Search

Boca Raton in the Summer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:04 PM
DMG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boca Raton in the Summer

We would like to go to Boca in August. I'm sure it will be very hot and humid and we will NOT be staying at a hotel on the ocean. However we would like to go to a nice beach in the Boca/Delray area where we can rent beachchairs and umbrellas. Any suggestions? Any other pointers of what we should do at this time of year?
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:25 PM

There are quite a few public beaches in the area. From memory they do not rent beach chairs or umbrellas.

The beach at the end of Palmetto in Boca is very nice. Park on the street and save the $15 parking fee. The beach at Linton ave in Delray is also very nice. If you don't mind driving a bit the beach at Lantana in Palm Beach is very nice. It is next door to the Ritz Carlton Hotel.

I was there two weeks ago and it is very hot. My advice is get to the beach early and leave around 11:30pm and don't come back before 2pm. By noon the sand is too hot too walk on. You can always do some shoppping a nd get a bite to eat during this time. The mall in Boca Towne Center on Glades is very nice.

You will want to stay at the beach rather than by the pool as you will have the breeze at the beach which you will not have at the pool.

Have fun!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:48 PM
GoTravel

You can buy inexpensive beach chairs (under $10) and umbrellas at Walmart, Kmart, big grocery stores, and places like Walgreens.

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:45 PM
DMG
Original Poster

I'd prefer to rent on the beach and have someone set everything up for us if possible.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:10 AM

There are no public beaches that have chair/umbrella rentals to my knowledge. You might be able to find a hotel on the beach that would allow you to use their facilities for a fee, especially in the summer. What not phone ahead of time. The Marriott in Delray sits on the beach. The Colony in Delray has it's own beach club. The only hotel I know of in Boca that's on the beach is the Boca Resort and I don't think they allow anyone other than paying guests.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:40 AM

What made you choose Boca in August?
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 05:31 AM
DMG
Original Poster

I bought a home there and want to come down to finish ordering furniture. My wife also wants to know why we should go down in the summer: I'd like everything to be ready before the winter season.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:56 AM

It all makes sense now.Good luck in your new house.Start searching for a spot to spend your summers or at least a part of them.Hot and sticky.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Being from Boca myself, I hate to let out this HUGE secret, but the Holiday Inn at Highland Beach (borders Boca on the North) is lovely and the most under-appreciated piece of South Florida beach. They DO have real cabana-style chaise longues with cushions and umbrellas on the beach, though I have no idea what they charge. It also has a very adequate restaraunt right on the beach - perfect for breakfast or brunch and there is always a table inside or out, even on weekends. It's not the Ritz nor does it pretend to be, but its an A-1 location. (But, PLEASE, don't let the secret out to other Boca residents - for now I would love to keep this as my little "jewel" in this oasis of pink strip malls!

Now, as for coming to South Florida in August that is a whole different response! Agree that you need to enjoy the mornings, late afternoon and evenings. The afternoons should be spent in doors. (Also, when in Boca, don't miss a stroll around Mizner Plaza downtown.) Enjoy!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:41 AM
DMG
Original Poster

To mgmargate: I am using my Boca place basically as a vacation home to escape the Chicago winters. Once I retire it may become my principle home.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:50 AM

Now you will become an official Snowbird.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:50 AM

What a great idea Michael. I totally forgot about that place. I used to go there to eat. It is a gorgeous spot.

BTW, I happen to be in Boca right now. Boy is it H*O*T. Shopping and movies. If you have a pool or access to one, buy a float and get in with a good book and a big hat.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 11:07 AM
DMG
Original Poster

I think I found what I needed on google.com There is a public beach in Delray that rents chairs. Thanks for all your help.

"Delray Municipal Beach is one of the most accessible and beautiful beaches in South Florida and was selected by Travel Holiday magazine as the top public beach in the southeastern United States for swimming and one of the top 35 beaches in the country. Sand quality, water warmed by the gulf stream current, lack of rip currents, and safe waves were all cited as factors contributing to their choice of Delray Municipal Beach.

The City of Delray Beach contracts with a beach cleaning service and a cabana rental company to insure year round enjoyment of the Municipal Beach for our residents and visitors."