sudden vacation change

Search

sudden vacation change

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sudden vacation change

I hope someone can help. My husband and I had our vacation plans all made for Hilton Head the week oh 7/15. This would be our first trip alone, with no kiddos.Then I unexpectedly had to have surgery. Now doctor says I can still take a vacation but no salt water or sand any time this summer. We had wanted to tour Savannah or Charleston on our trip. Any suggestions of a place to stay that is just a peaceful place to relax? Does not need to be in the city just close enough to drive in and do some sight seeing in either city Would be wonderful if it had a view of water- like the river or bay. I am really stuck trying to plan on this short a notice.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:20 AM

The Rhett House, Beaufort, SC.

The Inlet Inn, Beaufort, NC

Ivivi Lake & Mountain Lodge 161 Waterside Drive, Lake Lure, NC 28746, 828-625-0601,
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:13 AM

I just reread your post. I see you want to stay close to either Charleston or Savannah. My suggestions are not helpful and I do apologize.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:24 AM
TheWeasel

I'm a bit confused. No salt water/sand basically means stay off the beach, right? Couldn't you just keep your original plans and avoid the beach, rather than looking for brand new accomodations?

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Oh, dear!!! What a blow that must be! Now, I (and others like me) have found that after certain types of anesthesia, there may be an increased sensitivity to bright sunlight plus a tendency to tire much easier than usual. You would be wise just to ride around as much as possible.

So with that in mind....I would recommend Savannah. You can see a lot just riding around with doing very little walking. Get a room in one of the hotels that have rooms on the River. Then if you get tired, you can sit and watch the big ships heading into the port or back out to sea. It's very interesting.

Since you have a whole week, you could manage a day trip up to Charleston or Beaufort. Again, just ride around and look.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help. Doctor recommended I not stay at beach. He felt too big a risk. Any recommendations on where to stay in or near Savannah? Just want somewhere quiet to rest and relax.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM

there are three large hotels that have room overlooking the River. The Westin Resort, The Hyatt Regency and The Marriot Riverfront.

There are two smaller hotels, River Street Inn and The Olde Harbour Inn. There is also Sea Cabins. Do a google search on all of them. I don't know if you would describe Sea Cabins as a hotel. It's really more of an apartment.

Be sure you ask for a room overlooking the River. Otherwise, all you have is just a regular hotel room.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:22 PM

I just happened to think, if you do decide on Savannah, the Hyatt Regency only has valet parking, which could be a problem if you want to use your car often.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM

The Westin is on an island in the river. Nice resort - but pricey food options. You will need to either drive or take the water taxi to restaurants and to walk the rest of Savannah. I've stayed on a Hotwire res, but it's not my favorite location in Savannah.

River Street Inn is nice IF you get the side with a water view. It's not my favorite in city view rooms. I used to stay there regularly, but service was spotty.

The Hyatt just finished a remodel. Many love it. It's just too "big hotel" for me - I like smaller properties in Savannah. But, after the renovation is is very nice.

STAY AWAY FROM OLD HARBOUR INN. Nasty. A coworker checked in and checked out in just a few minutes. Has not been maintained. Mildew. Just yucky (and I very rarely say anything that negative about a hotel).

My favorite is the Hampton Inn Historic Distict at the corner of Bay and Abercorn. Be careful - they are about to open another "Hampton Inn Historic District" on MLK Jr Drive. I'm not sure where exactly, but that location will not be as nice. The Hampton Inn looks like a historic building but is new construction with all the good things that come with that. Good free breakfast. Convenient in and out parking garage. A small rooftop pool - but you won't be using that. Great location. Great hotel. Great choice.

There are countless other nice inns and B&B's in the city. Do a bit of search on this board for others' favorites.

BTW, the Doubletree is nice too. Right next to City Market. I've had river view rooms from both the Doubletree and Hampton - even though they are a block away from the river (which is a big PLUS for me! )

The Marriott is on the river but a bit furthere away. I'm there a lot for conventions. Have not liked the location since it was new and the rooms are now well-worn from heavy convention traffic.

The Mulberry is a Holiday Inn property but is historic and VERY nice. They usually have a good lunch buffet too.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM

I second the recommendation for the Mulberry Inn. I stayed there last year and found it very peaceful and relaxing. There is a lovely courtyard and an afternoon tea/social hour in the lobby. I think it would be a great place to recuperate.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:21 PM

The Mulberry would be a good choice. It would be just a short walk to get a very good view of the river.