Search

Utah Wyoming Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah Wyoming Trip

Okay I am trying this again.

Thank you to everyone who has given me input already.

Based on comments from my prior post - should we skip Mesa Verde and spend the extra 2 nights somewhere else? If so, where? We can also stop the night of Day 5 in Bluff at the Desert Rose Inn and spend one night at the Far View Lodge at Mesa Verde instead of driving all the way to Cortez Day 5 and staying at the Holiday Inn for 2 nights. Feedback on these alternatives is appreciated.

My children wanted to see Mesa Verde and therefore we had it on our route. We realize this is a lot of ground to cover but this is our one shot of seeing this area and we wanted to take in as much as possible.

Other item I need to decide - should we take a jeep tour in the Moab area? Raft trip?

Does anyone know if there is a laundramat in Moab?

Thanks!

Day 1: Fly into SLC at 1:34 - drive to Springdale with a stop at Walmart in Cedar City for cooler and groceries.
Dinner - any recommendations?
Lodging 2 nights at the BW Zion Park Inn.

Day 2: Take shuttle into park - hike the narrows if weather permits.
Dinner at Bit & Spur.

Day 3: Hike Weeping trail and Emerald Pools Trail
Dinner - any recommendations?
Drive to Tropic
Lodging for 2 nights at the Bullberry Inn.

Day 4: Bryce Canyon NP - Hike Fairyland Point Trail. Drive to Rainbow Point.
Dinner at Bryce Canyon Lodge.

Day 5: Travel down Highway 12

Would like recommendations on what we should do. We would like to see a slot canyon so I have the following:
Stop at Goblin Valley State Park and Little Wild Horse Canyon.

Other optional stops:
Escalante Petrified Forest SP
Anasazi Indian Village State Park & Visitor’s Center
Capitol Reef National Park

Lunch @ Café Diablo.
Drive to Holiday Inn Express in Cortez, CO for 2 nights.

Day 6 & 7: Visit Mesa Verde - Visit the Far View Visitor Center to purchase tour tickets for a Cliff Palace or Balcony House Tour. Visit the Chapin Mesa Museum and Spruce Tree House. Drive the Mesa Top Loop Road. Visit Far View Sites Complex.
Dinner at Mesa Verde Spruce Tree Cafe.

Day 7: Travel to Moab early afternoon - Stop at Canyonlands NP- Canyonlands National Park
Dinner at Central Café
2 nights lodging at the Aarchway Inn.

Day 8: Visit Arches NP. Fiery Furnance Trail and Devils Garden Trail
OR
Take a jeep/rafting trip.
Dinner at Miguel's Baja Grill.

Day 9: Drive north to stopping point about 1 hour south of Jackson. I NEED HELP WITH A PLACE TO SPEND ONE NIGHT AND A SCENIC ROUTE - CONSIDERING ROUTE 89 OR ROUTE 191 THROUGH VERNAL

Day 10: Visit Jackson Hole and continue to Grand Teton NP.
Dinner at Leeks Marina & Pizzeria.
Lodging 2 nights at Colter Bay Lodge.

Day 11: Hike Jenny Lake to Inspiration Point. Oxbow Bend canoe rental.
Dinner at The Calico Italian Restaurant & Bar.

Day 12 & 13: Travel to Yellowstone - Over next 3 days visit Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, Mammoth Hot Springs, Mud Volcano, Norris Geyser Basin, Upper Geyser Basin - Old Faithful, hike Mt Washburn Trail.
2 nights at Lake Yellowstone Hotel

Day 14: late day travel to Idaho Falls.

Day 15: Flight departs SLC at 1:20 pm.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Hi KMS,

Well, you certainly have a full schedule. Day 5 is not giong to work. Goblin Valley is not on Hwy 12 and will be too far out of your way considering what you have planned for day 5.

Drive Hwy 12 to Torrey and see a little of Capital Reef. Take a picnic in their lovely picnic grounds (big shade trees and grass by the river). You will not have time for lunch at Cafe Diablo.

