Search

very vague, prelim questions about new york

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:23 AM
ltt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very vague, prelim questions about new york

i have never been to new york and am considering taking my 4 sisters there in 2007 for a 4 or 5 night say. we are between 45-60 - all good walkers. i will get some books to read but wondered if you guys could give me some general areas to focus on. we are not wealthy by any means. ideally, i'd like to rent a suite with 3 bedrooms or maybe a hotel with adjouring suites. we'd like to be in an area where we could walk to restaurants, sites, etc. not big on shopping. will probably try to see one play (but not a priority for me). i personally would like to take the public transport to the bronx or some other borough that would show us different side to the "tourist" area. i know this is vauge but just looking for a starting point before doing more research.
what areas would you suggest i look at for hotels/suites, etc? manhatten seems to be mentioned most. is that what's best? accommodations to sleep 5 people. if i look for moderate, clean motels/hotels, do you think i could find something for about $400/night?
thanks for any suggestions.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Suerich68

$400 a night for 5 people? In 3 rooms?
What time of year are you planning to do this? January/Feb have probably the lowest occupancies. It's pretty difficult to walk all over Manhattan; you might want to stay mid-town to be central. Only you know what you would like to focus on. There are many posts you can research here at Fodors.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:49 AM

You might check the Affinia hotels as they offer suites. Also the Travel Inn on W. 42nd St. is very close to Times Square but in a quieter area at night.

Another excellent suggestion would be The Hotel Grand Union which could probably do adjoining rooms and would be in your price range. The website is www.hotelgrandunion. The hotel is on E 32nd ST and close to transportation and shopping and alot of restaurants.

Yes get a good book on the city so you can decide what kinds of things you want to see.

Staying in Manhattan is really the best choice, since most of what you will want to see is here.

You also might enjoy a trip to the Botanical Garden and the Bronx Zoo which are very close to each other, or a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to see a bit of Brooklyn.

Have fun in your planning.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Manhattan is the center of NYC - and it would take you weeks to see everything in Manhattan alone.

If you want to see something in one of the outer boroughs (counties) - like the Bronx zoo or the Brooklyn Museum or Botanical Gardens that's fine. But generally those boroughs are middle to workng class residential areas - and are huge - with millions of people - they're as big as most other cities - not neighborhoods to explore in a couple of hours. (Walking the brooklyn Bridge and eating in the area near it is fine - but just barely touches on a borough of over 100 square miles and 2.5 million people.

Suggest you get a couple of guide books and read the destination section above - and get an idea of what each of you wants to do. Then put an itinerary together. If it includes something in the outer boroughs fine - but otherwise don;t waste time looking at mile upon mile of houses, apartment buildings and strip malls .

As for room for 5 I suggest you look at affinia.com all suite hotels - moderate4 and get good reviews andmay have somethingin your prie range. If not check out the applecroe group of bdgethotels - which also get good reviews for the price (although I don;t know if they have any rooms for 5 - you may have to do a 2 and a 3).
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Two other budget suite options in Midtown are Radio City Apartments and Murray Hill East Suites.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:01 AM

One misconception you may have, ltt: The "tourist area" is just a few blocks around times square and there is a LOT more of Manhattan that you can walk to. You could keep busy for weeks doing things that are just New York stuff, not things only for tourists.

I can't imagine going to see NYC, then not actually staying in a hotel in Manhattan. Rooms are typically mluch smaller and much more expensive thatn other cities, so you are smart to start your planning now. The above posters have given some good ideas.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM

"manhatten seems to be mentioned most. is that what's best?

Manhattan is what most people think of when they say NYC. It's the island upon which most of the places you will want to see is located.

"what areas would you suggest i look at for hotels/suites, etc?"

Since Manhattan is where most people want to be, that's ideally where you should look. But an accomodation to sleep 5 adults comfortably is a challenge at any price, let alone $400. NYC has become so popular with the weak dollar. And it is true that prices will fluctuate dramatically by season. If your budget is limited, you might want to consider coming at a cheaper time (uusually less desirable too) like Jan-March.

Within Manhattan, most first time tourists like to stay in midtown so hotels there are usually most expensive. There are also hotels downtown (most notably for your purposes an Embassy Suites in the financial district that's very good value for money). The upper westside is also very popular with some nice budget suite hotels including the Beacon and the Milburne.

Radio City apartments (midtown)
radiocityapartments.com
has probably become the most popular budget hotel b/c it is apartments with kitchens, it's centrally located (near Rockefeller Center, Fifth Ave., within a short walk of Times Square etc.) They have some suites with 2 bedrooms. (You won't find many suites with 3 bedrooms).

The Salisbury (midtown)
nycsalisbury.com
has some 2 bedroom 2 bath suites but they must be booked on the phone and they will be pricey. This is a nice budget hotel, also apts., near Central Park.

The Affinias already mentioned are also mostly in midtown and very nice - some have 2 bedroom suites but not sure they have 2 baths.

The Best Western Hospitality hotel (midtown) has some good sized 2 bedroom suites, again I think only 1 bath.

Things to think about-
>how many bathrooms are you willing to manage with
>how many beds (and what sort?) Will any of you want to sleep on a sofabed?
>Do you really all need to stay together?

When you think about the bathroom situation, don't equate it to what you managed with at home. While one bathroom may be fine in a family where everyone is going their own way at hopefully different times, on vacation, everyone needing to get ready at the same time, it will take forever with only 1 bathroom.

