Vermont Cheese

Jun 12th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Vermont Cheese

Hello All - my family will be traveling to Vermont in July. The family consists of myself, my wife, a 3 year old and a 6 month old. We will be staying in Stowe for a week. We are looking for dairies to visit. We had previously planned to go to Cabot however they no longer offer tours and instead provide a video. The more interactive the tour the better.

On that note, if there are any other foodie-friendly farms worth noting, please recommend them.

Thank you!
Jun 12th, 2018, 09:14 AM

There is cheesemKing at Shelburne Farms south of Burlington on Rt.7. It would be a wonderful place for you to take your children as they also have farm animals.
Jun 12th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

That is definitely on our list! It also happens to be fairly close to one of my favorite breweries in Fiddlehead!
Jun 12th, 2018, 01:28 PM
bm

Check out the Vermont Cheese Trail..might give you some ideas!
VERMONT CHEESE TRAIL ? Vermont Cheese Council
Jun 12th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Sorry--not familiar with Vermont map, but if you are ANYWHERE near King Arthur Flour--GOOOOOO!!! They offer classes on site. Their store is amazing. Go, just go.
Jun 13th, 2018, 07:05 AM

Near Woodstock are Billings Farm and Sugarbush Farm. The Calvin Coolidge historic village in Plymouth has a small cheesemaking operation.
Jun 14th, 2018, 05:33 AM

A day trip to take in a farmers market would give you a chance to try some cheese samples. There are several cheese vendors at the Norwich VT farmers market which is same town as King Arthur Flour. Your children are a little young for Montshire Museum but that's in Norwich, too. Stowe to Norwich is about 1 1/2 hours. Market is on Saturdays and they have music and general festive atmosphere. You can buy breakfast or lunch items or go over to King Arthur for their café. Woodstock is a bit further south. Montpelier farmers market would be closer but I've only been there once or twice. You might also want to visit a PYO strawberry place.
Jun 14th, 2018, 10:19 AM

Go to the Ben and Jerry's factory - there's plenty of cheese there, mostly in what they name the ice cream flavors . . .
Jun 17th, 2018, 02:53 PM

Jasper Hill Farm might offer a special tour when you are in VT

Not cheesemaking, but something your family might enjoy: If the weather is nice on the Wendesday of your vacation week you could consider going to a concert at the bandstand in Middlesex, VT, about a half hour from Stowe. The music is free and people bring picnics. The concerts are held in a field adjacent to the elementary school with plenty of room for kids to dance and run around. In years past food has been available from a vendor called Mediterranean Mix but I am not sure whether they will be selling at the concerts again this season.
Martha Pellerin & Andy Shapiro Memorial Bandstand

Search this Thread