Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Drive back and forth to view volcano park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:32 AM
frankie

Here's my problem:we are booked at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel for a convention in February and after reading posts on the volcano wonder if we can really do it justice visiting it in one day, but with rooms already booked what to do about staying overnight near volcano. Should we just book one night near volcano park and eat one night at the Prince or can viewing, etc. be done in one day? Just come back the next day? Any tips would be appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:59 AM
kim

Depends on what you want to accomplish. Hapuna Prince is a couple of hours drive (no stopping) to the park and then another 45 minutes down Chain of Craters Road to the lava viewing (again no stopping). If you want to see the lava at night, I would suggest staying over. You can definitly see the lava and see a few park sites in one day, however any serious hiking would require more than one day. Either way, it would be a very exhausting (but worth it) day.

If you do it, bring sturdy shoes, flashlights and plenty of water. The Volcano side of the island is much cooler than the Kona/Kohala side. You will probably want more than shorts/ tshirt for the trip.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:43 AM
DEE

I've been to volcano's national park and during the day (unless it's by helicopter) you cannot see the lava...only the smoke from it pouring into the ocean. I enjoyed the park but it only takes a few hours to see.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:38 AM
frankie

Thanks for the advice! My husband thinks taking a helicopter tour would be the way to go. We have to young boys (12&10) and I thought actually seeing the lava would be better. But if you can only see it during the night I'm not so sure now. Also, does the helicopter pick up near Kona? And what do you mean by sturdy shoes? I really hate to pack too much like I always do. Thanks again.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:44 AM
eric

We stayed at the Hapuna Beach Prince and went to the Volcano for the day last August. We left by 8 AM and also stopped at the macadamia nut factory near Hilo for an hour. We walked to the Lava flow(it takes a while to get to the bottom by car), watched the movie at the Volcano House, ate lunch, looked through the art gallery and visited in the large building near the crater. We were back to Kona to eat dinner by 8PM. It was an exhausting day but was very fun. Would only go once because it was very hot on the lava flow, take warm clothes in case, but I found it very warm. Also take plenty of water, but they had a high priced concession out of the back of a van when we were there. They also had port a pots at the lava flow area. Part of the aged Nat'l Parks and most of it was interesting, but unimpressive other than the sheer expanse of it, the movie and the history. Have fun1

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Rich

We did the helicopter ride over the volcanco and it was worth every penny! We flew Hawaiian Helicopter and they were excellent. It is a bit pricey, $150.00 per person and that was several years ago. They fly out of Kona. They take you directly over the volcanco and then down to the coast line where the lava flows into the sea. But, if you want a birds eye view, this is the way to go. Hiking to the volcanco from Chain of Craters road will take at least two hours each way, maybe more. You can't really get too close anyway. You can do it in a day, but if if you can swing it, try to stay overnight close to the park. There is so much to see you can't really do it justice in just one day. By the way, Blue Hawaiian will provide you with a tape of the trip, there may have been a charge, I don't remember, but it wasn't much.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Russell Farquer

Frankie...several more points on the volcano trip.

Hupuna Beach is approx 25 miles north of Kona - 1/2 hr to Kona. From Kona to Volcano Natl. Park is approx 2 hrs. Therefore 2 1-2 hrs travel time.

At the park entrance area is the visitor center, and the crater, which you can drive around and view. Also there is the Thurston Lava Tube....These things take a couple hours to visit.

The "lava flow" is seen by driving to the end of the "chain of craters" road.
Approx 22 miles each way. Approx 45 mins.

You can view the lava during the day. You will have to hike to the current flow location....the lava flow moves...so you need to check before you go, to see if it is surface flow or flow from the tubes into the ocean.

The hike can be 2 to 3 miles and takes 1 to 2 hrs each way depending on you.

Of course, seeing the lava at night you get to see the reds, and golds, and it is simply beautiful. But seeing the actual lava is awesome....especially for 10 and 12 year olds....lots of history....and there is nothing better than touching and feeling the real stuff.

Heck , the kids can sleep on the way back to the hotel!!!!

