Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

45 minute connection thru DFW airport enough time?

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the 5th year in a row, I am trying to book a trip to Montrose, Co for 9 family members, (one of which is a 3 year old andone is almost 75). For the last 4 years, we have flown Continental airlines thru Houston Hobby with about an hour and 20 min. layover and just made it each time. This year however, Continental fares have gone up quite a bit. Fortunately, American Airlines is now flying to Montrose from B'ham, via DFW airport. The problem is that there will only be a 45 minute layover in DFW. Is 45 minutes enough time in DFW to make a connection. (A similar flight going out today required passengers to go from C2 to B5 in DFW.) We are trying to figure out if it's better to stick with Continental which goes through Houston with a 1 hr. and 20 minute layover and spend $135 more pp. or take a chance on American Airlines with a 42 minute connection time thru DFW airport. Any suggestions or advice?
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM

Yes, go to the website
[http://www.dfwairport.com/terminals/].
Look at the terminal maps. This is especially helpful if you know which gates you'll be flying into/out of. Find the tram stations nearest your arriving gate if you will be changing terminals. Take the escalator UP to the tram (well marked with signage), then take the tram to the next terminal nearest your departing gate. We've done it in 45 minutes and made it to the bathroom, too.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:53 PM

I know you originally posted on the europe board and were told to repost here,but you might also try the airline board. They seem very knowledgeable there.

A lot will depend on when your flight actually arrives. If it's delayed you could have a problem. The times they post are when the plane lands ,then you have to travel to gate and unload.It should be doable but....

Please check on airline board where you will likely get a better response than I can provide.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM

I made a 15 minute connection at DFW (due to a delay, it wasn't scheduled at 15 min!) over the holidays, by running at top speed over moving walkways and up stairs (it was my third day trying to get home and there was NO WAY I was going to get stuck in Dallas overnight!). That was from A39 to D38 (A and D form the other end of a circle, you don't have to go through B and C). If your flights flights are on time, you can simply take the train connection from gate to gate. Supposedly the train is decent but A to D is the worst case do I didn't use the train. From B to C would probably be pretty quick.

That's IF your flights are on time. If there's a delay, and your gates aren't close together, you might get stuck. Dallas isn't a particularly friendly airport for gate to gate proximity although if you get lucky, your gates could be close together.

Is there another flight from DFW to Montrose after the one you would be scheduled on, in case you miss your connection there? I always ask that question whether I am flying through DFW or not, so I know whether I'm likely to be spending the night if there's a delay or I have a chance to hop on the later flight.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
P_M

PScott, on your thread in the Europe forum I suggested taking the earlier flight from BHM to DFW. This will give you more time in DFW so you don't have to worry about being delayed and missing your connection to Montrose.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:22 AM

I think 45 min is pretty tight for DFW under the circumstances. While we've made connections in that time many times, it doesn't take much to delay flights and we've also missed those connections more than I care to remember. The key is whether you have to change terminals and how far apart they are - assuming everyting else is on time. As you've apparently already done, you should be able to check on the web site for gate assignments and determine how far you have to go. With the make-up of your family members, I'd want more time just to be on the safe side.

Andrew also has a good point which would factor into my decision. I haven't checked schedules for this year, but usually both AA (through DFW) and CO (through IAH - you said Hobby in your post, but CO hasn't flown into Hobby for years) have had only one flight per day to Montrose. If you miss it, consider your options since the next flight probably won't be for 24 hrs.

I think I'd consider taking an earlier flight from BHM (assuming there is one) or consider the CO option.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:59 AM

Of course it's always a gamble...after all the Continental flight could be running an hour late. So spending $1100 might get you nothing in the end.

Since 9 seats are involved, it would be a mess if you miss the connection...the normal rebooking and rescheduling becomes a nightmare since usually only a few seats would be open on subsequent flights. Keep checking the Continental flights since they do usually match the other airlines at some point. Also, the problem might be that there just aren't 9 seats available at their lowest fare...have you tried booking 4 or 5 seats with Continental to see if the lower fare pops up?
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions... seems pretty split. I did find out from looking at the map of the DFW terminal that if they stick to the current gate assignments, although we do have to switch terminals, the gates are very close to the entrance of each terminal. I have also found out that there is a later flight leaving DFW to Montrose, should we miss our connection.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 07:29 AM

With the new Skylink (train) that runs around the entire airport, in both directions, every 2 minutes, inside security, 45 minutes is more than enough time to make a connection.

The FA on your first flight will announce the arrival gate and all the connecting gates. Study the terminal map in the back of the American Way magazine and make sure you know what's the best direction to go once you get to the Skylink train stop. There is also a customer rep at each train stop if you have any questions.

Also, just because the FA announced the connecting gates, I always make sure that the gate has not changed, so I either ask one of the gate agents after I deplane, or check the monitors before heading in that direction.

I connect through DFW about 25 times a year and I have it down to science. For me personally, 15 minutes is enough, but 45 minutes for your group should be fine, as long as your first flight is on time.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM

Unlike IAH, customs at DFW are fairly efficient. Oh, Hobby, so not B'ham, England, lol.
We have made many sub - 1 hour connections there.
Remarkably, we and luggage made a 10 min connection in BOG in Oct (but, with business seats).
M
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
P_M

PScott, regarding that later flight to Montrose, is it non-stop? I still vote for taking the earlier flight from BHM. But whatever you do have a great trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the flight is non-stop should we miss our earlier connection. I appreciate all the input and am going to take a map of the DFW airport (and reservation # for AA should we take off late) and hope for the best. Thanks again to all for suggestions and advice.
PScott
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM

The Skylink train within the airport is extremely quick. I wouldn't think you would have any difficulty making the connection in 45 minutes.