Houston International Connection Time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at airfares for Savannah, GA to Tuscon, AZ for early November.

Continental airlines is currently the best prices. This would require a connection in Houston, I've never flown into, out of or through Houston before. I have 2 choices a 32 minute connection time (arriving at 10am and departing at 10:32am) or a 3-ish hour connection time (arriving at 10am departing 1pm-ish).

I generally would choose the 3 hour connection because it leaves me some "comfort room" in the event of delays, but this will be a short weekend trip (celebrating friend's 40th birthday!) and I prefer to get back home (pending any flight delays)late afternoon/early evening instead of late evening, since I will have to be at work early the next morning.

So, long way around getting to my question...in your opinion would 32 minutes be enough of a connection time in Houston...I will be traveling with carry-on only.

Thanks for any guidance you can give!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM

I don't consider 42 minutes enough time even if I were going from one gate to another 50 feet way. If your plane is more than 10 minutes late, you could miss your connection, and if the flights are fairly full, you might not make it to Tuscon even on the same day (if this were Phoenix, I might give you different advice since it has many more flights).

For peace of mind, I'd do a 3-hour connection even though Houston isn't as bad as DFW. By the way, which airport? I'm assuming this is IAH.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Sorry .. I see I mis-typed. I don't consider 32 minutes enough time.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Let's just say I've spent the night in Houston three times for missing connections on Continental. Of course, my second flight was always the last flight to Birmingham so they had no later flights for me that day.

IAH is not that user-friendly, IMO. I have had to do a lot of walking just to get to a bus that took forever to get to the next terminal. I would never try anything under an hour there. More is better.

However, I flew through there last week and both flights were late so I was OK!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Before I answer your question, let me confirm you're asking about the TUS-SAV leg on a Sunday in November? Because the IAH-SAV flight now departs 10:40a for 11/4 or 11/11. You have 8 extra minutes.

Anyways, TUS flights come into IAH Terminal C or E. SAV flights are on regional jets that use IAH Terminal B. You need to take the TerminaLink train over. Depending on which gates the flights use, it may take up to 20 minutes to get from gate to gate.

So, 40 minutes is really very tight. You may want to take a chance and book the earlier one, and if you miss the connection, they can still put you on the 1:30 flight, if there's room, of course.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Another point is that CO1715 TUS departs like 6-something in the morning. The plane overnights at TUS, which shouldn't have weather or congestion.

In fact, looking at 1715 performance in the past 6 months, it is almost never late. Often half an hour early.

I'd be pretty comfortable booking this itinerary.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking since it was a 6am TUS departure that the plane might overnight in TUS, and "potentially" be on time arriving at IAH.

I'm still leaning towards the 3 hour connection...it's the "worry wart" in me, and hey, if I have to go into work late the next morning so be it!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Personally, I think 32-minutes is too risky. It's a huge airport, and with all the rain in the area in the summer, the schedules get out of whack. I'd be comfortable with the 3 hour connection. Hope all goes smoothly for you.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM

I went to Houston last month. It was my first time so I do not have much experience with the airport. IAH is BIG! I don't think I'd be comfortable with the shorter connection, but then again, I am a worry wart like you.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Hey rkkwan!
What website do you use to get that info? Or is it confidential information? !

( on a side note, what is the name of the Thai Restaurant we went to in Houston?? DH is there at MD Anderson visiting and needs it for take out. Thanks! You can email if you want. )
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM

Beachgirl - I use Continental's website and timetable to figure the flight the OP is on, and then use these two sites for on-time information:

flightstats.com - for overall numbers
flightaware.com - for individual flights

The Thai restaurant is called "Nit Noi".

---

And to the OP, you may get lunch at Pappadeaux in Terminal E. Good Cajun seafood there.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM

BTW, I am so disappointed that everybody's saying the 40-minute connection can't be done, because the chance of the OP making it is extremely high.

Having said that, I'd go for a leisurely meal at IAH instead.

But I figure 10am Houston time or 9am AZ time is too early for lunch at Pappadeaux. Perhaps go for a breakfast at the Ruby Diner, also at Terminal E. From there, it's a quick trip on the TerminaLink train to Terminal B for the SAV flight.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:38 PM

I think you're best off booking the later flight. If your flight from Tuscon gets in early and/or the early flight out leaves late..then you've a good shot of going standby on that earlier flight. That's the way I'd book it. (IAH..by the way, not International, but "Intercontinental" and now the George Bush Intercontinental!)
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 04:29 AM

Hi, LowCountry - I asked my husband who flies in and out of Houston every week for business, and he said he would book the later flight. If you get in early enough, you can go standby on the early flight - that was his recommendation.

It has rained in Houston almost every single day for 2 months; he's been put in a holding pattern over and over due to stormy weather. He also said "if everything goes perfectly she could do it" - really up to you and how much you want to worry. If you miss the first flight and the next flight is full, that would really ruin your trip. I hope you have a great time!
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input, especially the restaurant recommendations!

My gut is telling me go with the longer layover time...that way I'll probably want lunch...LOL!
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Oh! Yes, after I posted I realized it was "Intercontinental" instead of "International"...thanks Sarge56
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:58 AM

DD used to be a FA for CO so we flew it a lot, and through Houston. One time we arrived on a regional jet and had to get to another terminal (as someone has suggested). We even got them to take us by cart on a couple of the legs. I can't remember the connection time, but it will be a trek maybe. I do assume that if you miss it, they will put you on the next one--but it might be standby (and that is a whole 'nother nail biter) since they list that as an acceptable connection. So, it may be worth a try.