Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Vermont In July w/ a 3 year old and 6 month old.

Vermont In July w/ a 3 year old and 6 month old.

Jan 15th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Vermont In July w/ a 3 year old and 6 month old.

Hello All,

My wife and I are looking for some ideas for a week-long trip in mid July with our 3 year old and 6 month old. We would like to do some outdoorsy stuff, but are also big foodies and I am a bigtime beer nerd. We are hoping to stay close to Burlington for these reasons. We are inclined to rent a place, but don't want to be directly in the city as we worry that won't afford much in the way of nature.

So far I have added a number of breweries to my list of things to do, but am at a loss for things outside of brewery visits. Any and all ideas and thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Jan 15th, 2018, 01:44 PM

Food reviews and just an all around good website:
https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...ortType=rating
Jan 16th, 2018, 09:47 AM

Norwich has the Montshire Museum which the 3 year old might enjoy. You should visit King Arthur Flour. Probably can't do a class because of the children but you are sure to find some great cooking supplies and tools. Nice bakery and good café. You can eat indoors or out. The Norwich Farmers Market on Saturdays is great. There's a central area where they have music and people can sit on the grass and listen. Nice variety of prepared food too so expect to be able to buy some goodies for breakfast or lunch. Check out beer selection at Norwich Inn. I was in Burlington last fall and forget the name of an ice cream window/deli with a deck that looks out on Champlain. It was very popular place to hang out in the evenings.
Check out library story hours. We used to do that even while traveling at a quiet time.
If you google Vermont Swimming Holes you might be able to find a family friendly place with a sandy area safe for very young children. We picnicked at Bristol Falls and enjoyed watching the swimmers. Nice shady area overlooking the waterfall area but this is not a safe area for young children. What would probably be ideal is an air b&b that would allow you to fill a dish pan with water outdoors and let your 3 yo play with some plastic toys while you enjoy some quiet time. There is outdoor water play at the Montshire Museum but I think 3 years might be a little young. Check Vermont State Parks with swimming area. One of our most unusual pizza dinners was in Charlotte, south of Burlington where a farm had a pizza oven and bakery on site but only served pizza a few evenings each week/Pizza on Earth. It's been a few years but I recall a couple of outdoor tables (and chickens running around).
Jan 18th, 2018, 09:01 AM
bm

Shelburne Farms with the kids for sure.

http://shelburnefarms.org/
Jan 20th, 2018, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I will likely have more questions as the vacation gets closer.
Feb 2nd, 2018, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

We decided on Topnotch resort and spa in Stowe. What are your favorite things to do in Stowe?
Feb 2nd, 2018, 06:35 AM

Beer

https://alchemistbeer.com

Heady Topper is legendery.
Feb 2nd, 2018, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Inakauaidavidababy View Post
Beer

https://alchemistbeer.com

Heady Topper is legendery.
Of course! We are 5 minutes from their new place!! We will also be going to Hill Farmstead, Second Fiddle and Foam brewing.
Feb 2nd, 2018, 10:37 AM
bm

Lots of great breweries in and around Stowe in addition to The Alchemist (I find their beer overrated IMO). Trapp Bier Hall/Brewery has good food/beer. Idyltime is also in Stowe. Just north in Morrisville is Rock Art, Ten Bends, and Lost Nation. Hill Farmstead is a must. LOVE Fiddlehead. Their IPA is my favorite. Try to find some Sip of Sunshine by Lawsons and do a side-by-side with Heady. My spouse thinks Sip is better. When you go to the Burlington area to try Foam & Fiddlehead also hit up Citizen Cider, Zero Gravity, Switchback, Queen City Brewing, and Burlington Beer Co. You can also go down to Waterbury for Prohibition Pig. Across the street is Craft Beer Cellar.
For things to do in Stowe...the rec path is great for biking/walking. Hike in to Moss Glen Falls (short & easy) off Route 100 north of Stowe. Drive to the top of Mt. Mansfield and then walk the ridge. Take a ride on the gondola. Do go to Shelburne Farms in Shelburne with the kids. If there is a rainy day you can take them to ECHO in Burlington.
Feb 3rd, 2018, 09:02 AM

The Cabot cheese factory is east of Stowe. They have a nice little tour.

Take a drive up through Smuggler's Notch. Very pretty and hairpin turn will be fun.

Search this Thread