Search

Visit NewYork just before Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit NewYork just before Christmas

Hello,
My husband and I are visiting NYC during 22-24th Dec. We are staying at Murray Hill East Suite Hotel.
Please advice how the hotel is? Also what is the best way out for a cheap parking as the hotel doesnt have any parking? Is there any place around to park at a cheap day rate for 2-3 days? Suggestions for any good italian restaurant?
Any good dining restaurants around, also any good cheap eats & breakfasts?
Also, please suggest anything that I should do during that time in NYC which might be special and not to miss??
Thanks in advance,
Preeya
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:37 AM

For parking try iconparking.com. It will show a list of dozens of lots with their locatins and rates and you can even make an on-line reservation. Print out the info for proof - since garages can be very crowded then (some in semi-residential areas accept only monthlies).

For special holiday things to do - Rock Center - with the tree, skating, angels and upscale shops - the store windows (walk from Lord & Taylor up fifth Ave to 57th - then over to Barneys and Bloomies) - the Neapolitan tree/creche at the Met. Be sure to do a special holidy performance of something - I esp love the Nutcracker - but there are lots of choral and other informal performances all over the city - check out Ne York Mag or TimeOut..
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 05:38 PM

I just posted this but Saks has a beautiful Christmas display. Stand in Rockefeller center and watch on the hour and half hour. Even a bunch of jaded NYers were impressed!
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot nytraveler and yeadonite! But I find parking very expensive even on iconparking for 2 days like $100 or so. Any other suggestions as to parking around Murray Hill East Suite Hotel? Any street parking & its rules?
Also, what is the show at Rockefeller center and what are the timings and days? Please suggest!
Thanks-Preeya
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:31 AM
GoTravel

preeya, parking will be that expensive in Manhattan unless you park in New Jersey and take the NJTransit in.

The Turkish Kitchen is in that area, fairly reasonable, and excellent.

Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:11 AM

Street parking will be impossible. The further east you go the cheaper parking will be. try in the upper 40's or low 50's. I think that time of year the cost will be high.

Try looking for cheap eats on citysearch:

http://newyork.citysearch.com/find/s...ar_restaurants
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Parking on the street is not an option. Either it is metered (1 hour - can;t stay longer) or banned - or you have to account for alternate side parking to allow for street cleaning (requires you to move cars every day from one side of the street to the other at specificed times in the middle of the day).

If you park over by first avenue you might find something for about $35 per day or so. don;t know of anything cheaper than that.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:52 AM

You can pick up a cheap breakfast and/or lunch at most delis (which are all over the place). I think your hotel has kitchenettes in the room, so you can even pick up snacks and drinks for the room.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone, we are actually taking Greyhound bus service to reach NYC, so we dont have to bother about parking
Hope to have a good time in NYC-Preeya
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:11 AM

preeya, I noticed on your museum thread you're vegetarian. Here are 4 veggie rest. in the area where you're staying. Hangawi is rated the best veg in the city by the Zagat guide. The page I'm giving you is a good search engine for restos.
http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp...dResturantIds=