Vermont, December, WITHOUT skiing

Nov 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Vermont, December, WITHOUT skiing

I'm looking for suggestions for a 3-day trip to Vermont in late December for a married couple who do NOT ski. We've been before (but not in December) - mostly in the Waterbury-Stowe-Montpelier areas. Any thoughts?
Nov 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
bm

What do you want to do? Shop? Skate? Snowshoe? Snowmobile?
Burlington is a fun small city with a good music scene, shopping, restaurants etc.
If you want a more "quaint" small village experience I'd head to Woodstock.
Nov 7th, 2010, 05:24 PM

Mountain Top Inn in Chittendon has sleigh rides, sledding, dog sledding, skating, views, and a good restaurant. (They do have x-country skiing and snow-shoeing too but you can skip it.) We had a very nice long weekend there without skiing.
Nov 8th, 2010, 03:47 AM

Much as Woodstock is not my favorite town in VT, the location is great and close enough to Hanover NH if you wanted to attend events there. (Always wanted to go to the Revels) I have also wanted to attend a sleigh rally held in Woodstock but they don't take place until January.
http://www.gmhainc.org/assets/files/...0Series(1).pdf

Check events at Billings Farm Museum.

I would explore an events calendar for VT to decide what area to choose. I like Brandon but it looks pretty quiet in late December. Burlington is a great suggestion.
Nov 8th, 2010, 01:20 PM

I have no specific ideas or suggestions, other than to say I lived in Vermont for years. I have never once gone downhill skiing!! I lived in Brattleboro, which is think is not as scenic as the towns further up into the state (north, northwest, or west).
Nov 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM

My 15 year old son who does not ski (he snowboards) suggests: skate, sleigh ride, snow shoe, snow golf, snowmobile, sauna, swim, shop and sleep.

Mark
Nov 9th, 2010, 03:21 AM

what ... a 15 yo who didn't mention EAT? You could explore the VT cheese trail, visit some wineries. Some artists have open studios. Some towns have nice galleries and shops (I like Brandon) DH likes stopping at the antique car place in southern VT. Hemings Motor News. If you bake/cook, visit King Arthur Flour in Norwich which is near Woodstock which is near Quechee - eat at Simon Pierce or simply explore the building (potters and glassblowers plus they generate their own hydro electric power). You could sneak over the border to Walpole NH to visit Burdick's for hot chocolate.

Figure what to do and then decide where to stay.
Nov 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM

The Vermont Attractions Assn has a very good website that will give you some ideas too for places like Ben & Jerry's and Cold Hollow Cider Mill in the Waterbury area plus others like VT Country Store that is within easy driving distance. www dot vtattractions dot org