San Diego Zoo July 4th - Insane Idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While half of SoCal heads to Vegas for the holiday weekend, we are heading to San Diego. I thought the zoo might be a nice way to spend a few hours on the morning of July 4th. Is this a crazy idea? I really don't deal well with crowds.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Probably one of the better ideas. Much better than going to the beach (with the other 2 million people)!

I'm sure it will be crowded, but it may not be that bad. Sea World does a fireworks show, so I would venture that Sea World would be much more crowded than the zoo.

Besides, if it's that bad, you can always stroll around Balboa Park and check out some museums which would be much more manageable.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:20 PM

I work at the Zoo and Malvado is right - it will definitely be less crowded than the beach. The actual holidays are less crowded than the day after.

What I would suggest is get there at 9 AM when we open. Head down Fern Canyon to go see the pandas. There will be a long line later. Then, take the escalator across the street from the Canyon Cafe and head back to the entrance. Take the Guided Bus tour and then get your hand stamped so that you can ride the Express Bus for free the rest of the day. We have a lot of hills at the Zoo so let the Express Bus get you to the top - then you can walk down.

Night Zoo just started - we are open until 10 PM everyday until Labor Day. There a lot of activites that don't start until the late afternoon. So, if you want to take a break and wander around Balboa Park, you can get your hand stamped at the Exit and then reenter the Zoo later the same day.

In the last couple of months we have had several babies born - orangutan, giraffe, bonobo (or pygmy chimp) and koalas. You can take the Skyfari Ride to get a birds-eye view of the Zoo and the Children's Zoo has a petting corral.

The current issue of Zoonooz Magazine has several self-guided tours to help you plan your visit.

Enjoy your visit to the Zoo!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:59 AM
ltt

sounds like a good idea. taking the bus tour first thing is a good idea so you get your barings. if you are only staying a "few hours" you won't be able to see everything. definitly visit the polar bears and the hippos. very cool. if you get hungry, the restaurant in the zoo is suppose to be pretty good.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:13 AM

We went to the zoo on the fourth a few years ago. We were one of the first in the lines that morning and it was still cool. The animals as I understand, like to come out when it is cool in the morning.

We had a great time. Nice place to get your walking in. Don't forget to say hi to the polar bears. I love their habitat there. It is a very fun place to spend some time.

And then like the previous poster said, take a walk in Balboa Park, another one of my favorite places. Beautiful archetecture and landscaping.

You could also catch a movie at the Imax at the Rueben H. Fleet Science museum. There is lots to do at Balboa Park. They even have a pretty good restaurant there, the Prado. I have not eaten there but read good reviews. Have a happy and safe fourth of July.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:09 AM

I love the IMAX films at the Reuben H. Fleet. The Prado is a nice restaurant - good food. The Old Globe Theatre just started its summer season - they will be doing several Shakespeare plays. Like Heavens said - plenty to do in Balboa Park. I'm glad I get to work there.

Right when we open at 9 AM is the best time to come to the Zoo. The animals are more active when the weather is cooler. It is also the least crowded part of the day. I love working there. There are not too many jobs where you hear the roar of lions when you arrive at work.

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 10:15 AM

May I add the weather is supposed to be nice in San Diego this weekend.

K.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:13 PM

OK, now you make me want to go to the zoo on fourth of July. Haven't been there in a long time. But it is one of the greatest places to walk, and walk. Just be sure you take good shoes. And be sure and try a churro. They are good, especially when they are warm.

The Imax movies right now are very good. There is the YOung Black Stallion movie, Forces Of Nature, and the Coral Reef. All of these are supposed to be good. They are usually only about an hour long, so shouldn't put a big dent in our, I mean your, day...
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:41 PM

We were there in mid May - Sunday was so jammed early we went to Ensenada, MX. to look at real estate.
The parking lot was 1/2 full on Monday AM, but no congestion anywhere inside the zoo. Great place; great Flora along with the World Class Fauna!
Be sure to see the Rhinos - perhaps they'll let your children throw "heads" of Romaine into the critters' open mouths.
Glad the Bonobo's pregnancy was successful - great happy animals!
M
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Fodorites! This is really great info!