Enjoy

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:47 PM
frankie

Russell, thanks for the additional tips! Looks like we will drive over for the day. But again, what do you consider "sturdy shoes"? I'm always overpacking and really want to try and NOT this vacation, we will take sneakers, will this be ok? What about rain gear? Will ponchos be ok? Thanks again!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:07 AM
plummie

First time we hiked to see the flow was over 30 years ago and I was ignorant enough to be wearing sandals! Took awhile for the lava cuts on my feet to heal. Hiking boots would be best. Good supportive athletic shoes would work.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Russell Farquer

Frankie:
I agree...I think sturdy athletic shoes are fine. (it's not mountain climbing)

The poncho is fine too....it's a warm rain if you get caught in it. I use a water-resistant windbreaker. Just take a light change of clothes with you......."just in case"

You're going to enjoy this!!!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 07:36 PM
John

Rather than the helicopter tour, you can charter a fixed-wing airplane at Hilo airport (couple of hours from Kohala) and overfly the volcano area for roughly half the price per person (or double the time.) Seeing the lava flow into the ocean is a remarkable experience. Plus with a high-winged plane, the view is just as good, maybe better, than from the chopper, especially if you're stuck in the middle seat.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:13 AM
frankie

What is a fixed-wing airplane? And what company is best? Which would be better if you tend to get motion sickness? Worry about the two boys! Looks like we will do some sort of flight over the volcano. With Wisconsin temps in the below zero range, Hawaii can't come soon enough!!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:10 AM
John

Fixed-wing means a plane with wings, like most, rather than a helicopter. Light planes are much cheaper to operate than helicopters, so the cost per seat/hour is cheaper. The chopper won't get you any closer to the lava action than the plane can, for safety reasons, but of course the plane can't hover.

Have a look at http://www.fly-hawaii.com/above/ for one operator out of Hilo; there are others there (also out of Kona, but that's on the wrong side of the island) that offer competitive rates - you can connect via your hotel.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:26 PM
sal

Flew over the volcano with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. It was awesome. I had two teenage boys with me and my husband. Everybody loved it. You can see the smoke coming from the caldera. Well worth it.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Jay

We flew over the volcano last May in fixed wing plane. It would have been better in a helicopter. The plane holds 10 people including the pilot (very small). You feel all the turbulance and because the plane can't hover. The pilot makes several steep banks and circles, then banks to the opposite side and circles. It was very unpleasant to put it mildly. We took a helicopter over the Napali Coast on Kauai and it was smoother than riding in a car.
Does anyone know how low the helicopter flies over the volcanoes? The plane never got lower than 3500 feet.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Russell Farquer

It's me again Frankie---

Have done both....helicopter and fixed wing...neihter beat being right there at the lava....but tend to agree with the helicopter idea due to the motion sickness, and with four of you...Usually there is 6 in the helicoper..either way is awesome.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:10 PM
frankie

Thanks everyone! The postings have been very helpful. Due to the motion sickness issue a helicopter is probably the better bet. Still have time to think it all over, or so I think!! Thanks again!!!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Bill

Pick yourself up a copy of "The Big Island Revealed". I've done the drive to Volcanoes from your hotel's area twice. The book includes lots of tips - including details on the "secret" entrance in the Thurston Lava Tube that lets you hike deep into the Earth - way cool, but bring a STRONG flashlight for each person. Best of all, it's free (the hike, not the book).

There's also info about a subterranean grotto near Hilo - if you're driving to the volcanoes, you might as well loop the island.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 11:29 AM
maw

YES definitely get "The Big Island Revealed" and start reading NOW..lots of helpful tips there for your entire trip.
We went in November and you can do it in a day or afternoon/evening. We were VERY glad we did the "after dusk" thing-- as even tho there was not "Big Lava"-- with nightfall the steam vents at the ocean were a spectacular orange and the thin ribbons of lava going into the ocean showed up SO well. About a 1/2 hour walk at that time to good seeing spots. Good quality sneakers were just fine, VERY glad we had flashlights and water bottles. It was a very long drive back in the dark to Kona tho and your drive would be farther. Allow LOTS of time for your drive both ways. We're not talkin freeway drivin here and you want time to stop a few places.If I should be so lucky as go to the Big Island again would definitely plan an overnight stay near the volcano.