Oahu Hotel-Second Thoughts

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu Hotel-Second Thoughts

Our family of 4 (mom, dad, two boys ages 12 and 16)will be going to HI for the first time in March. We will be in Oahu for 4 nights then in Maui for 6 nights. On Oahu, I had booked the JW Marriott Ihlani. I had heard it was a bit off the beaten path, but as the trip draws near, I'm starting to think it may be too remote and that we'll spend too much time driving from place to place.
I'm thinking of switching to another resort but my brain is just boggled trying to figure out where. We are looking for a fairly upscale location...any suggestions for specific places or areas to look? I was thinking hotel, but would also look at condos. Thank you!!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM

What sites are you worried about driving to?
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM

With two boys that age, and only being on Oahu for four nights, I would switch to one of the hotels in Waikiki ... the Outrigger Waikiki with Duke's restaurant right on the sand, a fun hotel ... or the Hilton Hawaiian Village ... or any of the big name hotels right on Waikiki Beach. But it all depends on what you're planning to do while you're on Oahu ...
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM

We stayed at the Ilhilani this summer and spent a lot of time in the car! The resort ok but nothing special. I would book a hotel in Waikiki or Honolulu.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Hi LKNS - My family (w/ kids the exact same age) LOVED the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach when we were there a couple of summers ago. It's on a great part of Waikiki beach... right between the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider.... and directly across the street from the International Marketplace.

If you stay there try to get a package that includes their daily breakfast buffet @ Dukes.

We found the personnel very friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The kids loved being able to go back and forth from the pool area to the beach, which was right there.

Carole
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd consider one of the hotels beach-front Waikiki. There aren't that many of them. Just check a map, reviews, and in your price range.

Hilton Hawaiian Village, Outrigger Reef, Halekulani, Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian, Outrigger Waikiki, the old Moana. Down the other end the New Otani is nice and a bit removed (no pool though).
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:00 PM

If you're looking to be removed but not TOO far removed, on the west end of Waikiki is the Waikiki Prince. On the east side, you can go with the New Otani or the W....or go even farther east and stay at the Kahala Resort.

I haven't looked on VRBO, but if you do, look for a place in the Kahala/Diamond Head area for upscale and slightly removed from Waikiki (which means just 5 - 10 minutes).

The Ihilani is about a 35-40 minute drive into town. On days like today, if there's an accident, you're screwed! You could be in traffic for hours!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM

I totally agree--change it to a Waikiki hotel, any of the ones mentioned above. If you are looking for something more upscale, the Halekulani and Sheraton Moana are my favorites, but others may differ. The Halekulani (next to the Sheraton Waikiki) is right by the new Waikiki Beach Walk promenade, Nike Town, etc. You will want to book it soon and avoid the spring break season rush.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:55 AM

"On days like today, if there's an accident, you're screwed! You could be in traffic for hours!"

you mean like the idiot tossing that toddler from h1 overpass. so sad.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM

I vote for the Hilton Hawaiian Village...we have stayed there twice while on Oahu.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:26 PM

ITA with the HHV and any of the ones Suze listed.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM

LKNS,

You're on the right track. It's truly about location, location, location.

I love the Ihilani, but honestly, your teens will be in HEAVEN in the Waikiki area.

The allure of the Ihilani are it's beautiful lagoons and property which is excellent for couples, but the kids will be bored after 2 days. Also, at the Ihilani, you really are a slave to it's on-site dining (and it's expensive for a family of 4) since nothing is really nearby.

I second Elsiemoo's recommendations of the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki which is nearby but not in the heart of the hustle/bustle of Waikiki beach (which the boys will love). The Outrigger Waikiki (be aware that there are a handful of Outriggers in Waikiki...so be sure to select the one you desire) is the best location at the heart of the beach. Duke's has great dining and people watching. Go there for the sunset and music.

ACTIVITIES:
-The boys (and maybe Mom and Dad) will totally enjoy surfing lessons at Waikiki Beach.

-Waikiki area is a short drive to Hanauma Bay (Natural Fish Refuge) for outstanding snorkeling.

-Take the family on an early morning hike (allow 1 1/2 hours) up to the top of Diamond Head for the incredible views.

-drive to the North Shore to see the Sea Turtles near Ehukai Beach and have the best delicacy: Kahuku Shrimp from the Shrimp trucks on the roadside.

Have fun and Aloha!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! to all the wonderful suggestions. I am off right now to see what I can book. I really appreciate the input and I'll post back with what I end up with.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

UPDATE: I booked a room at the Outrigger Waikiki (a package with breakfast at Duke's as was suggested). I feel better...I think the boys will have a better time there.
Now, if anyone wants to toss in any off site restaurant recommendations, I'm all ears!

One other thing: how far is it from Waikiki to the Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona areas? We are renting a car, so we'll be driving over...

Again, thanks for all your help!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM

Oh, you'll have a GREAT time at the Outrigger. I'm green with envy!!

Let us know about your trip when you return home!

Carole
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:26 AM

Awesome!

Driving time-Waikiki to Pearl Harbor: allow 30 minutes.

Have fun.