WA State Ferries: No Cuts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like it will soon be illegal to cut in line for the WA State Ferries (hooray):
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/us/11nice.html

We have relatives in Mulkiteo who take the ferry frequently. They would often see people trying to cut in line, sometimes out of ignorance but often out of pure selfishness.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

And yes, I know it's spelled Mukilteo
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 03:10 AM

Personally, I get just as annoyed with the people who let them in as I do about the "selfish" ones.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:03 AM

That is good news. We never experienced that, but I would hate for others to. My husband commuted via the ferry system for over 3 years and during the commute time it was never an issue for him. But on the weekends when we would go over, the lines can be hours long and you sure don't want people cutting in line then.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Part of problem is specific to the Mukilteo ferry...you're not supposed to stop or idle in front of residents' driveways, and the ferry lines do go past several homes when they're most crowded. Unfortunately, there are an increasing number of drivers who use those spaces to cut in. Extremely rude at any time but esp. when it's a busy period. It can make the driver who was legitimately there ahead of time wait for another ferry while Mr. Selfish gets on first.

I don't like it when people let them in either. Reinforces the bad habit of the line jumpers plus it makes others start to think they should jump too since there's no benefit to following the rules.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Oh we know that Mukilteo line well and know exactly what you mean by the driveways. Same with the Edmonds line. Many times though, there are police that are posted at some of the hot spots and make sure drivers don't do this. Of course they can't be at every spot, but it is too bad they are needed in the first place. You would hope people would have learned when they were young that cutting in line is not acceptable.