I don't know if I can get my **s out of bed early enough to get to the zoo by 9am, but I'll try.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Ended up at the zoo on the 4th. Got there at about 9:30am. Parking was no problem.

We took the guided bus tour right away while there was no line. Then we took the skyfari and worked our way back toward the entrance.

We ended up leaving around 1pm as my patience with people who were simultaneously yelling at their children and into their cell phones had run out.

Why can't people leave their bloody cell phones at home? But I digress...

The zoo was lovely and the weather was spectacular. I especially enjoyed the first two hours.

Thanks again for the great advice!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And thanks for your follow-up post to let us know how it went.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the post. I hope to get there for the first time in a few weeks. What's the skyfari? Did you get to see the pandas?

rj007 what about going at night? Good idea?
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

I did see the Pandas, or at least their backs. They were all sleeping. It was not terribly exciting.

The skyfari is a gondola that goes across the park. I may be mistaken, but I have a feeling it's the one they removed from Disneyland that used to go through the Matterhorn.

Can't answer about the zoo at night. We left at 1pm.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:12 PM

I am curious to know if these are the same pandas that were there when I went on Labor Day in 1997. (I'm positive that's when I went, because it was 2 days after Princess Diana was killed.) Anyway, one of the pandas we saw actually waved at the crowd, but I thought I heard that pair was transferred to another zoo.

Glad you had a good time! Did you ride the little "person-powered" carriage from the parking lot to the entrance? What the heck is that thing called?

Donna
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 03:01 PM

One of the pandas you saw, at least, was Bai Yun, the mother of the famous Hua Mei who has now returned to China. But last year she had another cub, this one a male.

You can gets all sorts of information at the San Diego Zoo web site, including the wonderful PandaCam, which lets you see the pandas when they're more active than during the warm San Diego summer days.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Vegaslocal

I'm glad you had a good time at the Zoo. I would suggest you come back after Labor Day when the tourists have gone home and the zoo is much quieter (fewer cell phones and kids). That said, October is Free Kids month - though not as bad as in past years - still a lot of kids. The first Monday in October is Founder's Day. Admission to Zoo - free but as you might expect very crowded. Also, fall is a great time to visit the Wild Animal Park which is 30 miles north of the Zoo - monorail to take you around plus some nice hiking trails.

The Skyfari ride opened in 1970 so they are not the same gondolas that were at the Matterhorn. Walt Disney came to the Zoo to get ideas for Disneyland. Steven Spielberg came to the Zoo before he made E.T. Notice E.T.'s head is very similar to that of the Galapagos Tortoise.

mclaurie - I would say it is a good idea, but it is very popular and will be crowded. As I mentioned in my earlier post a lot of the shows don't start until the late afternoon, but they are fun. And, of course, it is much cooler.

dwoodliff - We sent the adult male Shi Shi back to China last year and replaced him with another male Gao Gao. Bai Yun and Shi Shi did not get along. I remember a lot of snarling whenever we put them together. Pandas are solitary by nature and since there were problems Bai Yun was artificially inseminated. Hua Mei was the happy result. The new adult male is the father of our newest youngster who was born last Aug 19.

As Underhill mentions the website for the Zoo can give you lots of good info.

Also, just this past week we brought down some African cattle from the Wild Animal Park. They have horns that will remind you of Texas Longhorns.

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:57 PM

Donna,

They are called pedicabs and I don't believe they are in our parking lot anymore as it has been awhile since I have seen any. Unless they are there in the late afternoon. I finish work at 2:30 and haven't seen any before then.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about the skyfari, rj007. I just love getting the inside scoop!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:46 AM

You're welcome!