W Times Square

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Sue

W Times Square

Going to NYC end of this month for a week. I usually stay at the Marriott Marquis, but I've finally had it with the elevators! This year I'm staying at W Times Square, any opinions?

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:09 PM
chauncey

Oh good god, Sue. I don't mean to be negative, but you just mentioned my two LEAST FAVORITE NYC HOTELS in the same breath. If you were to mention the Times Square Hilton as well, I would just about keeled over.

How much are they asking for over there at the W? Have you tried calling the Sofitel on 44th? FANTASTIC HOTEL. Yes, the rates look expensive on the web sites, but call directly, and get a "AAA" discount or a "corporate" discount.

My friends stayed at the W recently and said it was loud, dirty and the rooms were so small that the doors wouldn't open all the way; the bed was obstructing!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:31 PM
chauncey

I just checked sofitel's web site and they have a rate of 189 a night on weekdays and then 240 or so on weekends.

I then looked at the W's web site: it was $244 a night.

Do yourself a favor and look into the Sofitel. I just stayed there and it was EXCELLENT, NEW, CLEAN, GREAT FOOD.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:12 PM
Sue

Thanks Chauncey, but I did get a good rate ($185) @ W. I actually like the Marriott,(mostly because of the points!)

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:22 PM
David

I've stayed at the W Times Square and really enjoyed it. Great location. Great restaurant. The rooms are smallish but very well appointed and the staff was great. Very cool hotel. Enjoy!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:42 PM
sue

Thanks David! I'm particularly interested in the bathrooms, I understand there is NO counter space? when you're out of town for a week, you have a lot of "stuff", if you know what I mean.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:52 PM
David

The counter space is small, but if I recall correctly there is a shelf under the sink as well. I could be wrong though! The hotel obviously had design problems with the bathrooms. Two problems in particular were that some rooms had funny showers that didn't really have a ledge at the bottom - so water just flowed out onto the floor. There was also a problem with poor lighting. My bathroom had a conventional tub and shower, so I didn't experience the problem myself, but there was a cute note in the room saying that they recognized those two problems and were working to correct them. That was at the beginning of April, so I imagine that they've been dealt with. There is a lot more information on the W on flyertalk.com. Go to the "Flyertalk Miles" section and then choose the Starwood Hotels board. You can then search for W Times Square and there are a number of threads dealing with the hotel. Some people love it, others hate it. I loved it.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Chris

My wife and I stayed at the W in Times Square and we will never stay there again!!

Everything about the bathrooms is true - there's nowhere to put your stuff. Even the room itself doesn't have a lot of space. So if you're traveling as a couple, be prepared for a cluttered room. And the housekeeping was mediocre at best. Lots of skimpy things like not changing the linens unless we ask...etc.

Our friends suggested the W because it was "hip" and "cool". But having stayed at the Sofitel and other hotels in NYC, we think the Sofitel was better than all the others for both practical reasons and for the "cool factor."

The Sofitel room was also HUGE compared to the W hotel. And the Sofitel bathroom was really big - separate bath and shower. All marble. Fresh flowers on the vanity. Lots of really nice touches.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:36 AM
sue

Chris, thanks for the info. I've been somewhat spoiled by the size of the Marriott rooms, I guess! So much for "hip and new"

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:40 PM
carol

I just stayed there, and for the same price I would suggest the Doubletree @ Times Square, esp. for a week. it is a suite, and if you call the hotel directly, you get a better rate. We loved the W, howver. The bed was the BEST bed i had ever slept in, but the bathroom is very small. ( Aveda products, tho)It is not worth the 300$ plus rate, tho. The staff was excellent, and it was not loud, dirty, or anything negative except the cost, so have a great trip!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 02:56 PM
farshy

Hey Sue - Just got back on business from NYC. Stayed at the W. I agree with the other posts - I won't stay there again. People were rude. The housekeeping was terrible. The room was tiny - and I've seen some small hotel rooms in NYC, but this takes the cake as the tiniest!

Not worth the money.

It's funny that some others have mentioned the Sofitel. I had lunch with a client there and I was really impressed with the lobby. I didn't get a chance to see the room, though.

Cheers,

-farshy.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 02:58 PM
farshy

Oh - I forogt to say that the bathroom had water damage on the walls and the floor. I also kept bumping my elbow on the corner of the shower. And yes - no counter space. I had to store my stuff on top of the toilet tank. Lovely.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:31 AM
sue

Thank you all for your input! For those of you that liked the place, is there a particular room # I should ask for?
Thanks!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:37 AM
xxx

Sue - I would request a corner room with a view (I was on an upper floor corner looking down on Times Square). The room was small, but well appointed (my house is modern like a W, so I like the style). My room had the shower problem, but I just threw extra towels on the floor to catch the water and then called housekeeping on my way out of the room.

For what it's worth, the W Union Square is a nicer hotel, but probably not the area you're looking to locate. If you're in NYC on biz for a week, it may be a bit of a scene for you. I love the W's but lots of people don't like the crowded lobby bars, etc.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:14 AM
IhatetheW

Stayed at the W Times Square earlier this year and I had just about the worst experience of any hotel I've ever stayed at.

Get this. I had a confirmed reservation for 4 night stay. When I arrived, they told me my room was taken. Gee, thanks. Gave me another room and told me to recheck-in in the morning. When I came down next morning to recheck-in, they told me to penny up $50 more per night because they 'presumably' gave me a room in a higher floor than my original reservation. When I refused, they told me that they have to move me to another room (manager didn't do I thing when I brought this up with them). So I was taken down to a lower floor. I had to miss part of my business meeting to do this.

After returning home, I mailed Sheraton and W Times Square a complaint letter regarding their poor customer service (downright "Bait-N-Switch" technique. Didn't hear a thing from them for 2 months. So I emailed their customer service and I got 1/2 night stay refunded 4 weeks later. Still no apology to date. What a crappy hotel.

Worst place I've ever stayed. W Times Square sucks!!! The Sheraton Sucks!!!

Just my personal opinion.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:25 AM
JustChecking

Ihate: I didn't think W hotels were considered a part of the Sheraton brand. I thought it was a sister brand under the Starwood corporate umbrella.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:11 AM
gc

The thing I loved about my single stay at W in Times Square was that I didn't have to take my head off the pillow to turn the lights on and off, adjust the TV, and even lock and open the door. All were in arms reach! Great ergonomics! They should go work for Subaru!

But seriously folks, my votes go for the Grand HYatt and/or the Marriott East side.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Sue

You guys are scaring me! I'm going to be there 6 nights, I hope their "rewards" program is worth it! Don't tell me that sucks too?
So I should go in asking for a higher floor, corner room that doesn't have a bathroom problem, so I don't electrocute myself? and make sure I take my confirmation letter so they don't switch the price on me? On the other hand, they do have those great beds and Aveda products! Anyone know if they have coffee in the rooms?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:46 AM
ttt

topping for you!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:32 AM
henly

I love the W Times Square. It is one of my fave NYC hotels. I especially love the Blue Fin restaurant located within.