New Orleans with 14 year old?

May 28th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

New Orleans with 14 year old?

I am planning a week long timeshare exchange to the FQ New Orleans with my 14 year daughter for . A co-worker told me it isn't a good place to take her. I'd like opinions. My daughter loved Savannah and I was kind of picturing something similar.
May 28th, 2005, 04:33 AM

My friend and I took our 12 year old girls to the FQ in October and we had the same warnings before we went. We were a little concerned before we went, but we were very glad we went anyways! If you do a search in this forum for "New Orleans French Quarter Trip Report" you will find our trip report and a photo link. Honestly, the first day we were there, we were tired and hot (luggage didn't come right away and we were WAY overdressed)and stayed mostly on Bourbon Street. By dinner I wanted to go home. We started fresh in the morning with a FQ walking tour and got off the beaten path and found how lovely the rest of the area is. We had a wonderful rest of the trip. Not sure how it compares to Savannah (never been there) but there is a lot of stuff to do in NO without the nightlife! The tips I had from this board really helped me plan, so you are starting in the right place. Have a GREAT time, and post a report when you get back!
May 28th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Oh, one other tip...if you click on my name, it will pull up my old posts requesting help for my planning of my trip, you can find some tips there also.
May 28th, 2005, 05:43 AM

There's a decent zoo, if you like zoos, nice aquarium, IMAX, house tours, etc. I would find it a wonderful place for a family vacation. If you're going in the summer, it sure will be hot. Hope the timeshare has a pool!
May 28th, 2005, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Loangalsal I enjoyed the trip report. Dreamer we would be there at the end of March. I thought my post didn't take, it was supposed to be in the Louisiana section. I'm glad to hear its fine to take her.
May 28th, 2005, 09:21 AM

We live in Baton Rouge and visit New Orleans often with our 15 year old daughter. As previously mentioned, she always enjoys the Aquarium/IMAX theater located in the quarter. Do ride the streetcar along St. Charles Avenue and stop to eat at Camellia Grill. The end of March will be beautiful and cool with azaleas in full bloom. My daughter loves to shop in New Orleans, especially along the river in the Quarter and Magazine Street. While on Magazine, make an appointment for her at Bella Bella (voted best day spa in NO) and round the corner from Commander's Palace. I'm sure she would love a facial, manicure and pedicure. There are also cemetary and walking tours in this area of St. Charles/Washington Ave/Magazine Street. I don't know where you are from but we always stop at Whole Foods for lunch, located further out Magazine. If you have a car, this would be no problem. A car would also allow you to travel north on I-l0 toward Baton Rouge. If she loved Savannah, she would enjoy the plantations along the River Road between NO and BR. We also have a fabulous swamp/alligator tour right outside of BR - Alligator Bayou Swamp Tours. I'll be happy to make other recommendations if you need more information. Oh, and as loangalsal said, do avoid Bourbon Street. In the Quarter, hang out around Jackson Square, Royal Street, the River Walk and the Flea Market at the French Market. New Orleans is a very special place. You both will fall in love with it.
May 28th, 2005, 09:24 AM

There is NO Louisiana "section". You choose a state when you start the post as a key field for screening. The posts go to one central board. But you wisely put your destination in the title.

As far as New Orleans as a suitable place for kids-- many people will be surprised to find out that people live there, work there and (SHOCKING!) raise kids there. They all know that Mardi Gras turns the Quarter into a free-for-all, and they generally keep the tykes away the closer it gets to Shrove Tuesday. But the rest of the year, it's fine. Look, parts of the Quarter get too wild for adults, and you avoid them (unless, like me, that's the way you like it!). The rest is fine. My mom has been threatening to spend her winters in the Quarter with a niece-- and I wouldn't worry too much (she's 71, but she went to secretarial school in NO as a young lady, knows the area well and just wants a warm winter place with some fun bars...). You'll have a great time.
May 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM

I've been visiting the Quarter since I was 10, and two years ago my husband I took his 13-year old granddaughter for her birthday. She still raves about the trip--I wrote up a trip report here back in November 2004 that you can search for if you'd like.

She loved sampling all of the different foods not readily found here in New England--lots of seafood, rich Creole, grits, even alligator--and loved it all. She also loves jazz, so we took advantage of a couple local venues.