Also keep in mind, many of the suites are designed for families with kids so it may not be so comfortable for 5 adults.

Those looking to save money have found staying in certain areas of New Jersey, just across the Hudson River can save a lot of money. The trade off is you don't have access to your room during the day for dropping off packages, resting etc. and it may mean doing 2 roundtrips a day if you have plans for the evening.

The Hyatt in Jersey City is a popular option (not sure if they have suites). The Doubletree Club in Jersey City is not as nice but does have suites and is well located.

I think your biggest decision has to be budget. Realistically, you should each be willing to spend $100/night on a room.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM
GoTravel

Agree that at a minimum you'll be looking to spend about $100 per person per night for low season just for pre tax accommodations. Check the Affina hotels and the Salisbury Hotel.

A three bedroom suit would run you around $1000 per night off season.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:26 PM

lcuy -

The "tourist area" of Manhattan runs from South Ferry - and the islands in the harbor - up to the Met at least - a distance of more than 8 miles - river to river - so a couple of miles wide. If you include some less well know places - St John the Divine, upper Manhattan Museums, the Cloisters etc - the entire island of Manhattan is a tourist area.

And it will take weeks to explore this - without going near the Bronx or Brooklyn - never mind Queens or Staten Island - except for very specific sights that a tourist might want to see.

Why look at mile upon mile of middle class residnetial areas when you could be seing some of the greatest sights in the Western hemisphere?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM

For accommodations, you might want to consider a furnished apartment rental. My husband and I have done this for our last 2 NYC trips and were really pleased. It was nice to have a small kitchen,seperate bedroom, and living room. We stayed on the Upper West Side last summer (1/2 a block from Central Park) and the year before, we were in the Village. We have used 2 websites to rent apartments: www.urbanliving.com; www.metro-home.com. Just another possibility that might come out more affordable than hotel rooms!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:45 PM

nytraveler- I think you misread my post...I was saying the same as you! That the crowded area ltt is thinking is the tourist area is likely just Times Square and is only a small part of Manhattan. There is no need to travel outside manhattan to see the "real" NYC. :-B
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM
MaureenB

Last May we were very happy with the Affinia Gardens, on the upper East side, for its two bedroom/ two bath suite, with a kitchenette. It was about $650, and easily slept 5 people. (There were two beds in one bedroom, plus a sofa sleeper.) I'd recommend the Affinia chain-- good service, very nice hotel.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:21 AM
MaureenB

We booked the Embassy Suites for our family of four this October. It's reasonably priced for a large suite, and includes a complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast plus a cocktail reception every evening. It's south, near Battery Park, Wall Street, and subway stops.
>-

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM

Are you REALLY looking for a cheap place? I found one in Greenwich Village but I can't guarantee how great it is since I haven't been there yet (email me after Oct. 15) It's called The Larchmont Hotel. Sounds like its clean and in a "safe but lively" location. The rates are approximately $120 for a double and $99 for a single. You do have to share a bath in the hall, but there are 2 bathrooms for the 5 rooms on the floor so you will monopolize them anyway. This may be cheaper than you want to go but its another option. Check out their web site.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
maj

We went to New York for the first time last Spring. If you take a cab/car from LGA you will see some of one of the boroughs driving from the airport to the city. We also took the Grey Line two day bus tour -- one tour was through Brooklyn. If you only want to see one of the boroughs, I would recommend this one -- took us through different neighborhoods.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM

I have a few suggestions for an outer borrough experience.

First, a Bronx suggestion. Take the Metro North (the commuter train that leaves from Grand Central) to Fordham station. From there you walk approx. six blocks east to Arthur Avenue. This street is a much more charming "Little Italy" than the one in Manhattan. There are plenty of good restaurants, lots of interesting local shops and a fantastic market to get a feel for the neighborhood. Here is a suggestions for working it into a full day.

Start at Grand Central a spend time looking at the ceiling, admiring the architecture, and perhaps doing a tour. The train ride is 15/20 minutes to Fordham. Getting off you will see a wonderfully lively Dominican/Puerto Rican neighborhood concentrated on Fordham Avenue. The walk to Arthur Avenue is very safe as you are walking along the southern fringes of Fordham University. Have lunch on Arthur Avenue. Then walk back to Fordham University and walk up to the Botanical Gardens. The rest of the afternoon can be spent wandering the grounds there. You can then take the train straight from there to Grand Central at the end of the day. All of this could easily be stretched into a single day.

City Island is also an interesting experience, but I think a bit too far afield for people with limited time in NYC. To get there you take the 6 train all the way into the Bronx until the last stop and then you take a local bus (I don't know the number, a google search for City Island would turn that information up without too much trouble). City Island is famous because it looks like a New England fishing village, has lots of nice shops and good seafood. The problem is that it is pretty much a day of traveling for what amounts to a nice lunch.

In Brooklyn I suggest a combination Park Slope walking tour (a high end residental community with nice brownstones and some interesting antique shops), Prospect Park walk, Botantical Garden, Brooklyn Museam. That too could be stretched into a full day. I am not as well versed with that part of the city as I am the Bronx, but I am sure a search for "Park Slope" on here will lead you in the right direction. The basic idea is to take the subway into Park Slope, plan on having lunch at a restaurant there, then walk through Prospect Park to either the Botanical Garden or the Museam (depending on what you have already done/what your interests are). The subways back to Manhattan leave from the front of the museam.