Big Island - Volcano Lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Looking to stay one night around the volcano.

Would love to get:
1. Recommendations.
2. Insights.
3. Experiences.
4. Descriptions.
5. Booking/rate information.

My wife and I are in our early 30's and will be there this March. I'd love a place with incredible scenery, incredible memories, a lounge or nice place to pop a bottle of wine.

Thank you.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:32 AM

I just returned from the Big Island. Unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific place to stay but I can recommend a place not to stay. We stayed one night at the Volcano House -- it was one of the worst places I have ever stayed at (this is not just my opinion but seemed to be the collective opinion of people we met there). We were supposedly in one of the most expensive rooms (approx. $200) and it was dirty, half of the lights did not work, there was a tile missing from the bathroom floor and the bed was uncomfortable. The food and service at the restaurant were not very good and the restaurant closes between 8 & 9 P.M. We arrived in the early evening and had to rush to eat due to the limited time the restaurant is open and there isn't even a vending machine to get a drink or snack. Once we rushed through dinner we went to see the lava flowing into the sea -- this was a great experience -- and something you should definitely plan on doing -- bring flashlights and wear sturdy shoes, long pants and long sleeves. When we returned to the "hotel" we wanted a drink which is when we found out there were no vending machines and of course the restaurant was closed. The person at the front desk was "kind enough" to give us a paper cup filled with water and two small ice cubes -- what hospitality for $200/night! The next day we did the drive through the park and stopped at the recommended places -- it was a great experience and I don't think it can be duplicated elsewhere. The park rangers are very knowledgable and helpful and clearly enjoy what they are doing and will talk to you for hours about the history of the Park. We had only planned on staying the one day and the evening before. If you enjoy hiking you might plan on staying more than that because there are a lot of recommended hikes one can do but would be difficult to do in just one day especially if you plan on driving to one of the resorts on the other side of the Island (2-3 hour drive). As far as places to stay I would look into B&B's in Volcano Village (1 mile away) or hotels in Hilo (short distance from the Park). Have a great vacation and if you find a nice place to stay please post a message about it!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Trevor, we will be at HVNP in three weeks. Did you go to the end of Chain of Craters Road to see the lava flowing into the sea? How far did you have to walk to see this event? And how long did it take from the start of your walk until you got back to your car? I understand this changes daily, but I do wonder how it was when you were there. I can't decide if I need to pack a box dinner or we will be back in time for dinner. We are staying in Volcano at the Kilauea Lodge which I understand is very nice with an excellent restaurant. Your review of you park experience is terrific and we are really looking forward to the visit.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Go out to www.KonaWeb.com and check out some of their repsonses. This has been discussed many times there. There are a lot of nice expensive B&B's that might fit your bill. Great views, awesome surroundings.

I am booked at the Country Goose B&B. It's nothing fancy but I will only be there 1 night. I will be spending most of the time at the volcano so I will probably not be back to the room before 10:00 pm. Will leave the next morning pretty early too, so I didn't make this a major priority. I couldn't see spending $150 for just the one quick night.
Enjoy,
Duane
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 12:35 PM

We have stayed at the Kilauea Lodge--It is very nice. Beautiful rooms and grounds. The restaurant is excellent. To my observation, it seemed by far the best in the area. To evelyntrav, when we were there (last summer), we did have to drive to the end of the chain of craters road then walk a really long way (at least a mile) over very rough hard lava to see the lava going in the ocean. I'm an avid hiker and had boots and still thought it was difficult--wouldn't do again.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:06 PM

TO EVELYNTRAV:

The evening that we were at VNP the lava flowing into the sea was visible from the road. We were very lucky! On that evening you came to a point in the road that was blocked off and you couldn't drive any further. The Park Rangers have a route marked off for you to walk. We continued walking down the road and the sight was spectacular! We did not have to walk very far. I believe some people continued to walk off the road but that night it was not necessary. Apparently, the next day the lava was not very visible and the Rangers were telling people it would be a very far walk and were discouraging people from doing it because it can be dangerous to walk far out onto the lava. At the Visitors Center they have a sign posted that tells you the visibility that day and the rangers are there for you to ask questions. It's pretty much luck as to the visibility on any given day. As far as dinner goes, I would recommend that you either eat early -- before dark so that you can see the lava at night time or go as soon as it's dark and then have dinner when you get back (make sure that the restaurant at the lodge is open late). I probably would not bring dinner because unless you are going to eat before it's dark I don't think there is really anywhere to eat unless you are going to eat in your car. Have a great time -- it's definitely a once in a lifetime experience!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:02 PM

