Search

Utah advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah advice

Aloha -
My husband and I are flying out to vegas from Oahu (only because it's cheap) on Sept 13th and staying until the 23rd for a "ghost town" tour of Utah.

We have a good idea of what/where we want to go/see - but since we are stuck on Oahu our judgement of how long it takes to drive 100 miles is way off. And advice on drive times and if this is at all possible would be great.

9/13 - overnight in Vegas as flight is red-eye
9/14 - out to Zion, stop at ghost towns on way/over night at Zion
9/15 - another night at Zion (necessary?)
9/16 - 89 to Bryce Canyon/overnight
9/17 - up backroads to 22/62 over the Capitol reef/overnight - either that or 12 to Capitol reef - but the other way has 2 ghost towns on it - which one to take?
9/18 - decision time - we want to see Frisco which is West of the 15 out of Milford and we also want to head to Mesa Verde and possibly Promontory!!! (ambitious, huh?) There is no way we can do all this I'm sure. So, which way to go now? Take 24 to 95 and cut across and camp at Cataract Canyon? Take the backroads up to 211 and into Canyonlands? Camp there? Not sure if we can make this drive in a day? Suggestions?
9/19 - I'm hoping to be over in the South East at this point - camp? Newspaper rock? Monticello?
9/20 - Mesa verde overnight
9/21 - Mexican Hat to Kayenta or Tuba City/over night
9/22 - drive through GC, peak over the edge then off to Vegas
9/23 - fly out 8am

Are we out of our minds? We are renting a 4WD, but I just have no idea if these drives are possible in our time frame. We don't have to stay the night at Bryce, we can just power up into Capitol Reef and stay there. But I don't know if we will pull in at 10pm only to have to wake up the next morning at 7am and take off to Canyonlands via the 96.

Any help would be great! Thanks again!

Denise
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:30 PM

enter utahtea in the search forum box above and you should find answers to most of your questions.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ronkala

I just spent the last hour or so reading over all the Utahtea posts I could find. Most of my questions were answered -

I'm only down to trying to figure out the drive time from Capitol Reef/Torrey to Newspaper Rock/Monticello via the 24 to 95 and then some back roads north to that area. Are there any places to stop for food/gas on the way? Ghost towns? Side trips? And about how long of a drive?

The other question is the trip from Mesa Verde to Kayenta or Tuba City. Is this possible in one day? Are we talking 7 or 8 hours of driving? Ick.

Thanks for any help on this.

denise
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:17 PM

Someone mention Utahtea? I'm here!

The only two ghost towns I've been to near Zion are Silver Reef which is now located among new homes and Grafton just outside of Zion. Grafton is just a fraction of what it use to be 20 years ago. One house had been burned down and others vandelised. The church was still in pretty good condition the last time we were there and I hear they are trying to save the area. The cemetery nearby is very interesting.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/

A second day in Zion will give you an opportunity to really see the park, if you are interested at all in siteseeing other places besides ghost towns.

I've never taken Hwy 22 but Hwy 64 is no where near as scenic as Hwy 12. Hwy 12 is one of my most favorite scenic drives.

9/18 ????? Capitol Reef to Milford is almost 200 miles in the opposite direction of Mesa Verde.

Milford to Promotory Point is almost 330 miles and again not in the direction of Mesa Verde.

Capitol Reef to Mesa Verde, CO via Hites Crossing on Hwy 95 is 280 miles. I would stay on Hwy 95 and visit Natural Bridges National Monument.

I don't know what back road you plan on taking from Cataract Canyon to Hwy 211 in the Needles District of Canyonlands but if it involves going thought the Maze District of Canyonlands it will take two to three days to drive from what I've read. I also think you will need a permit.

You are doing a lot of driving to get to Mesa Verde and then won't have much time to really see the park. Doing one of the ranger guided tours is really worth the time.

The campgrounds in Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Natural Bridges National Monument, Canyonlands, Needles District, Mesa Verde, Hoveenweep National Monument, Monument Valley & Navajo National Monument are all very nice. Monument Valley's big draw is the 360 degrees of scenery. I recommend camping there instead of Mexican Hat, Kayenta or Tuba City.

Utahtea

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:33 AM

There are two ways that I know of to get from Torrey to Newspaper Rock in one day.

Hwy 24, 95, 191 to 211. This route is 226 miles and will take 6 to 6 1/2 hours of just driving time. On this route there is gas in Hansville, Blanding, Monticello and maybe at Hite. Hite marina was closed the last I heard, but I think the gas station is still there.

On this route is Natural Bridges National Monument and near by is Mule Canyon Indian Ruins. I think there are other ruins in the area.

http://www.frycanyon.com/ruins.html

If you decide to go to Newspaper Rock you should drive the rest of the way on paved Hwy 211 into the Needles District of Canyonlands.

The other route would be to take Hwy 24 to I-70 and Hwy 191 down to 211. This route is 210 miles and will take about 5 hours of just driving time. Gas in Hanksville, Green River and Moab.

On this route you will pass Moab, Utah which is close to Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District, Arches National Park, Dead Horse State Park & the Potash road with more petroglphys. All of which requires a couple of days to see. The Shafer Trail & Long Trail are easy, scenic 4 wheel drive roads that I would recommend in the area.

I would not try to get from Hwy 95 thought Cataract Canyon with out talking to someone who had done it before!!!!! Please be forwarned that driving on some 4 wheel drive roads in Utah is VERY slow going. Maybe 10 miles per hour or EVEN slower in some areas...depending on the road and weather!

Mesa Verde campground to Kayenta via Hwy 160 is 135 miles and will take about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to drive.

If you take Hwy 160, Hwy 41, Hwy 262, Hwy 163 to Mexican Hat and Monument Valley to Kayenta, then it's about 170 miles and will take about 4 hours to drive. If you add Hoveenweep National Monument then add it's 200 miles and 5 - 5 1/2 hours of driving.

Utahtea