changing planes in PHL

Search

changing planes in PHL

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing planes in PHL

My friend and I are considering booking an overseas vacation through US Airways. But before we call US with the other questions we have (logistics of reservations and hotel) I would like some thoughts about connecting at PHL. I know that there have been some baggage fiascos in the past, but if I choose US I might have no choice but to connect there. A $1600 11 day trip to London w/airfare and hotel seems worth the price.

Any thoughts on connecting in PHL?
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:44 AM

I don't think its significantly different than any other bigger airport. If the weather is ok and the computer systems are working, its easy. They have moving walkways between the terminals and its easy to navigate.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. That is what I figured. The problems with US in PHL and baggage have taken place in the Winter. We will be going in the Summer.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:13 AM

I think changing planes in PHL is the least of your worries with US...
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:35 PM

PHL is my home airport and I would not recommend connecting through it. The slightest bit of weather (in summer, thunderstorms can be a problem) brings them down to a single-runway operation, resulting in significant delays.

I would suggest one of two options. If US Airways is still the way you want to go, see if you can connect in CLT - much better airport and tends to be less of an issue with delays. If you must connect through PHL, I would allow 2 1/2 - 3 hours connect time for an international flight.
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. I was already planning 2-3 hours of connection time regardless of PHL, CLT, or some other airport. It's just me being cautious.

I've never been through PHL before, and if we decide to use US Airways a second time to another European destination, we will have to use it eventually.

Is there any difference between traveling to Europe via PHL and returning? I suppose one possible itenerary would have us leaving via CLT and returning via PHL.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM

The main difference on returning - and this is true not just of PHL, but any airport - is that you have to allow even more time because of Passport control. You will claim your checked luggage, go through immigration, and then re-check your luggage. You will then have to go back through security. Additionally, at PHL, international flights arrive at the A-West Terminal. If you are connecting on a domestic flight, you will have about a 10 minute walk to the B/C concourse. If the flight is an Express flight, you will have to get to the F terminal, there is a shuttle directly from A West and the ride takes 5-7 minutes.
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Yes, allow plenty of time in Philadelphia. Just returned from Rome there Thursday. The problem was the departure from Myrtle Beach flight 1 hour late departing. Pilot calling to please get a plane there. I get to CLT to make the flight there to Rome, and the pilot has pulled away from the gate early with my daughter explaining I was to get on that plane. Customer service got me on a later flight and I only made my connecting flight because of a wonderful flight attendant, Lorana Haas, who asked a man to exchange seats with me as he was in the front. Rushed off the plane to barely make the gate to the Rome flight. Returning out of Milan over an hour late on departure. Only because that plane was 1 hour late taking off from Philadelphia was I able to get through customs, etc. So many planes on that 1 runway quite a while before actual takeoff. I have flown US Air at least 6 times internationally and often here in the states and never have I run into such problems. others are telling me it is not just US Air with these problems.
To me it is such a waste of time to go through security in Philadelphia when you have just been through all of that in the country(Milan in my case) just departed from. How could you possibly get off in midair??
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM

maryanne1 - You always have to go through security if you arrive from an international flight to the US and then connect to domestic. It's because you need to claim bags to go through immigration/customs, and you have access to stuff in your suitcase things that cannot be carried on.

It's the same way at all US airports, long before 9/11.
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Yes, I realize that as I have traveled long before 9/11. If there was someway people with close connecting flights could get up near the first of the line it would make things alot better. We asked at least 5 people to give us a ride to get through and they were not helpful. I found CLT and Milano air personnel much more helpful than in Philadelphia.
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:45 AM

Most people coming into PHL on an international flight are connecting themselves. If you have a tight connection, so do they. It's just a fact of travel these days, and if you miss the connection flight, you miss the connection. USAirways will put you on the next one.
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Only answering the original question. There is no excuse for a pilot taking off before the scheduled time which he did as my daughter was on that flight. She said 1 man knocked on the door to get in after the doors were closed.
I think things need to be improved there.
I flew this same flight to Rome just over a year ago. Guess I was lucky that time.
Old May 20th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Does US Airways operate international flights from Charlotte to Rome?

I am considering going to Rome two summers from now--and if they offered that flight I would gladly take it over the horrors that PHL is sounding to be.
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:04 AM

No direct flights on US Air from CLT to Rome. Maybe in the future it might happen. Other airlines may have direct flights . I have not checked on that.