Search

Vegas Hotel Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:19 AM
Chris

Vegas Hotel Help

I'm just looking for advice as to the best hotel in my budget range. i'm planning a trip with my girlfriend we are both mid twenties and i am planning to spend around 8-900$ for airfare and three nights. Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 11:29 AM
Susan

Chris, we don't know where you are flying from so can't help you with airfare. But I booked a room at the Venetian through hotwire.com for about $140 per night and it was a fabulous room. If you can get airfare for $100 each you'll be in under budget. Also, through priceline you can get good deals. Have a look at biddingfortravel.com for more info on priceline.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 10:22 PM
thereuare

I would caution using Priceline for a first trip to Vegas as you want to be on the main part of the strip, and you can't guarantee this with either Priceline or Hotwire, as both of their "Strip Zones" contain hotels that are off the stip.

If you figure out your airfare and report back as to your hotel budget, and what days of the week you will be there (as Sun-Thur is less than half of Fri-Sat) i can recommend a few hotels within your budget.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:35 AM
xxx

Check quikbook for hotels.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:39 AM
alexis

depending when you are going, the hotels always offer GREAT deals. just sign up on multiple hotel web sites to receive specials. I get them almost everyday for MGM, Venetian, Paris, Alladin, caesars, NY NY, Mirage and Luxor- and sometimes during the week yyou are looking at rates of like 69 dollars.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:39 AM
XXX

Hate to be a smart aleck, but when I read this post, it made me want to respond. "I'm going somewhere from here" How much will it cost..

Troll perhaps...

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Chris

sorry about the confusion around my earlier post. I am flying out of either New York or Boston, wherever i get a cheaper flight. I'm expecting my hotel budget to be around 600$ for three nights. It might be during a weekend.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Mike

Weekend could be tough. It all depends EXACTLY which dates you are going. I've stayed at Mandalay for $79 one night and the night night was $499. You WILL be able to stay in Vegas fon your budget but you will have to do the research to find out where.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:19 AM
thereuare

I just returned from Vegas, departing from NYC. Airfare for non-stop flights ranged from a low of $178 to a high of $315 in the few weeks i monitired it. I think $300 is the high end of the range and would be prepared to take anything in the $225 range that fits your schedule.

Here's my hotel opinions:
Mandalay Bay or The Palms: both are "young" peoples hotels within your age group, but for your first trip to Vegas i would prefer to be centrally located on the trip, of which neither of these are. Do visit one of these at nite if you're interested in the club scene (as well as The Rio and/or Hard Rock), but i wouldn't stay here if you're intending to "see the sights" as it's a hassle to get to the strip

The Mirage- a more diverse crowd than the above 2 (in that they're will be some older people along with some of your peers) and represents a GREAT place with a GREAT location and a GREAT pool (but don't know if it'll be warm enough to go swimming if you're trip is not too soon)

Paris- another great choice of a high end hotel with an excellent location

Bally's- offers a spacious room in an old Vegas favorite. A step below the above places, but a super location on the strip and will be well within your budget to save some money for other things

NewYork NewYork- nice enough, but as you're from the NY area (as i am) you may find it a little too "Disney-esqe"

More budget minded but perfectly acceptable (in order of "niceness" but all are fine):
Aladdin
Treasure Island
Flamingo
Harrah's

Rates fluctuate dramatically in short period of time, so keep checking back for lower rates after you book (at the hotel you booked as well as other options). Vegas is the one place i won't take the cheapest rate too far in advance if it comes with a penalty for changing reservation, as the rates change so often!

Best place for rates is just about anywhere: Orbitz, Expedia, Hotel Website, Calling Hotel, Quickbook, etc

Amex usually has a special rate at Paris, Bally's, and Flamingo which is very competitive, but also changes quickly has they book/cancel rooms. Can usually find the rate at Orbitz or calling the hotel direct, but must pay with American Express card.

As an example, i originally booked Bally's at $131/nite with the intention of cancelling as we got closer and rebooking with Quickbook at $119/nite. While i waited, i saw the rate at Bally's jump to over $200/nite. However, in the meantime i found Harrah's at $89/nite for the weekend nites and $49 for Sunday nite, so i cancelled Bally's and took Harrah's. The day before i was to leave, the Sun rate went down to $39/nite so i called and had them honor that rate for the Sunday.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Chris

Thank you very much for all your help.
i'll definitly check all of your suggestions, and report back anything worth note.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 07:50 AM
cookie

Chris

We are flying from Detroit paying $179 per ticket for airfare on ATA airlines.
Also the Aladdin has some good rates under $100 a night. Call 1-877-333-9474 the hotel and see what rates they have for a standard room. Beautiful hotel with very nice rooms. You can request a free upgrade to a resort room when you arrive.
Good luck & let us know what you decide!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 07:58 AM
cookie

Chis

Oops I forgot to tell you that we got that airfare on www.funjet.com I know they have flights from New York too. You may want to check out there website. Click on reservations and enter your dates. This way you'll get a price. They also have air/hotel packages to Vegas. It just worked out cheaper for us doing them seperatley.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 10:19 AM
vegas

I'd recommmend Treasure Island. Really good hotel rates, good location, nice rooms, etc.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 03:29 PM
sandi

our first trip to vagas was in may, stayed in a jacuzzi room at luxor. got special weekday rates of $129 on expedia, but keep looking and call. this room was huge ($250 a nt on weekends), 2 tvs, large sitting room, gigantic bathroom. we would walk all day and hit the hot tub at night. life saver and fun.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Chris

thanks again for all the help.
i'm about ready to book.
for flight from new york and a deluxe room at the Luxor hotel for three nights over a weekend is about 900 for the two of us. this seems pretty reasonable, considering i'm going during a long weekend, and the hotel seems pretty nice.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:59 AM
me

Lots depends on when you go. Room rates on the weekend are much more expensive then on the weekdays. Priceline is nearly impossible for weekend dates. You should check the various bookig website, the hotel websites and also call the hotels. Prices change regularly and vary from site to site.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:44 AM
me

Leaving from Boston, check out flights out of Manchester, NH or Providence, RI. America West has nonstops out of Boston and Southwest Air will connect from Manchester and Providence. Check out these tour operators also: Funjet Vacations, Southwest Air Vacations, Delta Vacations, GoGo Vacations. All 4 are dotcoms also.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:39 PM
SA

Mandalay Bay will be ideal for your ages or perhaps The Hard Rock. The cost will depend on where & when but if during the week should be no problem.