Ventana Canyon-Sabino Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at renting a Ventana Canyon Condo from 12/25-1/1. We have heard that Sabino Canyon is where we want to be. We have also heard that everything is 20minutes to get to in the Tucson area. Is Ventana Canyon a good place to be-is Sabino near or far--should be try to be there? What are the most desirable areas to stay in--we like to hike, bike, horseback ride.
We are 2 parents of a 15 yr old and a 12 yr old. And have a teacher from the Czech Republic to show off America....She really
is outdoorsy....We love secret local kinds of info---
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 06:14 PM

If you want hiking and the scenic desert, Ventana is a good place to start. However, I have lived here most of my life, and in reality, nothing is just twenty minutes away. Tucson is a very spread out city, and unfortunately, a city with a LOT of road constuction. If you want to horse back ride, Westward Look resort is another good place.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Well, our neighbor has stayed at Westward Resort--recommends it and has kids like ours. She also said that travel time is an issue--dang...A few years ago we drove forever to Tonto Nat Park from Phoenix--it took forever and the ride was frightening--dirt roads with dangerous drop offs to nowhere--but Tonto was spectaular and tonight my husband said he'd go again.
On another note: I am a little put off by all the gated communities for my rental home pursuit--why is everything so set-up, gated, community,etc....we just don't do that in the mid west....I am still hoping that when if the location allows for walks right our into the foothills, it will have a rusticness that we want. This is why we avoid resorts--as such--and to cook our own food....
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:57 PM

I believe Ventana is a gated community, call to check. Did you check out the Westward look? I thought they had seperate lodging. Another fantastic spot is the Tanque Verde Guest Ranch. You will be away from the city, but if you want rustic this is another great place.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

I have looked at the Westward Look--all I see on the website is resort rooms or suites--but we are a party of 5 and the suites really aren't suitable. I am negotiating for a vacation condo next door to Loews Ventana Canyon Resort--or a home in the Arizona National Golf Resort--we
are not thinking being on a golf course is what we want exactly--but the
location seems close to Sabino Canyon.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Sabino Canyon is only a 5 min. drive from Ventana, I think it's only a mile. We have stayed at the Loews Ventana and loved it. Many good restaurants are within a 10 min. drive also! There is a small fee to park at Sabino, though. Also right from the Ventana condos is a trailhead for Ventana canyon, VERY pretty, but major uphill. A warning about Arizona hiking, the trails are VERY rocky. Gorgeous, but makes for rather slow going. There is also lovely hiking in both sections of the Saguaro Natl. Park. Enjoy this area of Arizona, it is spectacular! Also, it's a nice drive up to Mt. Lemmon, although it will be snowy in Dec.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 05:32 PM

if i'm not mistaken, Arizona national is on the west side of town, not near sabino canyon. However, the west side has saguaro national monument and the desert museum.
If you like birdig, consider taking a drive down to Patagonia and stroll/hike near the stream and watch for a variety of birds.
Ventana Canyon area is very much a resort and not rustic; that said, however, it is truly a beautiful area.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 06:23 PM

There is a east and west Saguaro National monument. The east one is by Colossal Cave.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

We will be at Ventana Canyon Condo with a private rental. I think it will suit us --with a trail head there--we can handle the upward climbs--and the rocks--we hiked 7000 ft high Harney Peak in the Black Hills 2 weeks ago. It was hard--but the view was worth it and felt that we earned our dinner.
To you natives--the weather reads as high average is 66 the last week of Dec--what should we expect?--what can we expect--we are coming from heavy winter in Minneapolis....And tell us your favorite Mexican restaurant. restaurants..Woul
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:06 AM

In the winter you will find a mixture of what peoplwe are wear. People who have been here a long time will have coats and sweaters on at 66 degrees. People who are used to the cold weather will be walking around with shorts and t-shirts on.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:40 PM

I apologize on my last comment. That will teach me to respond to a message at 7:00 in the morning.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:58 PM

No apology necessary. I've lived in Phoenix since 1989, and I agree with every word you said!