Vail/Eagle Airport

May 19th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Vail/Eagle Airport

Would love to hear from anyone who has flown to this airport. Is it one of those white knuckle landings...bumping and sort of dropping in between close mountain ranges...GULP??!!! I'm considering flying to Denver and driving the 2 hours to Beaver Creek...but then again, the semi's on that route...thanks.
May 19th, 2005, 12:24 PM

You need to check what the airline is flying. In the winter, there are large 125-150 pax jets. The airport is actually in Eagle/Gypsum - large wide valley. Its a steep incline/decline but not particularly scary.

Now the Nantucket flight from Hyannis last week - 4 people, 2 dogs, lots of fog and rain...truly a white knuckler!
May 19th, 2005, 01:39 PM

What time of year? The drive usually isn't that bad.
May 19th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Flew in and out this past Jan/Feb. Definitely NOT a white knuckle landing-very normal. You didn't say what time of year your plans are for. Our problem was that, on the day we left, a snowstorm blew up and, bcs it's a one runway airport in the mts., no flights were landing or taking off so we were delayed several hours and missed our connection in ORD. Terminal is very small. You get on and off the plane via an old fashioned staircase and walk across the tarmac. Bcs so many folks were delayed, the terminal was jammed, packed with little kids lieing all over the floor, etc., one awful food place. Ugh!

Next year, we have decided to fly into DIA and drive, only bcs it's rarer for that airport to be shutdown but no guarantees. Drive isn't too bad but if tunnel is closed, we will overnight at a DIA hotel. If I were going in a non-winter season, I would definitely use Eagle. Otherwise, it's a toss-up but not bcs of the landing.
May 19th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. Sorry I didn't mention the time, I will be flying there at the end of July.
May 20th, 2005, 03:40 AM

If you get a good fare, it is fine. The 2 hour drive from DIA to BC is easy and quick. Are you doing without a car for the time you are there?
Jun 1st, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Again thanks everyone for responding to my question. We booked a flight into Vail, and are staying at the Ritz in Beaver Creek (a meeting). We've been in that area several times and have always enjoyed it. This will be our first stay at the Ritz. We haven't rented a car yet and haven't even checked into the possiblity of doing that at the Vail/Eagle airport. But, several of the people with us will have a car, so any suggestions about "must sees or places to eat or have a drink" would be great. We like all kinds of food and of course the beautiful scenery in that part of the country.