Phoenix to the Grand Canyon in February

Old Dec 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix to the Grand Canyon in February

We (husband and 10 yr old) would like to see the Grand Canyon this February. We would fly from Providence to Phoenix and then take a tour (?) or drive to Grand Canyon. We would also like to visit friends in Santa Ana, CA for a few days, so we'll fly from Phoenix to Orange County and fly out of Orange to Providence. I need advice/tips on the stay in Phx and GC. We like the outdoors but hate driving -- any recommendations? thx
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Realize that weather can be very iffy at this time of year. However, snow can make it even more beautiful. I would not go on a tour. Getting to the GC does require some boring driving. You could see Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, and Crater National Monument on your way. Grand Canyon is great, but can be boring for a 10 year old after only a few minutes. I would certainly hike down a little way into the canyon. You might need crampons due to icing. National Parks are Fantastic. My daughter and I rafted the Grand Canyon when she was 12.

If I were going to Santa Ana, I would probably just fly there, rent a car, and see Sequoia National Park and Joshua Tree. Sequoia NP is fantastic in the winter. You would want to have tire chains and possibly a 4 wheel drive.

If you do go to GC, splurge and take a helicopter tour.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM

You don't need to take a tour to see the Grand Canyon. It's about a 4 hour drive in normal weather conditions. Allow more if it is stormy.

Remember, the Grand Canyon south rim is at 7000 ft elevation, so snow is certainly possible and you will need to dress appropriately.

Maybe consider visiting Tucson rather than Sequoia (which will also be very snowy in February) Lots to see in Tucson, too.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 06:21 AM
TC

We have done this drive one April. It is beautiful. We spent a few nights on the road and made a circular trip. The first night out we stayed in Sedona - lots to see there. The second night we were at the south rim of the Canyon and stayed in the cabins at Bright Angel Lodge. From there we went on to Monument Valley and stayed one night on the ranch there and finally circled back around to spend our last night on the Hopi reservation before making our way back to Phoenix. It was a wonderful trip. Not too much driving in any one day before we had made our destination and got into the activities. The guide I used to plan the entire trip is the Arizona II Guide (see link below). Its an old book, now out of print, but is wonderful in that it is all about driving AZ. There are exact trips of 1-2-3 day durations that all start and end in PHX. The guide gives specific driving directions and ideas for things to see and do along the way.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Arizona...=3S866YPR5IEG5

Bright Angel Lodge/Cabins:
http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/bri...lodge-408.html

The View Hotel- Monument Valley:
http://www.monumentvalleyview.com/

Hopi Culture Center and Inn:
http://www.hopiculturalcenter.com/?1e70fa40
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 10:21 AM

We planned this trip one February but never made it to the Grand Canyon. Snow blocked the road to the Canyon. We ended up staying an extra 2 nights in Sedona at the Enchantment Resort which had a really great special rate in Feb. We got the room with the Murphy bed, kitchen, living area and huge patio. The resort is located in Boynton Canyon and you would think that you are in the midst of a national park. The location is fabulous.

We returned the next year, the last week in March and actually had snow on our drive into the Grand Canyon but great weather the rest of the trip. We stopped for lunch in Sedona and then headed to the Grand Canyon.

When you say you hate driving, how much driving do you hate to do?
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great advice. I like the idea of staying in Sedona at the Enchantment resort and checking out the Grand Canyon the next day if weather allows. We may end up skipping Phoenix altogether and fly directly to Orange County (Dana Point). I remember driving to Joshua Tree from Dana Point years ago and I think it was about 4 hours ... does that sound right? With regard to driving, I really do hate it, and can last about 4 hours tops in a car but would prefer less. If we skip Phoenix altogether and just go to Orange County, any other suggestions? thx