Notices

volatile airfares

Old May 17th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
volatile airfares

I'm stuck buying some tickets for special events on specific days for the next few months. I don't think I have ever seen such volatile airfares.

Twice the airfares disappeared while I was purchasing the tickets.

I don't think I got the same airfares on any search. One airline would be low then two seconds later another airline would be low then the fares would both disappear never to be seen again. This happened consistently over a period of two days on US domestic routes with ten carriers in competition.

I managed to get some rather inconvenient flights at a decent price but it was a rollercoaster. Anyone else? If I didn't have to go I would have thrown in the towel.

Old May 17th, 2006, 01:06 PM
bonniebroad

kakalena, I noticed the same thing when researching fares for my son for the summer. A United rep told me that the planes were going to be crowded, and the fares high, this summer!

Old May 17th, 2006, 03:44 PM

I have checked out some fares for summer. They are indeed high! A combination of fuel prices, tons of travellers etc. I think I am going to "skip" flying anywhere this summer..I am discouraged. But I have a choice, obviously you don't kakalena. Best wishes..hope you get your flights worked out.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Ugh. Air travel just gets more and more depressing....I'm beginning to avoid it if at all possible.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:09 PM

yep, i have 5 flights out of LA this summer and it's KILLING my budget. 2 bridal showers, 2 weddings, 1 master's program graduation. the gifts ain't gonna be cheap, either.

ughghghhgghhhhhhh....
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:01 PM

I tried to book airfare this past weekend and our flights went up $800 per person in 4 hours and never went back down. Should have just booked the flights when I saw them but I thought I had time to research a little more. Had to switch dates.