It's a 2 1/2 hour drive just from Capital Reef to Moab without stops.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:51 AM

kms

I don't believe Cafe Diablo is open for lunch, which is too bad, because their food is great.

Have a great trip whatever you decide.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Yes, there is a laundrymat in Moab.

Only driving to Blanding saves you about 80 miles and 1 1/2 hours of driving time on day 5. This really doesn't solve Day 5's problems. You will be driving over 200 miles and spending an extra 5 1/2 hours in a car to include Mesa Verde in your trip so I would be incline to spend the two nights and one full day at Mesa Verde...it's worth it, especially since your children want to see it.

I have not done Wild Horse Canyon. We have driven down the road that leads to the trail head, but have not hiked in that area. From what I've read it's a 4 to 5 hour trail to do the whole route but you could see some of it in an hours time. Maybe you should start a new thread with Wild Horse Canyon in your heading to see if anyone has done these slots.

I WOULD not drive to Goblin and Wild Horse and then go back to Torrey for lunch. From Hanksville back to Torrey and then back to Hanksville to get to Cortez adds almost 100 miles and 2 hours of driving time. Have an early lunch in Torrey, stop and see Capitol Reef and then head to Wild Horse Canyon...if you must do this part of the trip. BTW, if it has been raining, is raining or looks like rain...I would forget about Wild Horse all together. Flash floods are deadly in this part of the country!

If you decide not to go to Mesa Verde, then I would spend one of the extra nights in Torrey, Utah. This would give you enough time to do all those optional stops on the way and add another night to Moab. This way it won't mess up your other reservations. I would then stop at Wild Horse Canyon on the way between Torrey and Moab.

Utahtea

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Speaking of Capitol Reef N.P., I originally intended to spend half a day there, but ended up with 2.5 days, and this is just for the developed areas. We hiked several of the trails, but the Grand Wash trail leads to the narrowest and most spectacular part of the canyon.
You might want to consider this in place of Mesa Verde.

As I recall, we saw a small slot canyon at the beginning of the paved portion of the Burr trail off highway 12. I just can't remember how to find it.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 09:39 AM

banares,

You picked up the Burr Trail on Hwy 12 right in Boulder, Utah.

Utahtea
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Clousie, you are correct, Cafe Diablo is closed for lunch - thanks for the heads up and the recommendation to pack a lunch.

I will take Dayle's and Utahtea's advice for Day 5 - Visit Capital Reef and hike the Grand Wash and then travel on to Cortez.

Does anyone know of a swimming hole or river where my kids can get wet in Capital Reef? I saw someone mention the Fremont River Cascades but cannot find anything on Google.

Once again thank you for helping me tweak my trip!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM

They don't allow swimming in the Fremont River in Capitol Reef or so they say. It is probably not a good place to swim because it get pretty brown from silt. There is a small waterfall but it's very hard to reach. You have to scramble down rocks to get to the the base of the falls where you would want to swim. You do see people down there when the river isn't full of silt.

Pleasant Creek is a very shallow creek but it usually runs clear. Pleasant Creek is reached by a short unpaved road at the end of the paved scenic road in Capitol Reef. It will be a place to get cooled off. We use to always take our boys there.

If you want a place to swim, then Escalante - Petrified Forest State park just on the outskirts of the town of Escalante has the Wide Hollow Reservoir that is great for swimming.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/uta...tate_park.html

You will cross the Colorado River at Hite's Crossing but since Lake Powell is so low, they say the marina is closed and the only access to the river is with 4 wheel drive vehicle so you won't be able to find a place to swim here either....not this year.

Utahtea

Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:14 AM

There is a nice accessible slot canyon along the beginning of the Burr Trail out of Boulder - maybe about 6 miles down. It's on the left side right along the roadside - very cool. The Long Canyon area of the Burr trail is very scenic too. I'd do this instead of Little Wild Horse due to your tight Day 5 schedule. Going all the way from Bryce to Cortez is way too far especially since the area along Rte 12 and Capitol Reef are so spectacular and there is so much to see and do. It would be great if you could schedule a night or two in Torrey.