Airfare sale - Maybe?

Search

Airfare sale - Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfare sale - Maybe?

Just received an e-mail from Travelocity listing good fares to Europe. Maybe someone out there will benefit.

Here's the link:

http://leisure.travelocity.com/Promo...r_main,00.html
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Sorry all, I should have mentioned the travel dates are for Summer Season: May 31 - September 01
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 07:19 PM
rex

Yeah "maybe"....

Several of the fares shown on this "promotion" prompt a number of observations...

They show the lowest fare from Atlanta as $703 (whichis really more like $825) and the lowest from Los Angeles as $714. No wonder "we" in the "interior" feel like we can never get decent fares, compared to markets that are consideraby greater distances from Europe (ATL to LON is 4218 miles; LAX to BRU is 5628 miles).

But it's also frustrating that thi "promotion" provides no easy wy to actually FIND these fares (which don't seem "that" low to me). I entered three arbitrary dates in June, July and August for ATL-LON and only got fares $150-200 higher.

Just venting, I guess...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 03:43 AM
jenifer

I actually have not had good luck using travelocity's search engine for international trips, because more often than not they seem to turn up either no flights, or fares on airlines that they then later say don't actually offer that service.

But, I used their flexible dates search engine, for anywhere from June through August for ATL-LON and came up with $480 (after taxes/fees) on Air Canada, connecting through Toronto, for 6/23-6/30. The key to those fares appears to be traveling only on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, and I doubt there are many non-stop flights available, except maybe from Boston or NYC.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 04:17 AM
rex

I wonder if this company is in real trouble. The elimination of a call center in Appalachian Virginia (farming out to India) setting a small town back with a big loss of 250 jobs (and this after big tax incentives to put the call centr there, though in the company's defense, they are giving some of those tax breaks back) - - and spending $80 million on this latest "gnome" advertiding campaign - - is not going to set well with a lot of their potential customers.

I don't think that I consciously choose one over the other, but my wife did just spend about $800 last night on Expedia. For no particular reason (over the others) that I know of.

Eventually, Mr. Gates will have all our business in every sector, it seems.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 05:33 AM

I also checked the travelocity link and was not impressed with the results. The fares from Detroit to Milan for July and August were the same that I have been getting on some of the other sites, though much lower than on others. The fares are a scatter.

And it seems that there are plenty of seats available. Are the airlines holding out with the high prices this year? Do the expanded alliances have anything to do with this? Even the results from my favorite bucket shop have not been anything to jump for.