Nervous about nudity!

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nervous about nudity!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to St. Martin
in 2 weeks and had planned to visit Orient
Beach one day as it goes highly recommended.

I am Canadian and self-concious about
nudity, but I am aware that it is very common
on Orient Beach. Is there a clothing manditory
part of this beach? I realize that we will still
be surrounded in nudity, but I would prefer to
station myself in a more clothed area.
(please give me some major reference points,
so I will know where to go)

My hope is that after the initial shock, I will
come to realize that it is no big deal!

I have also heard about Tintamarre and the
mud baths. We are interested in taking a little
1/2 day trip there to do the mud thing and maybe
snorkel. Does anyone know of a clothing manditory
tour there? I have heard of the 'nude' of c/o trip where the crew of the boat are naked. That's a bit too much for me!

Thanks for your help and understanding,
S
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:12 AM

You will notice that some areas of Orient Bay have more nudity than others, so after walking a bit you can decide which part of the beach you are most comfortable with. I'm not aware of any areas of Orient that do not permit nudity, but you will not be the only one clothed, by any means.

There will be all types of people there, some with suits and some without, and you will more than likely become accustomed to seeing the nudity after awhile. I think that for most of us who are not used to seeing perfect strangers naked, it takes a bit of getting used to.

It is a beautiful beach to spend an afternoon at, but if you are totally uncomfortable you could always just enjoy it for awhile and then move on to another beach on the French side where you would encounter only topless women.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:30 AM
JMM

Most people on Orient Beach will be clothed. However a significant number of women will be topless. Most nude people will be found at the south end of the beach near Club Orient, the clothing optional resort (as you face the ocean -right side) - so if you want to see the fewest nude people go to your left as you face the ocean.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:37 AM
RAB

Most of the nudity at Orient is at the southern end where Club Orient is. Although there is some nudity at other locations, and it may be encountered anywhere, the large majority of people in the central part of the beach will be clothed. This is particularly true when a lot of cruise ship passengers are present, when in fact even topless may be rare. Head for the central part of the beach - say Bikini Beach bar area There are numerous establishments along here renting beach chairs; you can walk along and pick the spot that seems most comfortable to you. Expect a pretty busy and commercialized beach in contrast to many of the others on the island that are quieter.

There are clothed catamaran trips to Tintamare; I have never taken one, but your hotel can give you information.

Most people find that after a little while on a nude beach, the novelty wears off and it becomes no big deal.

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Shells, I can tell you from experience that it won't take long before you decide it's just no big deal.

As the others have mentioned, there will be plenty of other people in various stages of dress from fully clothed in tops and shorts/pants to the few who will be au naturel.

The very first time I encountered full nudity was in Key West at the B&B where I was staying, and I was like, "WHOA!!!" (I did manage to keep from making a total fool of myself.)

I find that every time I go to a place where topless or nude is allowed, that first "shock" period gets shorter and shorter. In fact, I found going topless myself for the first time last year was kind of liberating and fun. I'm sure the Margaritas didn't hurt.

Many people put their suits on to walk into the water or to stroll on the beach, and only lie on their towels/chairs topless/nude.

Not to worry, no one will say anything to you for not choosing to disrobe, and you will easily be able to find a spot where you can enjoy your day.

I think people have the mistaken impression sometimes that the beach will be full of Playboy bunnies and Chippendale dancers running around and playing volleyball.

The truth is; it's folks of all ages and backgrounds and body types, and after 15 minutes, it's so non-sexual as to be mundane.

Bottom line, (pun intended) it's just the usual beach scene - just a bit more "scenery."
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback!
I feel better already.

I was thinking of sitting in front of Kakao.
Is the bar there clothing manditory?

Shells
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM

Ive lived in SXM for 18 years now, and I walk Orient Beach end to end once a day (just got back from today's walk ).As others have told you the total nudity is mostly found at Club Oreint which is at the end of the right hand side, as you face the sea.

Kakao is a perfect choice, I dont recall ever seeing total nudity there, though most French girls and women will be topless. At the tiny KO Bar there, tell the soccermad barman 'Gallinet' that Danny the Liverpool fan from Presidente beer says hello.

Enyoy your stay.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:41 PM

When we visited, I found that many women would remove their tops. After a while, you'll find it's no big deal.

I ended up going topless at some beaches, but that was many years ago. I doubt you'll feel uncomfortable at all staying fully clothed.