Little Wild Horse Canyon-Utah itinerary

Old Feb 17th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Wild Horse Canyon-Utah itinerary

Flying into SLC, driving to Moab to explore Arches (1 day), Canyonlands (1 day), and another day of either rafting or kayaking in the area. I'd like to also hike through a slot canyon at Little Wild Horse Canyon. Our plan is to drive there from Moab, hike around, then drive to SLC to spend the night before flying out the next morning. Does the day of driving and hiking through LWHC make sense time-wise and direction-wise? Also, any input on the hike through the slot canyon - is several hours sufficient?
Thanks very much in advance!
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 06:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a couple of slot canyons in Arches NP. One is on the way out to Landscape Arch. Are you intending to see more of Canyonlands than the island in the Sky section? I'm hoping that your day in Arches is not the day that you are driving down from SLC. You'll get a lot more out of your trip if you add one or two more days. One of the prime spots in Arches is Delicate Arch but it does take a good hike to get there.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 04:35 AM

When are you planning on doing this trip? It will take more than 2 hours to get to the LWH trailhead, and at least 4 hours to do the round trip then more than 4 hours to get from there to SLC. I don't like driving in this area after dark, because I've seen deer, cows, horses etc. in the area on the roads. That means that you would have to leave Moab by sunrise to get to SLC before sunset unless you are planning in June when days are longer. It will be hotter than I'd like to hike the slot when it is that hot.

There is so much to do in the Moab area and more of Arches and Canyonlands to explore than could be done in the time you've given yourself. You could do a day in Canyonlands Island in the Sky and a day in Needles District. You also could explore the Kane Creek area or Fisher Towers area.

If you plan on more trips to the area and are just doing this to decide on time needed for future trips, then you could squeeze it in.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 05:52 AM

It will take you two hours to drive from Moab to Little Wildhorse. A long part of the road is a graded gravel road. This will void your insurance on your rental car. Up to you whether or not you do it. If it has rained recenly, dont go. Then you will go back out north toward I70 and up to Price and Slc. This would take about 5 hours.

you can hike in as far as you want then turn around. There is a long loop that contin ues through Bell Canyon although this section isnt as scenic.

i would suggest another option that wont have you spending all this time backtracking. Look into a canyon tour with one of the guide services in Moab. You can go canyoneering, no crowds and learn to rappell! All right in Moab. There are endless canyons, slots, and amazing places everywhere in southern Utah. No need to drive out of your way on this short trip.

​​​​​​​plus LWHC is very popular and crowded.

Last edited by Dayle; Feb 18th, 2018 at 05:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Tomfuller, emalloy & Dayle - Thank you so much for your suggestions. I've decided to stay put in Moab and skip LWHC this time. Sounds like too much driving! I'd love to try the Chesler Park Trail in Needles but isn't the trailhead 2 hours from Moab? What's your opinion about the Devil's Garden hike in Arches that supposedly has 10 arches? I don't think I'm up for canyoneering, but would love to go on the Fiery Furnace hike. I understand that in April, tkts are first come, first served. Any idea about how difficult it is to obtain those (how early does one need to be at visitor center?).
Have any of you done whitewater rafting or a kayak trip? The latter on calm water sounds very appealing.
I realize I've asked about 10 more questions, so I will thank you in advance for any more helpful suggestions.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 01:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
When we went to that area, we stayed at the Robbers Roost motel in Green River which was much cheaper than anything in Moab. The places we went other than Arches and Island in the Sky were Goblin Valley SP and Capitol Reef NP.
I do remember walking through 2 slot canyons in Arches. The Moab Diner is a great place for lunch. If you have some extra time, there is a good pre-history museum in Price on the way back to SLC.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 01:29 PM

A half day float trip on the river is quite enjoyable. The guides are great and tell you a lot about the history and geology of the area. It's pretty relaxing and most trips stop for an included lunch.

The Fiery Furnace hike is a favorite of mine. I've done it twice. Get on the Arches (nps.gov) web site to get current details on obtaining reservations. The parks have become so much busier in the last few years that I think they have expanded the availability. April is prime time in Moab so I think they should be accepting reservations by then. If you can't get res on line for April, stop in the Visitor's Center on your way into town. If you have several days, you can be flexible and plan the rest of your activities around availability for the hike.

The Devil's Garden hike can be as long as you want. Most people just go as far as Landscape Arch which is only about a mile out. If you want to go further, you can hike to many additional arches and this area is gorgeous. Beautiful views plus arches. If you do the entire primitive loop, it's a long hike. If I remember correctly about 9 mi. You can do a shorter version if you skip the arch that is on the primitive loop.

Yes, the drive down the the Needles District is almost 2 hours without stops.

One fairly easy hike I love is Corona Arch. Head west on the highway out of Moab, stop and see the petroglyphs and rock climbers along the way. Continue out to the hike.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 02:34 PM

The Chesler Park Region is amazing--really amazing. But it can be long and you need to be in good shape. Other fun hikes to do in Canyonland are Cave Springs and there is another one--click on my user name for trip reports covering Moab/Arches/Canyonlands. The FF hike in Arches is really cool but I think I like Little Wildhorse or Chesler Park more. We just did Hunter Canyon in Moab which was really cool and Fisher Towers is an otherworldly experience. Moab is awesome for the short amount of time you have. Check out Arches and Canyonlands NPS web sites--they will have plenty of info on the hikes available. Then check out the MoabVisitors Center website for great info on Moab area hikes. We are currently in Moab for the weekend--great town.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 03:11 PM

Be very careful driving back Stantonhyde. We are supposed to get a lot of snow tonight and tomorrow. The storm is very slowly coming in.....
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very helpful suggestions!
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 03:21 AM

If you want a hike in arches then Delicate Arch and Fiery Furnace are a bit more hike like than Devil's garden to Landscape which is easier. In Island in the Sky I love the view through Mesa Arch and it is pretty easy to get out there. Also there the Grandview area is fun to explore.

To see the "trail" to Delicate Arch you can see a picture at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009 scroll down to where you see us at Delicate Arch, the next picture was taken on the way back down - click on it to expand in the far distance you can see the cars in the parking area. The slick rock with cairns is steeper on the way up than I was expecting.
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:45 PM

The full Devil's Garden loop is a lot of fun. There are some sections where you need to pay attention so you don't lose the trail, but no serious route finding. Just pay attention to the cairns and you'll be fine. You'll lose the most of the crowds after Landscape Arch.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 12:53 PM

Canyonlands Needles is one of most scenic parks in Utah, although I favor The Maze more
Both favor 4-wheel drive and/or hiking. No road touring with a video camera poking out a window.
I'll be going back there this May for Chesler and Beef Basin that has a fantastic ancient Indian ruin (s)
This will be my 4th trip to give you an idea of how vast that area is for hiking.

Go to Amazon > book > search for - Canyonlands Needles
The All American Man is one of the best single person pictographs I've ever seen.
Somewhat a moderate difficult hike to it but very rewarding to see it.
Google: all american man pictograph

Vaga
A forum discussing is inadequate.

Len
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 01:00 PM

Canyonlands Needles
Forgot
This is the only national park, to my knowledge, that has 'faces'
Most populareare 5 Faces that is about a 300 yard walk from the trailhead at Davis Canyon
There are many more 'faces' including blue colored faces

Google: Canyonland national park 5 faces

Vaga
PS. Pink Sand Dunes STATE park has one panel with 'faces' but they are not as dramatic