Reload this Page >

BC Ferries - Reservation Charges

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:27 PM
dona

Please help!! We're planning a trip this August that involves 5 separate Ferry Crossings on the BC ferry system. We had planned to make reservations in advance, but there is a $15CDN booking fee per ferry trip. That's $75 CDN booking fee for the 5 trips in addition to the fares for the ferry trips. Is that additional expense worth it to make all of our reservations in advance? Our trip is as follows:
Leaving on a Tuesday from (1)Horsehoe Bay to Langdale and going up the Sunshine Coast which includes on Wednesday(2)Earls Cove-Saltrey Bay ferry crossing and also on same day (Wednesday) ferry at (3)Powell River to Comox. We will take a ferry on a Friday from (4)Crofton to Vesuvius Bay on Salt Spring Island. Finally we will take the ferry on a Monday from (5)Fulton to Swartz Bay.
Completing the trip will be to Port Angelese on the ferry which is not a part of the BC Ferry System.
Would really appreciate advice as to which of these trips absolutely require resrvations. Thanks so much!

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've taken every one of the BC ferry trips you mention, and the only time we reserve is when there is a time issue. In other words, if you don't mind waiting to get the next available ferry, don't bother spending the money to reserve. We spend our summers in Victoria and often want to go to Vancouver for the day, so it's useful to be able to plan which ferry we'll leave on, and it's important to be sure that we can get on the last ferry out at night. I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are being casual about departure times. The ferry docks are pleasant areas to browse the local crafts that are for sale there, and just to look at the scenery. I think you might want to reserve on the Washington State ferry, though. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:09 AM
ltt

had to chuckle at the above post cause i found the ferry terminals to be very, very dull. due to late, broken down ferries, we ended up sitting at one (langdale i think) for about 2 1/2 hours and there was almost no shade and it was 27 degrees. it was miserable. mind you this was after a bad experience earlier that day with another ferry so we weren't in the best spirits.
in general, i think the ferry system is very good. i would make reservations if you wanted to travel on a friday or sunday. for me personally, $15 is worth paying to know that i won't be possibly wasting 1-3 hours of my vacation waiting for the next ferry. as stated, it depends on your comfort level with gambling.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:08 AM

&quot;<i>Tuesday from (1)Horsehoe (sic) Bay to Langdale </i>&quot;
No need for any ressies-it'll be 60% full at best.

&quot;<i>Earls Cove-Saltrey Bay ferry </i>&quot;
No ressies needed

&quot;<i>(3)Powell River to Comox</i>&quot;
On a Wedneday no need for ressies.

&quot;<i>4)Crofton to Vesuvius Bay </i>&quot;
Tiny little Ferry-be on time and you'll be fine very little traffic.

&quot;<i>(5)Fulton to Swartz Bay.</i>&quot;
Again if you're 1/2 hour early you'll get on the boat.

The routes you're travelling have heavier traffic in summer but nothing like the regular Mainland-VI or GI routes.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:08 AM

I can see why you chuckled! Certainly stuff like that happens, but not very often. We've been doing this for nearly 20 years and rarely had any significant delays. Minor ones, yes - but not 2 1/2 hours!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:38 AM
dona

Thanks to everyone for their help! Really appreciate the first hand experiences.