Vacation condos in South Beach

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacation condos in South Beach

I'm looking for information on this way of getting accommodations. Can anyone recommend an agent for this? Is it safe to rent through an owner? Are there scams where they take your money and don't actually give you the apartment? I'd hate to get down to Florida and be out on the street.

Specifically, I am looking at a condo in the Flamingo complex. Unit itself is a bit unappealing in terms of decorating (I guess you don't get the best of the lot when you look only 3 weeks out), but the complex looks gorgeous. Is anyone familiar with this complex, and with renting through Eva at myflamingovacation.com.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 09:38 AM

I don't know anything about the complex specifically but am familiar with the location.

A couple of points; you'll have to rent beach chairs daily if you go to the beach.

Or you can hit the Wings on the corner of Lincoln Road and Collins Avenue and purchase three cheap beach chairs and a cooler. That way you can make sandwiches and have drinks on the beach.

Most places will not allow men to enter after 5PM in shorts. Take long pants with you. Jeans are allowed everywhere and there are no dress codes for women.

My husband has a bunch of drawstring linen pants that he either wears out or throws over his bathing suit if we are at happy hour.

People don't go out at night until 10PM. It is usually sun on the beach, happy hour until 7PM, siesta, then clean up and head out.

Most restaurants don't open until 6PM.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Boy, when I go to the beach here I never have a beach chair. I throw my towel on the sand. But I guess chairs are more comfortable. I hadn't thought about carrying chairs and a cooler to the beach if we have the condo - that means taxis instead of walking. But the condo complex has nice grounds, pools, a big gym and a beach on the bay (not a walk in beach though). So some days we would probably stay there.

Thanks for the advice about dress code and dining hours. How late are the restaurants open? We tend to be late eaters, and one of the things that irritates me about the suburbs where I live is that everything closes by 9 or 10, and the only place left to go is a diner.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM

Most places serve until at least midnight some later.

I think Nobu serves until 2AM.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 11:50 AM

I'm miserable on the beach without a chair unless I'm on my stomach. Cooler will come in handy for the pool also. Many places say no coolers but they don't enforce.

You are close enough to the beach to walk.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

what about the advisability of getting a condo rental? How do you check out the reliability of the person you are dealing with?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:39 PM

It's a 9 block walk to the beach from the bay. As a kid growing up in South Beach I did it all the time. If you are comfortable on a big towel why drag beach chairs?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 06:14 AM

butnotrmpt:

I honestly can’t comment of the place but I did find this reviews on trip advisor for you:
Wonderful condo”
Flamingo South Beach
menio
Los Angeles
Jan 22, 2009
We stayed 9 days at the Flamingo on December 2008. The specific flat we stayed was #720S. It is a one bedroom, a living room with a kitchenette, and a gorgeous view of the bay and downtown. The condo had high speed internet, HD Cable TV on both the living room and the bedroom. The flat screens were large in each room, and there also was a DVD player. The condo also has a very nice balcony that faces West and hence the beautiful sunsets. The condo was clean and came with lots of towels! The Flamingo is situated very close to the inimitable Lincoln St. with its sidewalk cafes and numerous boutiques. Getting to the beach is a relatively short walk, or you can grab a taxi, as the distances in South Beach are very short, cab fare is very cheap. (Under $10 to most destinations).
The Flamingo complex has three large and very nice pools. Also has a gym for the complex. We rented the condo via a friend and the rates were very reasonable for South Beach, especially taking the pristine condition of the condo and the amenities of the Flamingo into account.
Jul 17, 2008
For our first trip to Miami, my girlfriend and I wanted to do it right. We booked a condo in the Flamingo through our agent for 5 nights. Not only did the unit (#720 in the South building) have EVERYTHING we needed from a stove, dvd player, HD television in the bedroom and the living room, iPod stereo player (iHome unit, I think), walk-in closet to loads of towels, but it had a very stylish decor to compliment a fantastic view of the Miami bay and downtown area. Unlike in a hotel, we were able to cook breakfast every morning to save some money for the incredible things Miami Beach has to offer. The complex was right next to all the shopping on Lincoln Ave., which is a nice promenade with tons of restaurants, shops and clubs. It is also close to the shopping district on Collins, South Beach, and the awesome hotels on North Beach. I wouldn't recommend a car if you stay at the Flamingo, cab rides are under $10 to any point on the island. Definitely go visit the Delano (a very cool hotel), Espanola Ave. (gorgeous little Spanish-style street with shops and eateries), and the Front Porch Cafe (green eggs!) in addition to the beach (which is breathtaking). There is also a laundry unit in the room, but for heavy loads and such I would use the on-site laundry. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go to the Flamingo again!
If you want to find these go to tripadvisor.com and on search type Flamingo Condo South Beach keep going down the different places and you should find it, have a great time here in Miami. Hope this helps
Gina
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 06:21 AM

butnotrmpt:
here I found another one which also includes the place you spoke about in your original post:
Since we did not book from the listed sites we have to tell you we booked from myflamingovacation.com
This is not a hotel it is privately owned condos at a much lower prices than hotels, better units 1 bedroom plus living room elegantly furnished, with free parking ( actually in S.Beach (SOBE) you dont need a car. It is a huge property with 2 huge pools that make the beach obsolete. Located in the best area af SOBE walking distance to all attractions, restaurants galore , shops to die for and people walking everywhere and having fun. We never seen so much action in any other travel experience- SOBE is the place ! The unit was clean with balcony to sit and enjoy the wine with amazing water view. Every amenity including 42 inch flat TVs broadband cable internet, ipod player, ...........name it. No more hotels, from now on it will be FLAMINGO South Beach. The people around are all very nice the pools have a lot of "show" and with some visits to the beach we decided we prefer the pools. Taxis in front and all over SOBE ready to take you anywhere at much lower prices than N.York or LA. Local busses with 25 Cents !
Myflamingovacation.com responds very promptly the same day by email and by phone giving you all the accurate information. We are talking service
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi Colombiana - Thanks for doing that research. I've seen those reviews. Eva just offered me a different place, and I am waiting to hear back from her on it. But my research in general has produced many very favorable reviews and comments on the Flamingo.

My concerns about doing a vacation rental are justified however. There is another rental management person who has apparently ripped off both condo owners and vacationers over the past few years. She is mentioned many times on Tripadvisors forums. So I am proceeding very cautiously, which may mean that I will end up staying in the hotel that I have booked as a backup. Not a terrible fate.