Search

Oahu/Waikiki Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu/Waikiki Hotel

I am going to Oahu in Feb
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good hotel on the island that isn't super expensive?
Is there any part of the island to avoid?
Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM

We have stayed twice (2001 & 2005) at the Waikiki Beachcomber in Waikiki Beach. It's across the street from the beach (I think it's an Ohana hotel now) and is right beside the International Marketplace. It was reasonable when we stayed in October, 2005, about $125 a night. Considering it's on the main street in Waikiki and so close to the beach, that wasn't bad. Don't know exactly when you're going, but checked on rates for the end of February on their web site - a standard room is $159 and a partial ocean view is $169. Might be able to get a better rate on something like Travelocity, etc. Went to the Aloha Stadium for the swap meet they have (Wed., Sat, Sun) and it was pretty neat. Lots of souvenirs, and you can find most of the same things there that you'll find at the Int'l Marketplace, for less-and you get to bargain with some. Climb Diamond Head if possible, see Pearl Harbor, the Bowfin, the Missouri, Iolani Palace, Dole Plantation, north shore if the waves are huge, Honolulu Zoo, Waikiki Aquarium, Punchbowl, just to name a few things. Can't think of any part of the island we wouldn't drive to. We did get a rental car both times and were glad. The "Bus" is available, but we like going where and when we want to and the Beachcomber does have parking. You have to pay, but that's part of it. Good luck and enjoy, it's one of our favorite places.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:00 PM

The only part that I would avoid is the leeward side around Makaha. It has some decent lodging but is too far away from much of the "action".

Most of the Ohana hotels are decent and inexpensive including the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber.

ResortQuest Waikiki Sunset and ResortQuest Waikiki Banyon are two fairly inexpensive condos.

Lots to do on Oahu and many websites:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831

Lots of Hawaii on a budget ideas:

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...aii/index.html

Other Oahu info & lots of links:

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...081901179.html
Click on Snap Guide for a free download.

For a free circle island map (pdf). Also a free Oahu movie location guide (pdf):

http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/

Lots of Oahu driving & walking tours:

http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/tours/

Buy an 'Oahu Revealed' book. About $15 or you might pick one up on eBay for less.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the Hawaiiana Hotel in Waikiki. It's not fancy but homey. All rooms have kitchens, nice gardens and pools, BBQs available. Rooms start around $100/night. 2 blocks from the beach.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM

We got a spacious, reasonably priced ocean view (not beachfront) room with a balcony at the Ocean Resort Hotel - www.oceanresort.com. It had a kitchenette that helped cut some of our dining expenses. I think they gave use some breakfast coupons for the hotel restaurant too.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM

bookmarking
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Check biddingfortravel. I always get my best hotel price for Oahu on Priceline.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:20 PM

We stayed at the OHANA Waikiki West in June for around $80 a night. Several blocks from Waikkii Beach. Lots of shopping and restaurants. Basic rooms with bath - nothing fancy but clean and convenient.

The only negative was the super-tight parking in the hotel garage - unbelievable.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:24 PM

We liked the Waikiki Parc. The location is great, included breakfast, and the room was very reasonable.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:16 PM

We stayed at the Ohana Islander Waikiki in January. It wasn't super fancy, but I thought the location was great.