Any experience with Lane Lines ferry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like I have a choice between lane lines or GA for an overnight ferry ( we have a vehicle) from Satorini to Pareius.

Can anyone tell me more about this ferry and what it is like. I would rather take the blue ferry but I want to get in early so that we can head off to Metora ( or Dephi).

Thanks again!!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Lane Lines is the shipping company - I believe the ferry you are referring to is Vitsentzos Kornaros. I don't know the ferry from personal experience, but looked it up in Greek Island Hopping 2007. I quote in part: "Armed with a comparatively clapped-out vessel - the Vitsentzos Koranoros (the ex-cross-channel Pride of Winchester)...".

GA seems to have a number of ferries, including Romilda, doing that route on different days. Which one do you mean?

I know you don't like catamarans, but consider Highspeed 5, which is a huge car-carrying ferry - almost as big as the Blue Star. Nothing like the flying cats which you have been avoiding.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Heimdall!

( He he, glad you do not hold my dislike against the FlyingCats against me )

Hmmm doesn't sound too good for the land lines ferry, huh? I wonder if it could be worse than GA or similar??

We really do not like the GA ferries, but have ended up taking them quite a bit as they often were the only decent choice for us. All that we have taken are old and seem to be on last leg.

Can you tell me more about the Highspeed 5? I have been on large fast ferries ( car carrying) and have not minded them. I do like something that I can get out in the fresh air in and move if I want to.

( I felt like a trapped sardine in that bobbing flying cat worse than a crowded plane in coach ).

I am certainly not opposed to fast ferries, but I also like the idea of getting in early enough that I can drive from Perius to Meteora. ( Thus the land line and GA ideas ...altho its true that sleeping even in a cabin is no picnic on a ferry).

I hate the closest campsite in Athens so I do not want to arrive late in the day or night. I need at least enuf time to get to Delphi well before dark.

I do not have an exact date to get out but am real ready to do it SOON as our wonderfully quiet and peaceful spot is now an over-crowded madhouse.

I am hoping the few sites I must see on the mainland will be quieter and cooler. Ya think?

Sadly I am going to Croatia after Greece which may be just as crazy.

I hear it will be cooler in Meteora so thats why I think I will start there and work down to Penelpolese ( sorry for the spelling).Napfia ( sp? ) looks like a good base ( plaka area beaches have lots of campsites).

The heat and crowds are beginning to get to me here so we will leave as soon as we can work things out. We left our bathing suits in Mykonos ( ah the joys of early check out and late ferry) so had to go waste money on three more to jump in the pool here.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM

WTnow, Highspeed 5 is the largest and newest of Hellenic Seaways' car-carrying catamarans. I don't remember if it were Highspeed 4 or 5 that I have been on before, but they are very large, allowing you to move around the deck. There is a small outside deck at the stern where you can step out for a few minutes, but when the ship is moving at full speed it gets rather windy there. You can find out more about Highspeed 5 at http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=264. It's not as large as the Blue Star ferries, but when you see it pull in at the dock it looks huge.

As far as the Lane Line ferry is concerned, it's obviously seaworthy, or it wouldn't still be sailing. Old ferries seem to eventually end up in Greece when they are no longer good enough to sail the Baltic or the cross-channel route between England and France.

In contrast, the Blue Stars and the Hellenic Seaways highspeeds are modern new ships that were built specifically for Greek waters. When I am forced to go by ferry, those would be my choices.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:29 AM

I found the Lane Lines website,and you can read about their ships at http://www.ferries.gr/lane/.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Heimdall!

We are leaning now on the blue ferry as my hubby can not endure another night on a GA or similar old ferry.

The problem with that is we get in at night and don't want to drive then.

They say we can just park there for the night at the dock so I hope they are right.

Does anyone know? It is really hard to drive at night in a RV in strange country so I hope so.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Aaaack, as my husband went to buy tickets it seems we can not over night at the port when we arrive, which seems to force us back to the over night ferries.

We really have to arrive early in the morning for the drive and that seems the only way to do it.

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:58 AM

If the afternoon arrival of Highspeed 5 is too late for you, then the overnight ferry seems the best solution. Bon Voyage!