Viewing the New York Marathon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is running his first ever marathon in NY in November. My daughter and I hope to be there to cheer him on. We hear the end of the race is chaotic and often takes quite awhile to find loved ones. We were thinking maybe we could find 2 or 3 points along the course to try to see him. Any recommendations from folks who have experienced this event either as a runner or a spectator? Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:29 PM

There are lots of good viewing locations on the Upper East Side that will allow you to also get to the park to meet him at the end. Anywhere along First Ave. from 59th north.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Ooops, sorry, I thought you were refering to the Great march passing Madison Square Garden today. What an eye opener.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Really? Why an eye opener?

Everybody knows NYC is anti-Bush and anti-war (a surprise considering how NYC is being treated by his administration?). I'm only astonished there weren't more protesters. (By the way the VP was greeted by a gigantic 300 supporters earlier today. Wonder where they got them all?)
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:51 PM

By the way - sorry to hijack the Marathon post.

Suggest you view from First Avenue in the upper 60's/lower 70's (further south than that and it will be really hard to get close enought to see anything).

Then simply walk west towards the park - but I think you'll need to wait near the finish line - to see someone again on the way south and then again at the finish you would need to be really quick.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM

First Avenue is a good bet. Up in the 80's you can see the runners coming from far away (up a long hill). It's not too crowded...you can get right up against the police barriers to look for your husband.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Hi Love to:

I ran this great race three times. The finish line area is very crowded.

When I ran I had plenty of adrenaline to get me to Manhattan island! The run off the 59th street bridge to first avenue was one of the highlights of the race. That being said the race continues up 1st avenue and it gets quiet pretty quick! I had my wife wait for me at around 90th street It was a good pick me up spot!

Then you go across and get to the Park and pick him up again as the runners enter back into the park from the Bronx around 107th street? (not sure of this one) but it is very open there and you can get close to the runers!

Now make your way down to the Carousel around 72nd street. This is a good pre=planed meeting spot. Your Husband has finished his great run, he is getting his medal, he is eating various fruits and health bars that are given out! He is working his way across the ballfields pass the medical tents and meets you at the carousel where you pop the champagne and celebrate one of the great NYC experiences one can have!!!

Then off to shower, change and celebrate the night away!!!
Good luck to both of you!

John
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:31 AM
QC

May I suggest NOT watching in Manhattan?

The emptiest spectator section in my experience has been in Sunset Park, Brooklyn (4th Avenue from about 25th Street to 55th Street). There will be maybe a few dozen people watching on any given block. It's also very close to the beginning of the race, so you can get there early, cheer hubby on, hop on the subway, and meet him at the finish!

It's also easy to get to: take the "D", "N", or "R" to 36th Street.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM

The end of the race is more than chaotic. But here is my advice to help find each other. After he crosses the finish line, it will be at least 20 minutes before he is actually able to find you. They exit the race area based on their last name. We are "B" so it was the LAST exit, so it took my husband longer to get to the "exit" area whic was several blocks from the finish line. The "family meet" area is crazy. They will exit the runners area and then have to remove their timing chip.

As an experienced "athletic supporter", here is what I have done to help find each other in the masses of sweat and post-run confusion. I went to an office supply place and bought one of those "pointers" that telescope in and out - about $4. Collapsed, it looks like a ball point pen. At the end of the race, I blow up balloons and hook them on the end and then "telescope" it out and then just hold it in the air. My husband knows to look for the paricular color of balloons that I have on there. Some people may hold up signs, or photographs, streamers on sticks or anything so that the runner will look for you. It is easier for him to find you, than it is for you to find him, because they all look pretty much the same after 26.2! I chose balloons or streamers, because they are easier to carry around than stupid signs and posters! Plus, when you find each other, the balloons are popped, the pen collapsed and you are good to go! When I am going to be looking for him during the race, I do the same thing, so that when he sees those balloons, he knows it's me....I know it means a great to him to see those balloons. They can be held up high enough so that they don't disrupt anyone else's view, too. (Don't use orange ones in NYC - that is the color of the logo for the race and there are alot of orange balloons around the race area.)

