Search

Volcano House opinions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volcano House opinions

Hello all,
I am considering Volcano House for 2 nights in October and have a few questions:
do we need to drive to see lava at night or the trail starts in the close proximity to the Volcano house.
We also would like to hike in the early morning in the Volcano park. Again, do we need to drive or there are some trails around the Volcano House.
My second option is Volcano Inn on the 2nd street, which, I understand, is very close to the VNP as well.
I would appreciate your opinions/advice

MariaX.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM

to see the "RED" lava, you would have to drive down to the bottom of the hill to see it. for early morning hikes, you can start right from Volcano House, hike across Halemaumau and any other trails around, no car needed.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Volcano House is a little worn and old. The restaurant is PACKED at lunch with many tour buses, too. But it does have the best view at VNP! We had a nice dinner there and the place was almost deserted.

There are numerous B&Bs and cottage rentals in the Volcano Village area that would be just a short drive away. (We stayed at the Country Goose.)
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM
SAB

Volcano House has seemed worn and old for years--I don't know if there has ever been a major remodel. Other than the restaurant that overlooks the Caldera, it has nothing to really recommend it and you can view the Caldera without going to the restaurant. Lots and I do mean lots of tour buses stop there.

An early morning drive around the Caldera can be really great, because it is less crowded--only the people who stayed up in the area are out and about. There are lots of trails around the Caldera. As previous poster stated you will have to drive to see actual lava flow, assuming that there is flow at the time you are there.

My favorite place to stay in past has been Kilauea Lodge in Volcano Village.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM

two thumbs up for Kilauea Lodge. Even if you don't stay there, go for dinner (reservations usually needed)
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
P_M

Hello all. We've had a slight change of plans to our HI vacation and we will have more time on the BI. so we plan to spend at least one night at the Volcano. I am very much hoping to see a lava flow at night. I keep hearing that the hike is very difficult, but I think we can handle it. Can anyone tell me how long the hike is to the lava flows? Also, is it safe to go with just DH and me, or should we go with some type of organized group?

Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:10 PM

I don't think the hike is very difficult. Walking on the lava is a bit difficult because of the constant variation in texture. The distance depends on where the lava actually is the day/night you are there. Be sure to wear good soled shoes and you will be fine. We just did one overnight in the volcano area.

The Thai restaurant in Volcano is VERY good. A bit non-descript in building and atmosphere but the food is GREAT!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 03:56 AM
P_M

Thanks, starrsy. Did you go with a group or on your own?