Best accomodations for volcano and lava

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for accomodations to visit the volcano park and hopefully see some lava flows.

Our first choice is Kilauea Lodge.

However, I have read that from there, it is still a 30-40 minute drive to see the lava.

I have a few questions:

1) Are there B&Bs closer to/inside the park at the same quality as the Kilauea Lodge?

2) A recent post stated Hilo is "...better location for the viewing park". Is this a good idea?

Thanks for any input.

Darryl.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:32 AM

Kilauea Lodge is 5 minutes outside VNP. There are also lots of small cottages and B&B's in the same area. Do a Google search on accommodations at VNP and you will see several dozen places.
The only closer accommodation to the lava is Volcano Inn and it's a whole 5 min. closer. Check past threads for comments on VI. After reading them, I decided I wouldn't stay there on a bet!

Whether you stay inside the park or just outside, it's roughly the same drive. You have descend a 19 mile windy road down to the ocean. There is a ranger station there where you can get info on where the lava is flowing. Be prepared to do some serious hiking over rough terrain. Take lots of water and if it's night, flashlight with extra batteries.
Hilo is MUCH farther away and as far as I'm concerned, not at all convenient for volcano viewing.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Volcano Village area (where Kilauea Lodge is located) has the closest outside-the-park lodging for lava viewing. There are no accommodations at the end of Chain of Craters Road.

The Volcano House is located inside the VNP but it is not really any closer to lava viewing than Kilauea Lodge. Volcano House is rustic and historic, we have stayed there and enjoyed it but it is not luxurious.

As the above poster said, Hilo is not a better base for exploring the park.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 07:00 PM

OOps...Volcano House, (not Volcano Inn) is the place inside the park to which I was referring. Do read some of the other comments on this board before choosing it.
We did not try it, but Kilauea Lodge also has a restaurant that has received many favorable remarks, both on this board and in various guidebooks.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 03:35 AM
koa

If you go at night, watch out for centipedes. I heard a few people have been getting bit.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 10:52 AM

Several items to consider:

How long do you plan to be on the "Hilo" side and be at the volcano?

Do you plan to spend a day visiting the crater, Thurston lava tube and other past lava flows on the Chain of Craters road + go see the "flowing lava"

Are you planning an evening walk to the "lava flow"

Or perhaps plan to spend a couple days in the area.

From the upper part of the park it is approx 23 miles to the end of the Chain of Craters road. Then it can be an hour to 2 hrs walk(hike over lava) to the actual flow....depending where it is flowing at that time....it moves.

If you are doing a 1 day with overnight, then I would stay around the area.

If you are staying 2 days, then I would consider Hilo. It is only about a 40 min drive. You can see the crater, lava tube etc on the first day. One the second day plan an evening walk to the "lava flow". Use the second day to visit around Hilo....Even a evening walk ...if you start about 4pm. drive to the park, chain of craters road, hike and return...it will be 10pm by the time you get back.

Any way you do it will be fun...
Hawaii....it's all good...

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:05 PM

I would stay at Volcano House again. Rustic, lodge feel, not luxurious. Priceless view, quiet, and a terrific breakfast buffet.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:21 PM

Kilauea Lodge is terrific. Wife and I stayed three nights there on our honeymoon in the cottage on the premises. We couldn't say enough about the breakfasts, the fabulous Kona coffee, and the dinners were excellent also (ate there two of the three nights). The other dinner was at Surt's, which I'm not sure is still open in Volcano Village, but if it is, it was eclectic excellence!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:49 PM
iceeu2

Vivi,,,which place would you recommend staying in Volcano Village? That is where you would stay for one night to see the lava flow, right?
I have read there are lots of B&B's..any favorites??
When I was reading about the different places Volcano House appealed to me..is it a good place?

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:02 PM

Has anyone stayed at the Pi'i Mauna House, one of the newer off-property cottages offered by Kilauea Lodge? I'm curious as to how its location (on the Volcano golf course) and amenities compare to the other Kilauea Lodge rooms/cottages.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:16 PM

Icee-

We have only stayed at Volcano House. It is really old, let's say it has "character" LOL. Some of the rooms in the main buidling are perched on the rim of the smoking caldera! The "garden rooms" are in a separate buidling, are much cheaper, and they are cozy (ie miniscule.) I like Volcano House but not for a long vacation, one night is plenty.

If you don't stay at Volcano house, you can have a meal in their funky dining room that overlooks the crater. Breakfast buffet is OK, lunch can be crowded due to tour bus groups, dinner is pricey.