Search

B&B's in Charleston

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B's in Charleston

Did a search but couldn't find any recent info on B&B, going for 2 nights in Dec, looking for something within walking distance to most sites as have never been here and want to see as much as possible, do not care about relaxing as have 7 other nites to relax at mother in laws. Also is Charlestown landing worth a visit,, if so how much time will it take, a day or a few hours.
Thanks for any info.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:58 AM

We stayed at the Andrew Pinckney Inn last July. Great downtown location--park the car and walk to everything. They serve breakfast on their rooftop terrace. Hank's resto is just next door (great food). Take the Gullah tour by Alfonso Brown (gullahtours.com). You'll see everything including a visit to Phillp Simmons studio (blacksmith artist). Unless you relish being "cheek to cheek" with strangers--avoid the carriage tours. There are so many great restaurants--visit the Pavilion Terrace for a drink at sunset. Don't know about Charleston landing--but Middleton Place is also worth a visit.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM

I used to live in downtown Chas. I would recommand the Anonsonbourgh Inn, Zero Water Street (can't beat the view of the harbor & Ft. Sumter), and if money is no object, Two Meeting Street is pure old Charleston. WWW.charlestonsfinest has a full listing of B&B's in Charleston.

Charlestown Landing just opened after a major renovation so I can't comment on the "new" Landing. I would leave that for another time. Middleton Place is very nice and has plenty of activities. The Pirate tour is interesting and takes you through the old cemeteries and neighborhoods. That is one of my favorite tours. A private carriage ride is the way to go. Some B&B's offer a carriage tour package. Otherwise, the carriage tours are a lottery and you don't know which part of town you will get.
For restaurants I would avoid Hyman's at all costs. The following spots are off the beat path and worth a try.
IL Cortile Del Re On King St. It is in an early 1800's house with a courtyard and serves authenic Italian food.
Jestine's Kitchen - Meeting St. breakfast
Sermets Corner- King St.
Fish-Upscale seafood not as crowded as Hank's
Cru Cafe on Pickney St. -Great for lunch
Vickory's on Shem Creek- all kinds of different food and a great view of the shrimping boats and harbor.
Sea Buiscut - On the Isle of Palms. An awesome little beach shack that serves outstanding breakfasts. Featured in Southern living.
If you make it out to the beaches, skip Folly beach and head to IOP or Sullivan's Island. On the way to Sullivan's Is., there is a part of mt. Pleasant called the Old Village. The houses date back to the late 1700's. Worth the drive around and make sure to stop at The Pitt St. Pharmacy. They still have wooden floors & even a soda jerk. You can get lunch there or next door at the Old Village Post House.

Out on Sullivan's, I would recommand Dunleavy's Pub, Off the Hook and Poe's. Edgar Allen Poe spent some time on the island and the restaurant is all about Poe.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
GoTravel

There are a kazillion B&Bs in Charleston at all price points. There aren't any bad or sub par B&Bs in downtown.

Firstly, what is your price point?

BTW, most inns in Charleston are so charming, you really don't need to stay in a B&B for the feel of a B&B.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, anywhere up to $200, but we will only be at the B&B to sleep, so location is more important than amenities. It doesn't have to be a B&B, but have never stayed in one and I've heard Charlestons' are the most charming.
They don't offer carriage rides you can pick where you want to go?
Thanks