Notices

Yosemite Lodging

Old May 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yosemite Lodging

I am still trying to finalize my plans to Yosemite in July...these are my options...

2 nights @ Wawona (Around $200/nite...and we have to switch rooms 1 w/bath; 1 w/o)
OR
2 nights @ Bug Resort (sounded interesting & only $85/night)

Any thoughts...is it REALLY worth being in the park with the hassle of moving rooms...also the price...
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM

A few years back we went to Yosemite and had to switch rooms. I sent the deposit as they requested. It turns out that they needed two deposits because of the two rooms, but no one had bothered to tell us that. We stood in line to check in for the second place and they had given our room away, due to the lack of a deposit. All they had left were slabs of concrete with a covering over them. I was pregnant and could not sleep on a slab of concrete and needed a bathroom...I was so upset that they finally found a room for us in a lodge. Moral of the story: If you switch rooms, make sure you ASK them whether you need two deposits.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Staying in the Valley is always "worth it" but Wawona is not in the Valley---it is a 30 minute drive away. It is, however, a lovely old historic hotel, near the giant Sequoia grove. (Maybe not $200's worth of loveliness, though).

What and where is the Bug Resort? I've never heard of it.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

I saw Bug Resort on Frommers & Trip Advisor. It is in Midpines. "25 miles to the Valley Floor". Cute cabins with baths; the part I liked was the "Swimming hole"...reviews on trip advisor were mixed...they seemed to like accommodations but service was lacking...but I'm not really expecting top of the line service.

Are you saying this would be closer to Valley then Wawona?
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM

The Yosemite Bug Resort is at Midpines on Hwy 140. They have rooms, tent cabins, and dorms.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Check out the Redwoods near Wawona. They rent cabins of any sizes that are privately owned and fully furnished with kitchens. You really have the feeling that you live in the area. We have used them twice.
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Having seen the Wawona Hotel, there is absolutely no way I would ever pay anywhere close to $200/nt for a room there. I will go so far as to say that the Ahwahnee at $400/nt is a better value than the Wawona. The hotel is considered "historic", but in this case that really means "old and in need of major renovations". They were doing some work on the outside of the property last June when we visited, but don't know about the interior. Given that it is about a 45 minute drive to the valley, you would do better to stay in one of the hotels in one of the towns near the various Yosemite entrances.
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Looks like the Bug has changed its tune! It's now a "resort", no longer a "hostel". Well, whatever, it's closer to Yosemite Valley than is Wawona, that's for sure. There are many places outside the park boundaries that are closer to the Valley than Wawona. "Inside the park" does not mean "close to the Valley".
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:07 AM

I'm going to Yosemite with the Green Tortoise in July. Check out their website if you want to save money and meet others from around the world.

www.greentortoise.com

Old May 13th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Well...I just finished looking through Tripadvisor reviews of Wawona...WOW! I think I will cancel my reservations right now! It sounds awful. I cannot pay $200/night for a dirty hotel room...

Think I'd rather go with the Bug Resort...it sounds unique. At least we will only be out $85 for the night. Plus, we'll be closer to the valley.

Thanks for everyone's insight.
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:51 AM

You will not be closer to the Valley staying at the Bug. It is virtually the same. Wawona is however inside the park so you would not have any of the entrance traffic that you will have when you go back and forth to the Bug.
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:27 PM

We have stayed at Wawona several times and really like it. It has atmosphere. We like upscale hotels but this was fun. We have also stayed at the Marriott right outside the South end of the park. I think it is under other management now. It was a typical Marriott but had very nice hayride to western barbque. We took Swiss friends who thought it was amazing.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM
trippinkpj

Cool Wally, about the Green Tortoise. I've thought about taking one of their tours for years (I live in the South bay area). And I don't drive, so it would be nice to "go on my own" in a way, LOL.

Old May 16th, 2006, 11:26 AM

I have just returned from Yosemite and stayed at the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal- $159/nt - it was fine- no complaints - easy drive into the park-
in fact you can take a YARTS bus into the Village if you dont want to drive -
we dont spend a lot of time in our rooms so not worth it to me to spend a fortune.
We did go to the Ahwahnee for drinks every night after a day of exploring so got to enjoy some of the amenities without the cost
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Sunbum, what is a YARTS bus? And would you recommend taking it into the Park rather than driving? I'll be there with my mother and daughter at the end of June. I'm sure it will be busier then, but that's the earliest we could go.
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:08 PM

YARTS is the Yosemite Area Regional Transport System - a bus service that services quite a large area around Yosemite.
I didnt actually take the bus but it seems to me it would be a great option rather than trying to deal with the traffic- there is a website with info - just enter YARTS and you'll find it.
Then once you are in the valley there are free shuttles that you can take to many areas too so car not really needed if its just the Yosemite valley you are visiting.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Thanks, Sunbum. My mother's 83and even though she's very active we weren't planning on doing a lot of hiking. I was planning on taking a couple of their tours and so taking a bus to the village sounds like a good idea.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:56 PM

Check out the hidden B & B's (or apts) at Yosemite West. It is essentially staying inside the park though you are technically on private property next to it.

The ONLY way into this area is from INSIDE the park, near the turnoff for Glacier Point (see map link below). It is at about 6000ft and so is nice and cool in the summer, and you get the bonus of being in the park but not in the congested valley. We have stayed at several but our favorite is called "Yosemite West High Sierra Bed & Breakfast". The owners know every single trail and trivia about the park and are wonderful hosts.

http://www.yosemitewest.com/hsierra.htm

map of Yosemite West area:
http://www.sierranet.net/web/sierra/map.htm
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:35 AM

We never stayed in the park but in Mariposa,in a nice motel.It's only a short but nioce trip to the park from there; pAUL
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Mariposa is not a short trip into the valley. That is misleading. It is 1 hour to the valley plus any time you wait at the entrance station.