Search

W Hotels - overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W Hotels - overrated?

Hi,

I've been to a couple of W hotels now. One in Union Square/NYC. Another in Time Square. And a couple of the west coast ones.

Is it just me, or are these hotels overrated? The modern furniture is nice and all, but my god those rooms are noisey! You can hear everything: the maid cart, the elevator doors, and even your neighbors panting next door.

Also, some of the rooms are so dang tiny! And the bathroom fixtures and finishes: a little rough around the edges. Lots of caulk peeling and mildew.

Anyone else care to share their experiences?

-Darvy
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:27 PM

I've only stayed in one, and stayed in two of the Ian Schrager places. My theory is slowing becoming that when they say "boutique" hotel -- run!!!
They seem to all have matchbox sized rooms but try to compensate by being very "trendy" in decor. The pedestal sink may be a design masterpiece but I'd rather have a long counter where I can unload the contents of my travel kit and not have to move all the cute little soaps and "essentials" that they shower you with.
The little glass shelf next to the bed make be the latest design trend, but I'd rather have a substantial table where if I keep a glass of water next to my bed, I won't be afraid of breaking the glass. And while that special little designer chair in the corner may cost a fortune, I'd rather have a nice overstuffed one that is comfortable to relax in.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Great points regarding the impracticality of interior design!

I'm with Patrick, boutique shmootique. W Hotels no more.

-Darvy
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:52 PM

On a similar note, we stayed at the boutique Muse hotel. Very small room, absoultely no place to put anything out in the bathroom, and a TV that could only be watched from bed, not from the chair. The closet was tiny and already filled with ironing board -- couldn't even hang up my folding carryon. There were Roman shades to lower, but if you did, they totally blocked off the heat or air which were behind them. And my favorite thing of all -- a large very abstract collage that when I looked close and saw the signature I realized was permanently mounted to the wall upside down!!

I am a semi-retired interior designer. The person who had this job should be shot!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:27 AM
d

I stayed at the W Times Square and was pleased w/my room. Room and bathroom-- while a little small--were great. I loved the doorless shower. Plus when you're in NYC--who wants to spend a lot of time in their room?!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:54 AM

Just as you can put a gold dress on a pig and it's still a pig.

You can put a gold dress on a Sheraton, but it's still a Sheraton.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Darvy, It's not just you, I think they're overrated as well.

For a really great boutique hotel that's very fairly priced and lots more fun check out the Monaco hotels. Far superior to W's and usually half the price.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 11:33 AM
emd

I travel alot and like Westin properties (and the Starwood program), but the W hotels are awful. It starts w/the attitude at the desk and just goes from there. They try too hard to be hip and not hard at all to give you any level of service. I don't care about zen rock gardens on the desk in the room, that isn't going to make my stay- give me a live concerned person when I have a service need. I'd stay anywhere instead of a W.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 12:48 PM

we used a W suite for a business meeting. The sliding frosted glass door to the bathroom was very embarassing (semi transaparent and not sound proofed) for anyone who used it. But the Aveda large sized samples were nice!
I'm sick of W hotels and the Paramount and the Royalton and their dramatic and dark lobbys and hallways.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Dan

I'll add to the chorus. I don't like the entire W concept of adding new soft goods to mediocre hotels in exchange for doubling the room rate.

The Monaco group is far superior. Nice hotels and better-trained staff.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:29 PM
gc

But wait!
Where else are the rooms so cozy that you can lock your door and turn out the lights without getting out of bed?? 8^)
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:54 PM

I can't say how happy I am to see this thread. From the very first words I read about the W hotels...I thought: huh? This does not sound welcoming or comfortable to me.

Just one more example of style over substance.. shot down.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 04:13 AM

I'm an interior designer and I will chime in that these hotels seem to be a left over from the Roaring Nineties where style was all. I personally found them pretentious and a bore when I first stayed and the attitude made me chuckle. I prefer the Pierre thank you, to the nose full of attitude at these silly hotels. Can you say dot.com?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

You said it, Lilmsfoodie.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:36 PM
GoTravel

Can't stand them. If I want to stay in a barren closet, I'll sleep in my pantry.