Reload this Page >

Ferry from Horsehoe to Namino

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM
dona

We'll be taking the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay on a Wednesday am in the begining of August. The BC ferries' schedule shows hourly crossings except at 9:30 am. Do we need to make reservations? thanks for your help!

Old May 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume you're travelling by vehicle. (If you're on foot, you definitely don't need a reservation).

My inclination is always to make a booking. It costs only $15 and it's a small price for peace of mind. (My husband, on the other hand, likes to live on the edge - in a small way - and makes reservations only if taking the ferry on week-ends.)
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:42 PM

You can check the Ferry congestion at the BC Ferry Website, http://bcferries.bc.ca/

I find that if you get to the ferry about an hour early and if you're taking a morning departure, there's a good chance you'll get on.

But my wife hates the thought of missing the ferry so we usually fork out the $15 for a reservation.

You need to remember that there is a public holiday in BC the first Monday in August, and the ferries are usually jammed pack.

On the otherhand if you miss the ferry they usually go about every hour that time of year.

Plus Horseshoe Bay is a nice place to spend some time. Check this activity page on Horseshoe Bay, http://www.findfamilyfun.com/horseshoe.htm
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:14 AM
dona

Thanks so much for the responses -- I was not aware that there was a public holiday in BC the first Monday in August -- good to know. I've also learned that men are more risky then women when it comes to making ferry reservations!

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Hi dona,
We live on Vancouver Island and I would definitely recommend making a reservation in August. The ferry line-ups can be horrendous and even though you are travelling mid-week, this is a week leading up to the long weekend as David_ll points out. The traffic tends to build up when ferries skip an hour (9:30am?) as well. You can still go a bit early to explore the shops in Horseshoe Bay but that won't take long. Have fun!