It's a wonderful city for kids of all ages, so please feel comfortable with your 14 year old--and be sure to do a lot of walking to combat all of the wonderful and rich foods that the city has to offer!
May 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I lived in New Orleans through 4th grade and loved it so much I go back every chance I get! When I was in high school in Ohio I got to go march in Mardi Gras parades in the band. New Orleans is a great city for all ages. I always think it's a shame that is seems to be the seedier qualities it is best known for. Have a great time!!

BTW, I've been to Savannah and while it is similar to NO in that it is full of history, beautiful achitecture and charm; I think NO has a much bigger city feel.
May 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Wow thank you for all the speedy replies! Now I want to go tomorrow
May 28th, 2005, 08:20 PM

I grew up in the Quarter & never understood why people were so afraid of it. My daughter is now 18 & it is 1 of her favorite places. When she was 16 I took her & 2 friends to spend the day in the Quarter. They did the flea market, psychic reading (a hoot!!) & a caricature of the 3 of them from a Jackson Square artist. Her other favorite place is Magazine St. She loves to shop there for vintage clothes & shoes. In fact, her birthday is in June & she has asked to have us spend the day on Magazine St with lunch at Mona's & a stop at Whole Foods for snacks.

If you give us some idea of your daughter's interests then we might be able to suggest some things for her to think about doing. There is food here for just about every taste. My daughter is vegetarian & still can pig out.

Have a great time!
May 29th, 2005, 12:12 AM

This is all good and well, but I must report that I saw the most curious thing in New Orleans during Jazz Fest last month that I've never seen before.
On Canal Street near some large well-known hotels, there were prostitutes - not dressed in the stereotypical attire - and their pimps were playing chess on a roll-up chess board atop a folding card table right there on the sidewalk.
Later, a taxi driver confirmed that the prostitutes there wear more clothing than most of the visitors.
It's just that certain look when your eyes meet theirs that sets them apart from the crowd.

If a parent with a teenage daughter treats NOLA as just another city with bars in a concentrated area, there's plenty to do without finding trouble.
May 29th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

She's not 14 yet but would be for the trip. She likes history, theater, spooky things, shopping, adventures in general. She's fairly well traveled for her age. She's been to Washington DC, Williamsurg, Orlando, California, Hawaii, London, Scotland twice. Her favorite was Scotland. She thrives on historical places. She's familiar with big cities because we only live an hour from Chicago and spend weekends there often.
May 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I've read about Segway tours in NO. They sound like alot of fun!

My best friend still talks about a walking cemetary tour she did about 15 years ago!
May 29th, 2005, 07:10 AM

I agree with the things every one has said so far. I would absolutely take a 14 year old to New Orleans - esspecially if she loves history.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet are the carriage rides. We took one in the French Quarter, and it was a lot of fun. It was kind of pricey, but we thought it was worth it. Our driver was great - told us all kinds of tall tales about the city.
May 29th, 2005, 11:18 AM

We went with our kids and had a very nice time. We took a river boat dinner cruise, loved the aquarium & IMAX. We had lunch at Planet Hollywood and did a weeknight dinner at Micheal's on St. Charles (Zydeco music & dancing -- fun). We rode got the bus & trolley pass and enjoyed that. Oh - and we enjoyed the Jean Lefete (spelling?) swamp boat tour. We went across the Lake Ponchetrain (again, I apologize for the spelling) causeway and ate in Mandeville. And we loved getting benets at the Cafe DuMonde. We planned to do a cemetery tour but with 110 heat index, we opted out. It was a fantastic experience.
May 31st, 2005, 02:11 PM

OK, everyone has given some great ideas of what to do there DURING THE DAY, but what about at night?? Where are you supposed to take a 14 year old at night?? Bourbon St.?....which seems to be the only thing to do at night in N.O. I'm just wondering what there is to do at night if you bring a child or an entire family.
May 31st, 2005, 06:17 PM

Dinner? Jazz?
May 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM

Other than dinner of course! And where else can you find good jazz besides the FQ??
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:14 AM

Well, what did y'all do in Savannah at night?

Perhaps a night walking tour?
Perhaps a play or musical theatre (did this with nephew in Charleston).
Perhaps a regular ole movie?
Perhaps card or board games at the timeshare?
Perhaps a day trip out to the countryside?
Perhaps just take-out and TV one night.
Those are 6 ideas (6 nights)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO