Big Island - drive from Hilo to VNP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I didn't see this answered when skimming the posts. How long is the drive from Hilo to VNP? We are spending 3 days, 2 nights on the Big Island and would really like to see the lava flows at VNP. Would Hilo be a good home base?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Ag3046

About 30 minutes, plus or minus, depending on whether you are actually north of Hilo, or in Hilo.

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM

There is not guarantee you will see lava flows. When we were there the hike to the only true "lava flow" was a good hour walk in both directions, no driving to it. My understanding is that this is more the norm than not. Maybe someone else has had a different experience. The park is definitely worth the visit though just don't be surprised if there is no "orange" lava to be seen.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Ag3046

To clarify, the 30 minutes would be to the park entrance. It takes another 30-40 + minutes to the far end of the Chain of Craters road where the closest access to the lava viewing is. However, there is a great deal to see in the park overall. Go to the park website: www.nps.org, search for Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park for more maps and details. Read the directions for walking over the lava VERY CAREFULLY and ask yourself whether you are really prepared for it.( Carrying water, wearing thick-soled shoes, wearing gardening gloves in case you slip on the lava, etc) Last time I was there, it was very hot, and several folks trying the hike fell and got bloodied on the sharp lava. You can also find the link to the latest Kilauea eruption updates, with photos. The park has many great areas to explore and enjoy.

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM

It's kind of a drag to drive all the way back (over an hour) from where you will probably park your car and walk to view the lava, to Hilo. Consider staying in Volcano, or in the park itself, that night.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:17 PM
P_M

We saw the lava flow in September and it was easily a 6-hour hike round trip over very rough terrain. Be sure to bring at least 3 liters of water per person, flashlights and snacks. And as already mentioned, check with VNP visitors center to find out if flows are visible.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM

As Christie said, if your main intent is seeing VNP, dozens of nice B&B's are adjacent or close to the park. Staying at one of these saves lots of driving compared to staying in Hilo or elsewhere on the island.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:19 PM

We stayed on the Kona side and drove to VNP. Wasn't too bad.

Definately be prepared - wear hiking shoes, bring sun screen and have plenty of water.

We didn't make it as far as you could hike. But it was worth it. The lava fields are way cool and it is very unique.

8-)
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM

We were just in VNP yesterday. We hiked out to the rope line and had planned to stay til after sunset and hike back in the dark - but I'd twisted my ankle a couple of times on the way out and couldn't imagine trying to navigate the lava in the dark.

We stayed at the Kilauea Lodge (fabulous) - so after a delicious dinner and good nights sleep, we got up early this morning and went back down chain of craters road just before sunrise. You could see the lava flowing out of the vent from the ranger's station and we hiked the easy walk out to the ocean and could see the lava flowing into the ocean from there. And then we got to see the sunrise. It was great.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
tmt

Definately walk out to the lava regardless of how long it takes you. Go slow, leave so that you have 4 hours of light. The hotels offer flashlights for the walk back, but alot of the people we saw had those flashlights on your head. You can get them cheap in lots of places, you don't have to buy the cave dwellers version.

Also, we bought hiking sticks that were cheap ones that go down to about 12 inches so easy to pack and great for the walk. We are not in great shape, in our mid 40s and it was the highlight of our 3 week trip to Hawaii. We would do it again and again. We saw plenty of lava flowing - and if you get there in the daylight, you stay until its dark for the different view. Folks packed picnics with blankets etc.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
tmt

PS.

Don't plan on driving to the other side of the island after the walk. We stayed at Kileau Lodge and loved it - fireplace in August was great.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:47 AM

I wouldn't recommend walking out over the lava to see the live flows to anyone but the fittest. I went last year and thought I was going to die and that the walk out would never, ever end. We went out in the late afternoon with the idea that we could see the flow better at dusk. By the time we headed out, it was dark, and navigating up and down the rocks was a nightmare -- the worst experience of my life. No thanks, never again!

Stay at the Kilauea Lodge, which is close by and noted for it's good food. As others have mentioned, there is lots to see in the park. Look at the lava from a distance. There is also a winery in the area.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

thank you guys so much!! THink we are going to stay near the volcano atleast for the first night. I'm always amazed at the great advice from all of you =)