Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is 1 hour enough time to connect at Atlanta Hartsfield?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title pretty much says it all. Delta 1172 arrives in ATL at 3:53 pm. Delta 1407 leaves at 4:49 pm. I know everyone suggests giving yourself at least 1 hour to connect, so at 56 minutes, I'm cutting it close. Also, in researching this on other threads, I've seen people mention how long it takes to get from (hypothetically) gate A to B. How do you find out in advance what gate a specific flight arrives at? I looked on both the Hartsfield and Delta sites and couldn't find the info. Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Usually when you're in Delta's "My Itineraries" you can find the scheduled departure gates--of course that could change. It's only a couple of minutes btwn concourses by the train--but of course you need to deplane from your originating flt, walk to the 'transportation hub' (follow signs to baggage claim) and then walk through your departure concourse to the gate--if there are no delays, you will make your next flight. However, if you're worried, I'd call Delta and express your concerns.

Also, as you are arriving into Atlanta the flt. attendant normally lists the connecting gates so be sure to listen to that announcement. It will save you time having to speak to a gate agent or checking out the monitors.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:14 PM
TheWeasel

If you go to Delta's website and enter the flight number, it'll show you info for 3 days (yesterday, today, tomorrow) for that flight. Click on details, and it'll show which gate the flight uses at ATL. 1172 is at gate A9, and 1407 is at gate B18. B18 is the closest gate to the center of terminal B (check out the terminal maps on the Hartsfield website) and A9 is about halfway down the A terminal. The center of the terminal is where the train is located which will take you to the other terminals, so unless your flight is delayed, I can't see why you wouldn't make the 4:49pm flight.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM
bamakelly

I've done layovers in Atlanta in that amount of time, no problem. But I am also very familiar with the airport. You can research gates ahead of time, but they really do change too often to depend on that. OWJ's advice to listen out for your gate is right on. Also, when you deplane, look immediately to the screen monitor beside your gate for your connecting gate info to double check that what you have been told is still correct. Then book it to your next gate.

I don't think getting from Gate A to B (or whatever) is the problem; the bigger problem will be if your 1172 flight is running behind schedule, IMO.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks OWJ. I can't use the my itineries function because I haven't purchased the ticket yet. And thanks TheWeasel, that's exactly what I was looking for. Best wishes and safe travels to all.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

bamakelly- Yes that's pretty much what I thought. I've laid-over at Hartfield a couple of times and don't remember the between-concourse transportation being any big deal, but I had a couple of hours those times and wasn't really paying attention. I'm flying out of RNO, which is usually on time, so I guess the only worry is ATL weather in September. Thanks.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Dan

It usually takes me no more than 20 minutes (at most) to get from any Hartsfield gate to another one. The train is a very easy and quick way to switch terminals! I think you're A-OK with 56 minutes. For future reference, I'd give 90 minutes minimum for international arrivals who have to deal with Atlanta's US Customs office.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:57 PM

I just did this last week with a 45 minute layover. it was more than enough time.

I will tell you, though ... my layover was supposed to be 1.5 hours but at check in, found that the first plane arrived 45 minutes late. so delta gave me the option to take a later connection. I didn't take the option, obviously, but maybe that will be open to you.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:01 PM

The international arrival suggestion of 90 minutes is a good one because of one added obstacle. TSA now checks deplaning international passengers before they can leave the international arrival area.

That means a full security review just like you were coming in. The rational behind this procedure is that those foreigners cannot be trusted!

The set up in Atlanta is such that ALL passengers (as of the last time I returned from Europe) must go through security. There is no way to separate connecting passengers from those who have reached the end of their journey.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:18 PM

BAMAKELLY'S BACK!

YIPPEE YAHOO!!!

HOW YA DOING GIRL!?!?!?!

I'm about to submit recipes for a church cookbook and can't wait to submit "Bamakelly's Corn Casserole".

Missed ya! How's your world?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Sorry. Answer to OP's question? Yes.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:50 PM
bamakelly

Hey Starrs. Just saw you on another thread. Can you email me at kristikelly AT comcast.net? Thanks!

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Yes, ma'am. Just did!
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:02 PM

We had no problems with similar connecting AeroMexico/DAL flights: MEX-ATL-LGA and return in late April.
M
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:15 PM

There are three more flights ATL-PHL after 1407. So if your RNO-ATL flight gets delayed, DL can still get you to Philly same night.

Or just book the next one, DL1012 at 6:10pm. If you get to ATL early and has no checked luggage, go standby on 1407.