Visiting Los Angeles during the BCSCG

Dec 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Visiting Los Angeles during the BCSCG

3 nights/days free in LA area. Never been, what to do?
Dec 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM

What is the BCS....?
Dec 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Bowl Championship Series Championship Game . . . . In January, between Texas and Alabama, Rose Bowl.

For the OP, give us general age and what you enjoy doing, and we'll give you ideas!
Dec 17th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Los Angeles, as you're probably aware, is the second largest city in the US, and the LA metropolitan area, sometimes called greater LA, encompassing LA and all its surrounding communities, is very extensive and has a population in excess of 12 million. So there's a lot to see and do.

I suggest you peruse the following web site, which pretty much covers the "sees and dos", in a variety of categories. Be sure to click on "Next Page" when you get to the bottom of each page.

Then you can come back to the board with more specifics.
Dec 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Whoops. Forgot to post the link. Here it is.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/l...city-guide.htm
Dec 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM

ua81,

You might get more replies if you just simply call it the Rose Bowl game!
Dec 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM

But it's NOT the Rose Bowl game! It's AT the Rose Bowl, but it's not the Rose Bowl game.
Dec 17th, 2009, 10:56 AM
lvk

Clarification:

The Rose Bowl Game is January 1st at the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena. As always, the PAC10 champion - This year it is the University of Oregon - will play the Big 10 champion - Ohio State.

On January 7th, also at the Rose Bowl Stadium, is the BCS Championship Game. This is the game that will feature Texas vs. Alabama. www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfootball

Add to that the Tournament of Roses Parade and all of the hoopla that entails, and Pasadena will be one busy place the first week of January.
www.tournamentofroses.com/

I agree with the others, though, we need more info. before we can offer any suggestions to the OP.
Dec 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM

FYI, the greater Los Angeles area is bigger than Rhode Island.

Where will you be staying? Will you have a car? Are you a budget traveler?
Dec 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

I'll be with my daughter (23) and her college roommate. They want to shop, eat and sightsee as well as night-life. We are staying at the InterContiental Hotel in Century City. I know we'll do Rodeo Drive "window" shopping.

Also, I've got a parking pass from Univ. of Alabama, not sure which lot it is though. Renting a car.

Help with plans!
Dec 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM

How about a movie studio tour?

http://california-travel.suite101.co...d_studio_tours
Dec 21st, 2009, 10:12 PM

Shopping ideas: Beverly Hills; Old Towne Pasadena; Farmer's Market/The Grove (L.A.); Americana (Glendale).

Sightseeing ideas: The Getty Museum, West L.A.; The Getty Villa, Malibu; Griffith Observatory; hike to Hollywood sign and/or Runyon Canyon (both have amazing city views).
Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:54 AM

I too will be at the BCS championship..and am looking for some suggestions..opposite of UA81..arriving on Tues and will have a car..would like to go toward mountains and lodges, lakes or quaint beach town..know I cannot cover all the areas..not interested in LA or big city glam..generous budget and flexible time before and after THE game..enjoy relaxed upscale lodging.not so much the box chains..no preference as to mountains or beach..just great sights
thanks for any suggestions and Roll Tide!
Dec 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM

nanoo, since your budget is generous and you like quaint beach towns, I would look into the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...el/Default.htm

ua81, in addition to iregeo's shopping suggestions, I would add Melrose Avenue.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM

For the mountains, google Lake Arrowhead Resorts and Big Bear Lake Resorts. You'll find more upscale places at Lake Arrowhead.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
lvk

ua81 - Robertson Blvd is a great shopping spot for females that age-- Kitson, MAC, etc. It is close to Century City and you might even spot a few celebrities coming in or out of The Ivy. www.losangeles.com/shopping/

If you do decide to do a studio tour, Warner Brothers is a good one. www2.warnerbros.com/vipstudiotour/ You could then shop nearby at "It's a Wrap", a thrift store that gets its inventory from the wardrobe departments of the studios. The price tags all have codes to tell you on which production the garment was used. www.itsawraphollywood.com/

nanoo- for a quaint beach town, check out these places in the South Bay:
www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach-hotels.html
www.shadehotel.com/
Or get away from it all here:
www.terranea.com
For a mountain retreat: www.laresort.com/lars/default.htm
Dec 22nd, 2009, 12:43 PM

UA81, one of the better shopping centers on L.A.'s Westside is three blocks from your hotel. Three hours free parking.

http://westfield.com/centurycity/centre-information/