We stayed at the Kiluea Lodge for 2 nights and really enjoyed the location (5 minutes from Volcano NP) and the restaurant is wonderful. Breakfast is included. I think we paid $125 per night. My only complaint, and this is not the fault of the Lodge, was some completely inconsiderate idiotic family had booked the 3 rooms surrounding ours with their whole family (grandma, grandpa, mom, dad, aunts and uncles and little kids). The problem was they were all there for a sunrise wedding so we were awakened at 4:00 a.m. by all of them getting up to get dressed, have a breakfast celebration together in the common room, and then noisily load everything and everybody into cars at 5:45 a.m.!!!!! It was absolutely beyond belief that all this hullaballoo was being carried on by 20 people in loud voices at this hour while other guests were clearly not part of it and in adjacent rooms!!

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:26 AM

We were at the park on 1/31. Drove down Chain of Craters road around 4 pm and got to the end of the road around 5. We hiked out across the lava, following the marked trail. We were wearing sneakers and the walk was not that bad but you really had to watch where you were going. It took 20-30 minutes from the end of the road. We could see only steam until it started to get dark. We didn't stay til full dark because I was concerned about the walk back, even with flashlights, but we turned and looked back a lot and could see the red from the flow. By the time we got back to our car (after 6:30), cars were parked a lot farther back from the end of the road, which will add to your walking distance. As someone else said, we could also see the red from the flow from a turnout on the road on the way back up. We made to Kiluea Lodge for dinner by a little after 7:30. Dinner was very good. We didn't stay there because they were booked up way in advance. We stayed at the Volcano Inn down the road, which was nice and more than adequate for one night (I've posted more in Rants & Raves). The walk was well worth doing, but I'd want a very strong flashlight if I stayed until full dark. Some people had walking sticks, which would have been very useful if available. From everything I've read, Kileua Lodge is the best place to eat, particularly if you want a nice atmosphere and good food and wine. They appeared to stick to their closing time, however, so you should consider a dinner reservation if you want to have a later dinner and go see the lava first. We got one the same day.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 07:22 PM

We have also stayed at Volcano House, it was the smallest room I have ever stayed in (and I have traveled a ton!)

The whole place has that "national park lodge" ambience. It is not luxury by any means. I think it's crazy to spend a bundle on a room with a view of the crater becuase chances are it's gonna be dark when you are in your room!
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

I've decided to make two day trips actually. The review of the local lodging don't seem so great.

Another question:
What is the best route from Kona to the volcano? Hwy 19, hwy 190 to 19 or south via 11?
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:28 AM

MDTRAVEL,

From Kona to the Volcano it is pretty much 2 hours each way whather you go North thru Waimea and Hilo or South and around that way. So 2 day trips will be a solid 8 hours in the car! Roads are in decent condition but are all 2 way undivided highway and not straight away at all. If you wanted to do nighttime lava viewing you would have some serious nighttime driving afterwards.

The Kiluea Lodge is lovely and a one night stay there would save you lots of wear and tear being a road warrior back and forth. Either way, the Volcano national Park is worth it!

Maria
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:30 AM

For those who can stay at the Armed Forces Recreational Facilities, Kilauea Military Camp is a real find. If you qualify for the Hale Koa on Oahu and Shades of Green at Disney World, then you are eligible to stay at KMC. We had a beautifully refurnished 3 bedroom, fireplaced, cottage with a full kitchen and jacuzzi for $89 per night NO TAX! It couldn't be in a better location for touring the volcano. The also run very inexpensive bus tours, and have a reasonably priced cafeteria.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 10:35 AM

I just returned from Volcano - my advice is DO NOT attempt 2 day trips to the park. The absolute best time to see lava is at night or very early in the morning, so you should spend at least one night. We rented a very cute cottage from The Guest House at Volcano - it's about 5 minutes from the park entrance in a very lush residential neighborhood. There are several cottages on the property, we rented Twin II. It was new, clean, comfortable w/ a kitchen and outdoor patio. On the porch of the main house there are guide books, flashlights, breakfast foods and coffee. It was $85/nt. Also, if you're into wine don't miss the Volcano Winery which is right down the road!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 02:23 PM
SAB

Topping for oceanlover
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:47 PM

you can't really see the lava flow into the ocean because it lets off giant plumes of steam. the park rangers won't let you anywhere near it.

You don't need to be there at night if the lava is really flowing - I got within 5 feet of it but again the park rangers called me back - it could be dangerous because the lava flows under your feet - unseen - and can make the rocks you're standing on collapse from the heat.