Have a great time, he will love the race.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi Maple, WOW, thank you for sharing your experience. Our whole family is getting nervous and excited about this event! I don't think we can even begin to imagine the "crowds" and it sounds like those "crowds" really inspire the runners to finish!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Well! How did he do???

A great day to watch..but I bet it was too hot to run!!
John
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I missed this question!I got busy with "life" and was off the forum for awhile. Hubby finished in 4 hrs 43 min
and was in FANTASTIC shape when he finished. Daughter and I got to see him at mile 23 and he was going so fast he would not stop for a photo and we could barely catch up with him! The 2.1 million spectators definitely inspired him to finish along with the 12,000 fabulous volunteers. It is a beautifully organized race, in a spectacular city, with wonderful people. My husband could not dream of a BETTER place to run 26 miles!
It was an experience of a lifetime that we will never forget! NYC rocks!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Thats great! Congradulations to your husband! I agree that this is the Marathon to run.....if you are going to run on that is!

As one who last ran his last one in 1982!!...time will only add to this great accomplishment!!
john
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:41 PM

lovetotravel2, how ironic, my son just received his NYC marathon certificate in the mail today for his first ever marathon! We were able to see him at mile 17 and mile 26 and his net time was 4:35. He ended in great shape as well. Congratulations to your husband!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM

I'm the same situation that lovetotravel2. My husband will run and I'll go to watch with my daughter 2 years old. Is it dangerous for her?
Let me know what happened...
Thanks
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:56 AM

Hi! Can you clarify what you mean by your question "Is it dangerous for her?"
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:50 AM

seetheworld:
I ask if is it dangerous for her because of the mob (2.100.000). What do you think?
When did you see your son at mile 17 and 26 you were able to stay close to him? Did he see you too?
Thanks,
Vânia
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Hi Vania.

In order to see our son during the marathon, we worked out a plan on where HE wanted us to give him moral support. We decided on mile 17 because it was close to the subway stop (I believe 77th St).

We got there exceptionally early (to see the top runners) and staked out our spot on the corner. As the race continued, what was once a relatively empty area became overwhelmed with people (3-4 rows deep), but we still had our spot on the barricade although we were now squeezed together.

Did WE see him and did HE see us? The answer is yes. This is how we did it.

We had lots of signs, balloons (which he knew we would have), and our screaming voices could not be missed. He also wore his name in bold red letters on his shirt (under his tag number).

Each runner gets a computer chip to wear which can be programmed to send a text message to 3 different people when the runner reaches certain mile markers during the race. Our phone would ring/buzz and indicate the mile he was at, and since we knew his average pace time, we could anticipate his approach.

I don't know if you will have a mobile phone, but the NYC Marathon information packet gives detailed instructions on how to do this.

We then headed through Central Park to see him at mile 26, just before the finish. I have to say, in all honesty, that was a nightmare. Since everything is blocked off all around the Park, there is no direct route. Eventually we ended up going through Columbus Circle which was also blocked. Many strollers and people stuck in the barricade until the police wisely let people through. I would suggest you avoid that area -- it truly was a mob scene.

The text message came while we were still racing to get to mile 26 and we luckily made it about 10 minutes before he appeared. A couple from our group were able to get up close to the barricade so I was able to see him and he us!

These moments are fleeting, so plan wisely with your husband.

As far as safety for your daughter. You really have to decide for yourself what you feel comfortable doing. Thankfully not all 2.1 million people are standing in the same spot, lol!

It's a very festive atmosphere but of course, you should remember you are still in a major metropolitan city.

If you are going by yourself, you will be responsible for not only finding your way around, but also you will need to vigilantly watch your daughter. Common sense things such as keeping the stroller in front of you so that you can watch your daughter while watching the race is necessary.

Pack food and drink for her! We did not do this and truthfully we didn't eat a thing the whole day (except for some cookies I happened to throw in my backpack the last minute) because we didn't want to "miss" anything.

My best advice is to work out a plan prior to the race with your husband. Also, keep in mind that taxis will be very hard to come by -- so pace yourself!

Plenty of families were supporting their loved ones during the race. It certainly can be done In all honesty, with a young child I would probably just pick one location and then play the rest by ear. If things become a little overwhelming for your daughter, you can always head away from the race route for a little peace and quiet. Enjoy!