NYC Halloween Parade advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three middle-aged teachers are using up all of our vacation days to go to NYC Oct. 30 thru Nov. 4. We're not big partiers, but we won't turn down a couple of good margaritas. We have explored NYC several times, but always in midtown and Times Square. This time we have rooms at the Washington Square Hotel and we want to make the most of an area we haven't seen much of--any suggestions about the parade, the Village, Accomplish Greenwich Village, middle of the road eateries, etc? Any insight will be appreciated; we love visiting NYC and doing new things. Thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM

For the parade be sure you have a camera - otherwise no one at home will believe what you're telling them.

Have a look at the web sites of New York Magazine and Time Out New York - which will list dozens of interesting/special activities for the dates of your stay.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank, nytraveler, I will definitely have a camera. I'm kind of embarrassed now--I just realized I posted "Accomplish" New York instead of "Accomplice" New York. Duh.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:04 AM

I've taken my cousin to the parade when he is in town the past 3-4 years and we always have fun. If you're game for it dress up and march in it. You don't need any special qualifications and it would be a cool memory. I would suggest you line up on the earlier side to get a good view.

Otherwise one of my favorite sushi places is Yama on Carmine. Best burgers are at Corner Bistro if you can venture a little further north. There are a lot of cool vintage shops on Bleecker.

Keep your eyes open around Washington Square Park during the late hours -it can get a little sketchy.

You might want to venture further into the west village for bars as many of them directly around washington sq. park are nyu/college places.

i think one of the best parts is just to wander around.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, jodeenyc, we will be careful when out walking at night. We will take your advice on visiting some bars that are not so much college-themed, as we probably don't fit in any more with that crowd, even tho we all three graduated from the #2 party school in the country, Ole Miss. (Not really proud of that designation) Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM

I'd recommend Ditch Plains in the West Village not very far from Washington Square Park. They have great wine values and half bottles. Plus they are open super early and way late. Mainly seafood but they do have other food.

Also Alta on West 10th for tapas. And a beautiful bar and great sangria. Pio Maya on 8th street for mexican, but I don't think they have a liquor license and it's a tiny place, but good food.

You'll be close to Lupa and Otto, both Mario Batali restaurants. Otto is always packed with people at the bar.

Just a few suggestions for food around you, there's tons within a 10 minute walk.

Also, make sure you go into a Ricky's. don't be put off by the costumes in the windows, it's a fantastic treasure trove of wigs, costumes, hair accessories, products, a designer vampy drugstore. They'll probably have a specific Halloween store somewhere in the Village, but there's also one on 8th street close to Mercer. And the one is SoHo is huge.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
mp

As someone who lives a block from the parade route, I can tell you it is one terrific night. Be aware of course that close to 2 million people attend/view the parade (not including the local 4 million who watch it on TV) - many of the stores along the parade route close early (by 5:00pm) that day. Just walking around the West Village and Chelsea before the parade is HUGE fun - almost everyone dresses up. I canalso suggest walking up to 22nd Street between 9th and 10th Avenues - a block of mostly privately owned brownstones where all the neighbors decorate their houses (and some are INCREDIBLE - lotsa artists) and distribute candy to the kids. It's really worth going around to 6;00 or 6:30, before the parade gets up to 8th street. You can walk back to the parade in time.

The theme this year is "wings of desire" so be prepared for lots of sexually explicit costumes - this is not so kid appropriate. Also - you might want to see about rooms in your hotel in the quieter back of the building - the park can get loud that night. GREAT restaurant suggestions - but as I said, it's a very wild busy night in NYC - and places get very crowded.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for these tips; I can hardly wait to go! We love tapas bars and I know we will definitely go to a Ricky's--I had never heard of it. Again, thanks for the suggestions, and if you have any more, keep them coming. I have to work on a costume idea for the three of us.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM

If you're willing to wear even a hint of a costume, you can get right in the parade. It's MUCH easier to get around and far more pleasant than braving the throngs on the other side of the police barriers. I've walked in the parade several times and it's a blast. And, if you don't like it, you can duck out anytime. Otherwise, be prepared for crowds and barriers everywhere. It can take quite some time to walk a single block if you are just off of 6th Avenue. Have fun! You're in for a real treat.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, jeepyland, we are going to wear costumes but we haven't come up with them yet. We want to be in on all the fun!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Thought this would be of use, but perhaps you've seen it already:

http://www.halloween-nyc.com/index.php

In my experience, you don't need to be there at the beginning - just duck under the barriers wherever you can and enjoy!