Lewes-Cape May ferry

Search

Lewes-Cape May ferry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lewes-Cape May ferry

I'm planning to use the ferry from Lewes, Del., either Tuesday a.m. or Wednesday a.m. this coming week. Can anyone familiar with this crossing offer reasonable assurance that reservations won't be necessary? I need some flexibility and would prefer not to pay (and forfeit) the reservation fee if possible. Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM

highly doubt you will need a reservation
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM
GBC

We use the ferry from time to time.

Now that it is off-season, I think you'll find that reservations are needed only if you absolutely must be on a certain ferry. If you arrive forty minutes or so before the announced departure I think that you will be fine.
Remember; picture ID will be needed and a security check will probably be made. More detail is listed on the website.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM

We went in the summer with no reservations and had not problem. Not even half full with vehicles.

If you reserve, however, they are very flexible. You can phone and change the time if you are running late, or take an earlier ferry.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I take the ferry several times a year. It used to be that we would make a reservation only if we absolutely had to make that particular ferry. Even on holiday weekends, if we missed one ferry we were sure to get on the next. That has all changed this year. When I tried to make an online reservation for the 11:15 am ferry on Sat of labor day weekend, only the 9:15 was available and then nothing until 4 pm. Our midday ferry last Thurs was filled and some did not make it on.

If I were you I would base my decision on whether I was willing to wait for the next ferry if I don't get on the first. The waits at this time of year are not too long and its a lovely place to wait.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Very helpful replies; thanks to all.