Question about George Bush Airport (IAH) in Houston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into here from Detroit in February to connect and fly onto Mexico. We have the choice of a 45 connection stop here or a 3+ hour connection. Obviously I would prefer the 45 min. stop but is that enough for our luggage to get onto next aircraft and for us to catch our next flight? Both flights would be on Continental Airlines. Would you chance it?
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I had a 45 minute connection at IAH in January and made it, even with having to change terminals. We got on one of the golf carts which took us on a several minute drive to where we had to catch a shuttle to get to the other terminal. It probably took 25 minutes to do this and I remember running part of the way. Of course when we got to the connecting gate our flight was delayed and we ended up having plenty of time to eat lunch! You never know how it will work, but if you do go with the 45 minute connection, be sure to take advantage of the golf cart shuttles as the distance between gates can be huge. Good luck!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I would never chance a connection like that in any airport for any flight, but esp b/c of the unknown weather factor at that time of year in MI. However, maybe I should preface my remarks by saying that my nickname among family and co-workers is Ms. Worse-Case-Scenario!! But seriously, it would not be worth it to me to have to be worrying about my connection. The fact that you are considering it means that you must you have a higher tolerance for uncertainty, so only you can make the call!!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:03 AM

PS--since someone resurrected your old thread about a cold and going to Spain, what *did* you do, and did it work??
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Hi Canuck, I am not sure if I would chance the 45 min. You are changing from a US flight to the International part of the airport. Even though they are both Continental, I don't think they are in the same terminal. Also depending on Houston weather (& Detroit weather) in Feb. delays can be often (due to rainstorms in Houston) and you could miss your flight. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 08:08 AM

If you are flying into terminal E, the three hour stop won't be so bad. There are now some terrific restaurants there. You could board the plane with a full tummy and turn your nose at the bad food offered to you on board! I love Pappadeaux's Seafood and Pappasito's.

http://iah.houstonairportsystem.org/...erminal=e#food

If you do opt for the shorter connection time, ask for a cart to play it safe.

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 09:11 AM

I connect through IAH all the time, and 45 is eminently doable. CO has put a lot of thought and $ into making their home airport workable. There are "shortcut" walkways, trams between terminals - even buses in some instances - that let you stay in the secure area and avoid having to re-clear security. You may not have time to stop and shop at duty free, but you should be able to make your connection. And in the worst case scenario, if there were a delay that made you miss the connection, there is always the next one.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Hi Seamus--not if the next flt is full!!I think Canuck may be referring to a flt to what I assume to be a Carribbean destination *in* season...I bow to your firsthand knowledge of the airport in question, but I still would not risk my vacation becoming stressful right up front....
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 09:42 AM

canuck,
Weather related delays leaving Detroit in Feb might be an issue.
Continental has very disbursed gates at IAH and one can get exhausted with lots of carry on lugage.
We take Con from DAL and have to get the train and then walk about 1/2 mile to the BJX gate.
Returning is even worse as you have to clear US customs at IAH and it always seems that all of the international flights arrive simultaneously, so the baggage unloading takes forever and the customs folks are overwhelmed.
M
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Before making a decision I would

1) check how full the next flights are - to see if you have a realistic option of getting one of the latter ones if your first flight is late

2) ask Continental their policy if you miss the second flight (who do you have to get behind - or in front of - in line)

Also - how many of you are there? It's considerably easier to rebook 2 seats on the same later flight than 3/4 or more.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Good points, nyt, but even if flts are not full now, that is no indication of what they will be like come February of next year. So your follow up points are completely dependent on how full the flts are. All the way around, I would opt for the 3 hr layover.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Where are you flying to in Mexico? CO flies to many secondary airports in Mexico using the ERJ (Embraer regional jet), and they depart from Terminal B. Other mainline flights will fly out from C or E.

Your Detroit flight comes in at either C or E.

If you're indeed flying out of B, then it will be tight, as you need to take a train to Terminal B. A cart will only help you a little; and it can be quite a walk from the train stop at B to the actual gate.

If you decide to do the 3+ hour transit, go eat at the Pappadeux at Terminal E, regardless of what flights you take.