) are all nice. HHV is probably a little too far away from the "action".

Waikiki Shore is the only condo right on the beach. It is right next to Outrigger Reef and is co-managed by Outrigger & Castle. It doesn't have a pool, but those in the Outrigger rooms can use the pool & other facilities at the Reef.

There are also a lot of other good hotels and condos that are very near the beach. Hyatt, Pacific Beach, Resortquest Waikiki Beach and Waikiki Beach Marriott are right across Kalakaua Ave from the beach. There are no hotels on the beach side of Kalakaua in front of those hotels.

This link shows most of the hotels & condos in Waikiki:

http://www.waikiki.us/waikikimap.htm...260bb1d8c8b18a

Same map, but no grid to find the hotels. It does extend to include the New Otani Kaimana & Colony Surf. "W" is in the same area. You can also use this link to see other hotel locations including Kahala Hotel (formerly Kahala Mandarin Oriental). Click on other maps:

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_waikiki.html
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM

If you were staying a week or so, I would suggest spending a few nights in Waikiki and a few somewhere else like Turtle Bay. But with a short stay and two teens, Waikiki is the better choice. I've walked around the Moana, haven't stayed there, but it's really nice. Especially the courtyard. And I strongly recommend staying on the beach, not across the street, which is extremely busy.
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:51 AM

Agree with above folks about staying in Waikiki for first time on Oahu, for your multigenerational family. Sooo much on Oahu to see/do. IMHO...yes, stay at Sheraton Moana Surfrider! If you love the pix, wait'll you experience (for it IS an experience) the reality of it! Its public areas are fantastic: Banyan Verandah, the 2 story lobby with its polished wood, the old rooms upstairs, the wide staircase (to accomodate the wide gowns of the Hawaiian Royal ladies) the porch out back, the rockers out front, the tremendous sense of history. Many more wonderful little details you just don't see many other places eg elevator floor mats that change according to time of day wtih "Good Morning" etc. ( When you go to Pearl Harbor--a "must-do" for all of your family--in documentary film shown there, you'll see pix of soldiers dancing under that same banyan tree, the night before Dec 7, 1941. ) Plus, beach directly in front of MS and its neighbor, the Outrigger Waikiki, is usually considered to have the best swimming on Waikiki Beach. The Moana Surfirder also gives historical tours three times/week--try to take one.
Rooms vary. We stayed in Tower Wing--newest rooms. Rooms not big, but are lovely. If possible, try for ocean view, at least for you and husband's room. BTW, I stayed at MS with two teenagers, who loved it, and have always loved all of Waikiki. They simply cannot be bored there!!
Also for you, may I recommend tour of Iolani Palace, which ties in with some of the history yo'll experience (and see old photos of) at the Moana Surfrider.
Have a fantastic first trip!!
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:52 AM

We stayed at Moana Surfrider in August 2005 with my parents (in their 60's). I also fell in love with MS from the pictures and decided to stayed there for 2 nites (after spending a week on Big Island). On arrival, they presented you with leis. (Make sure you ask for them when you arrived if they run out). It's a nice touch. Moana Surfrider is part of the Starwood so perhaps you can sign up for their Starwood membership. As Starwood members, we will able to get a late checkout ( 1 hour extra since the hotel was pretty booked). Lovely hotel. Great location for sight seeing.

We loved hotel. Pricey yes but it was worth it.

Enjoy.