Base Lodging in New Hampshire and Vermont

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan a 9 day vacation to NH and VT for the summer of 2018. We are a couple in our mid 50's, interested in history, wildlife, cover bridges and small town villages and of course history. We will be flying into NH and need suggestions on where we could base ourselves and tour each state without pulling up stakes each night. I'm thinking 4 nights in both states. Any suggestions on where to stay and itinerary would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 12:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Plymouth NH is pretty central and along I-93. 2 days north and east from there and 2 days south and west.
Cover anything you missed in NH on the way to Rutland Vermont.
While in Vermont cross over to Ticonderoga NY for some great history.
Be sure to stop at Ben & Jerry's for a tour of the ice cream factory.
Be sure to drive Kancamangus Highway (google it).
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 01:03 PM

I agree with the above for NH. The Plymouth area is centrally located - a quick drive to the White mountains, Canterbury Shaker Village (a must for history buffs), and the fun little city of Concord.
For Vermont, I would recommend some place like the Waitsfield-Warren area which is centrally located and close to the Calvin Coolidge historical site (another must for history buffs), Burlington and Woodstock.
Being near the interstates - I-93 in NH and I-89 in Vt, will allow you to easily get around. Driving the small back roads can be very beautiful, but slow going to cover long distances.
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 03:03 AM

I think Plymouth is too far north because I think you will want to visit Portsmouth NH for the Strawbery Banke area AND take a boat trip of either the harbor or inland rivers. Here are some of the places I think you should visit and get copies of the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer for NH and VT which will give you the location of covered bridges etc :
wildlife: Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness, visit Center Sandwich which Yankee magazine considers one of the prettiest little towns in NH and over to Tamworth for the Remick Museum (we have only walked the grounds not visited the museum but they seem to have a lot of interesting events there) This is a pretty full day and is actually close to Plymouth. You also don't have time to do a pontoon boat tour of Squam Lake which would focus on loons. I'm not a fan of the Kancamagus since I prefer the southern E/W route thru Center Sandwich and Tamworth. It's possible to do both in half a day if you are staying in Plymouth and don't spend much time in Conway/North Conway area

history: Canterbury Shaker Village will take half a day. Convenient to Concord. Canterbury itself is a pretty town with some local places you might want to visit such as the smoke house.

Another plus for Concord because it's the state capital with a nice downtown. You might want to visit nearby Warner which has the following small museums: Telephone Museum, Kearsarge Indian Museum, and local historical house plus a couple of small covered bridges. If you drive from Concord to Warner you go thru Hopkinton and Contoocook. Check to see what the Hopkinton Historical Society might have on display. Also, the state route pretty much parallels I89 so after visiting Warner you can get on I89 to head to VT

On you way to VT (from Concord) you could make a slight detour to visit The Fells (John Hay Estate. Make sure to take a tour.) If you have a lot of energy you could also tour St. Gaudens which is almost on the border of VT and near a very long covered bridge.

I would plan my visit to VT to include a Saturday so you can visit the Norwich Farmers Market, if anything, a chance to circulate among locals instead of other tourists. If you have any interest in baking, sign up for a class at King Arthur Flour in Norwich VT. Great shop and nice café if you don't want a class. Norwich would also be on your list of pretty little towns to visit.

You will be flying into MHT so ignore mapping software which will tell you to go I93 (if you are heading north). Choose the option to go I293 because it goes along the west side of the Merrimack River with a good view of the old mills. A lot of them are now offices, restaurants, science museum. etc. I293 will merge with I93 north of Manchester.

If you want to explore the White Mountains, Plymouth is probably a good choice but I think Concord gives you better access to the seacoast (Portsmouth) and some good spots to visit on way to VT. If you visit Warner, stop in the independent bookstore MainStreet Bookends and check out their small gallery. David Carroll's studio is in Warner and sometimes he has work on display. Famous author and artist of Year of the Turtle.

While in NH get a free copy of Hippo Press for local info and articles about what's going on. In summer you have the opportunity for a free evening outdoor concert in some towns (bring your own lawn chair).

Concord might be about an hour south of Plymouth and both are right off I93.

You might want to do some reading. My favorite VT book is The Town That Food Saved (Hardwick VT area) and for NH maybe Massacre on the Merrimack (story of Hannah Dustin's capture and escape from Indians).