Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Doubletree Guest Suites hotel in Times Square: do the rooms really have refrigerators?

Doubletree Guest Suites hotel in Times Square: do the rooms really have refrigerators?

Jun 18th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

I'm now leaning toward having our family stay at the Doubletree in Times Square. The posts here often mention the convenience of having a fridge in the room. And I agree, a fridge would be great for family travel. But when I spoke to Doubletree on the phone, the rep said the rooms had a minibar and a microwave, but NOT a fridge. (I interpret minibar to mean a stocked fridge where you are charged $5 every time you touch something!) Can those who have actually stayed at this hotel please enlighten me? We'd be in the suite with two double beds and a separate sitting area, if that makes a difference.
Jun 18th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Tess

The rooms had fridges and microwaveswhen we were in August of 2001 so unless they changed things you should be fine. Although on second thought, the rooms didn't have minibars so maybe they have changed...that would be a bummer.

Jun 18th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Tess, you may have figured out the situation! I hope not, though, as it would be a bummer to have fridges replaced with stocked minibars. Didn't they used to have free breakfast too? If anyone has stayed at the Doubletree very recently, please let me know what's up with the fridges! Thanks Tess for your response.
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:09 AM

Check out the biddingfortravel.com web site and go to the NY Hotels info site. The hotel web site indicates "refrigerator available." A review from a traveler from earlier this year indicates she asked for a refrigerator and one was brought right up.
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Tess

They didn't have free breakfast when we stayed there but it really was a great hotel for our family. The kids LOVED staying on Times Square (we asked for a room NOT facing Times Square and on a high floor--it was perfectly quiet) and it was especially nice having two rooms and two tv's. Our room had one huge bathroom with doors opening into both rooms. There's a visitors' center a couple of doors down from the Doubletree that has free Internet access--nice for checking emails.

Jun 19th, 2003, 03:01 PM

Miranda,

We recently stayed at the Doubletree in Times Square and we had both a minibar and refrigerator in our suite. It also had a microwave. There is a small grocery store on 47th so you can stock up on food for the fridge. I highly recommend this hotel since you get a nice sized suite with two rooms and large bathroom. Location is close to everything.
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:51 PM

If you only get a minibar, you can usually ask the hotel staff to remove all of the contents. It's a valid request especially since you have kids who could grab stuff without you noticing (until you check out, of course). Then you get your fridge.
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:55 PM

We love this hotel. We could look out our window (30th floor, so quiet) and see the TKTS booth, watch the line and decide when to get tickets. There's a beautiful and very good Turkish restaurant around the corner, The Dervish, I think. The pre-theater dinner was $20 per person. We also like Zen Palate, a lovely, but inexpensive vegetarian Oriental restaurant in the theater district.